[How do I?] How do I use the taper attachment on a Famot Europa?

Squawk-VFR

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I picked up a Toolmex/ Famot Europa lathe, basically a TUM-35 from what I can figure. Nice machine overall but I'm a dummy and can't figure out how to use the taper attachment. I feel like it may be missing something for the bar that sticks out of the tailstock end to go into. Any insight?IMG_7547.JPGIMG_7546.JPGIMG_7545.JPG

You mean like the block that fits the rod and clamps it to the bedway?
I'm assuming so, I've never used a taper attachment before so I honestly don't know what I'm looking for with that. Is there anything else I would need to make this work?

it looks like just the block and clamps. The block clamps to the bed , and to the rod. it holds the taper attachment and prevents it from moving.
you'll also need to figure out how to disengage your cross slide while using it.

it looks like just the block and clamps. The block clamps to the bed , and to the rod. it holds the taper attachment and prevents it from moving.
you'll also need to figure out how to disengage your cross slide while using it.
Yes on the block that clamps to the bed to hold the protruding rod. Maybe, maybe not on disengaging the cross slide - depends if that machine is set up with the telescoping cross slide screw (my Enterprise lathe has a very similar looking TTA, no need to disengage the cross slide lead screw).

The TTA on my smaller lathe does not use the bed clamp (a substantial casting bolts to the back of the lathe bed, then the cross slide is bolted to the sliding block of the TTA using the same bolt / nut that attaches the cross slide screw to the cross slide handwheel) - it looks much different than the set up the OP has on his machine.

In fairness, I am only familiar with the two styles of TTAs that I have on my lathes - I don't doubt that there may be other configurations which make my observations / comments irrelevant.

I have a Toolmex Famot TUM 35D2. The difference between mine and the Europa is the latter has an inverter drive, no gear box in the base, and no clutch/brake combo. I believe the Europa also uses weldments for the bases rather than cast iron, so it is about 500 pounds lighter. Mine does not have a taper attachment but to the best of my knowledge they are all telescopic tapers. I’ve posted a picture of the manual and directions and use of the taper attachment but it is pretty straightforward stuff. I’ve also included a picture of the brochure I have for the machine and a picture of my machine. There are a few unique features of these machines that you may already be aware of. If not and are interested, let me know.

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg IMG_0537.jpg IMG_0538.jpg IMG_0540.jpg IMG_0541.jpg IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

Thanks so much for the that! I haven't been able to find much information on the europa model specifically so I've been basing most things off the TUM 35. May I ask where you got your manuals from? I can't find much online for them and it only came with electrical schematics.

Back