United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

CUTTING KEYWAYS IN A PULLEY!!!

Has anyone cut a keyway in a steel pulley without a broach? I was thinking about ways to do it, like using a blank cutter from a lathe and using a press taking small cuts or maybe a drill press in off position as a press taking small cuts. I have done one where the center of my tractor rear drive pulley wore out a few years ago and could not find one anywhere, odd size, so I found a piece of pipe or tubing with the right I.D. and cut a slit in it for the key and drilled out the pulley hub to the right O.D., then tact welded it in. It is still working fine. I also cut a woodruf key from a thick washer. I did not want to finish cutting grass with a push mower, lazzy I guess. Does anybody have any new or old ideas on how to do this?
    Paul
    To error is human, but doing it a second time takes a better excuse!

City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: CUTTING KEYWAYS IN A PULLEY!!!

One old standby is to push it in the lathe. Chuck the pulley, and with a 90 deg boring bar that holds square tool steel, grind a flat nose, positive rake tool with side clearance on both flanks. Orient it horizontally on center and with minimum bar hangout (for rigidity) dial in a few thousandths at a time and push it through the bore. Lock the chuck to prevent rotation. Use cutting oil. If you take only light cuts, the stress on the carriage is acceptable. Make sure your tool width at the nose is adequate. If you have to sharpen the tool, take as little as possible, or you may lose width.
    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist."

-Louis Nizer

City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Very nice, Ed. Yours? The firs time I ever did a keyway on a lathe, I only wished I had something like those. I just cranked it out!

Other method - GET A SHAPER!!! It's a very popular model maker machine. I'm a little surprised no one has talked about having on here yet. They're very versatile, and can make things so much easier and quicker than other machines, and sometimes they're just about the only practical way. I think every home shop should have a small one.
    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist."

-Louis Nizer

City
    Palo Alto
    State
    California
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Heere's my shaper:

I use it on the mill to cut keyways, and it works quickly and easily. After some time aligning it up nicely, I just plunge it through the hole, advancing the table .001" at each stroke. Very little cutting force for each stroke, and I'm done in a flash:

5. Likes Plum Creek liked this post
    City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Very good, Frank. Nice looking keyway.

-Louis Nizer

City
    Bridgeville
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I was looking for a quick low teck way of cutting a keyway. I have a double pulley with 3/4" bore, but I need 5/8" for my lathe motor. I did put another on with a single pulley just to get it going. Maybe a press fit shim in pulley to match pulley & shaft? What would McGiver do with limited tools?
    Paul
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 12-01-11 at 08:51 PM.

City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Machine your sleeve to fit od and id (3/4 x 5/8")...then mill a slot through one wall the width of the key, but only halfway lengthwise. Press into pulley bore. Secure with set screws and loctite if paranoid.
    That's the cheat I can come up with right quick.

-Louis Nizer

Highpower

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ford link=topic=1384.msg7409#msg7409 date=1300806051
    Heere's my shaper:

I use it on the mill to cut keyways, and it works quickly and easily. After some time aligning it up nicely, I just plunge it through the hole, advancing the table .001" at each stroke. Very little cutting force for each stroke, and I'm done in a flash:

Frank,

Do you make different sized cutters for different width's etc., or is it all done with table movements?
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 12-01-11 at 08:52 PM.

City
    Bridgeville
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Tony,
    No mill at this time, but I do have a hacksaw. I was going to make a milling attachment for the lathe, but not right away, it's on my list. I will tack weld or locktite sleeve though, maybe 1/8" longer at each end.
    Paul

Aluminum
    City
    Newcastle
    State
    NSW Australia
    Country
    Australia
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

PKF134
    I think what Tony meant in his first post was to use the lathe saddle to make the keyway, not a special slotting attachment as shown in mnmh's post. If you look at Franks pics using a drill press or mill, the principle is the same. The pulley is in the chuck and the tool in the tool post. Just use the saddle handwheel to push the tool through.
    regards
    bollie7

Brass
    City
    Motherwell
    State
    Scotland U.K.
    Country
    UK
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Hi Guys,
    Only just in the door and i am back again ! I am thrilled at the various ingenious approaches everyone has brought up, and the nice finishes on the workpiece, which in the case of the home shoppers, is more in line in most cases with the small jobbing shops of some years back, where quality &craftsmanship, not to forget individuality reigned supreme.
    It is on occasions when i have to cut a keyway, i realise how lucky i am in being the owner of an old last war Denham of Halifax, slotting machine, When i obtained this machine it was worn on the ram, and i was fortunate to get a man to slideway grind it for me, & i used the ram to scrape the column slideways to alignment It certainly paid off
    Prior to this period, i always either racked the saddle of the lathe back and forward, or alternatively used the shaper with a cutter bar, and locked the clapper box down

As a workholding fixture, i had a cast (fairly substantial )aluminium angle plate, with a hole in the centre This old angle plate, was the product of a quick lunch break excercise, Believe it or not the foreman joined in as well, The old firm did not mind the occasional "Chinese Government Contract" as long as the privilidge was not abused or one asked to make something the size of Titanics anchor

Even using the slotting machine, which is a heavy solid machine, On the last cuts, like you folks, i let the tool take some cuts at the final line without any feed application, this leads to a nice parallel keybed make haste slowly

Does anyone have a slotting attachment for their milling machines? This is a handy thing, In the old factory i worked for one of these was set up and its task, was paring square holes in valve handwheels

Dan.
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 12-01-11 at 08:59 PM.