United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Taiwan Milling Machine

Has anyone had any experience or knowledge of a "First" knee milling machine made by Lang Chang Machine company in Taiwan? It is a knee machine similar to a Bridgeport. I just purchased it along with a surface grinder and am hoping I didn't buy an expensive white elephant. I am in the process of putting an Enco power feed on the X axis and have found that I'm having to do a lot of machine work. There has to be a better PF than what I got from Enco. I want to put one on the Y ans Z axis but not going to if I have to do as much machining as I am with the table. I'm at the point of no return but not at the point that I know it will work. Fortunately I have a mill drill that I was going to sell but had to put it back in running condition to make what I needed for the "First". The problem is that I'm working with SAE and Metric both so I'm having to order bushings and then turn them. Thanks

City
    New Port Richey
    State
    Florida
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Taiwan Milling Machine

I have nothing but chinese made machines mills and lathes except for a few sherlines and i have always concidered them to be casting kits requiring effort on my part to make them truely worth having. that said when all done they are reliable and well worth my efforts concidering my cost compared to old iron.
    a lot of people buy old machines and rebuild them with mixed results some never getting the original accuracy. so i guess what i'm saying is my machines are as much a part of my projects as what i make with them and as long as i know that they have not disappointed me. at least they are new and not worn out when i start using them, how long they will last is yet to be seen but i'm a hobby machinst not a production shop. from everything i have read about the machines made in tailand they are a lot better built and fit that the chinese so your final results could work out really well. machining parts to make better equipment is part of the hobby for me.
    steve
    " Where There Is A Will... my kids want to be in it "
    " no brains no headaches "

Former Member
    City
    Cottage Grove
    State
    Minnesota
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I have taught at several of the machine builders in Taiwan and I think First is the same as Sharpe. I will contact my friends over there and ask them. I have had good luck buying parts for a Mill-Rite Mill that are sold by High Quality Tool who also sell Bridgeport parts. http://hqtinc.com/

The Tawian machinery has really improved over the past few years but some of the older machines were bad. I remember when we used to say Japanese junk..now look at the high quality machines built in Japan.

I am a machine tool rebuilder and can help you with the issues you are having, so please ask away. I would think most of the Enco products are made in China.

When I am in Taiwan I feel like I am in the USA as they were allies after WW2 and admired us. They want to build better machines. Many of the Engineers, doctors and dentist attended US Universities. Most there speaks English. Taiwan is not the same as China.

Brass
    City
    Delta
    State
    British Columbia
    Country
    Canada
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Taiwan is not the same as China.
    Taiwan ROC (republic of china). It's amazing what a few miles of water will do though!
    Had a student here from Taiwan, and if you ever said to him (or anyone else!) that he was from China, you got a quick lesson on why not.

Did 10 years at a tool&machinery importing company.
    In 1990, Japan was #1, anything out of Taiwan was iffy, China or India... uhhhh... be lucky if it didn't come back in a day or 3 under warranty!
    By 2000, Japan was priced out of the market, Taiwan was perfectly respectable (if not Japan quality from 10 years past ), China was becoming iffy.... India still sucked.

Who know what will happen in another 10!

City
    Pleasant View
    State
    Utah
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)
    OzzModz Classifieds

I have a Tiawan 6x26 knee mill that I cannot get parts for, does anyone know where I might find hard parts like Gibs and way wipers? Tim

Former Member
    City
    Cottage Grove
    State
    Minnesota
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    I have a Tiawan 6x26 knee mill that I cannot get parts for, does anyone know where I might find hard parts like Gibs and way wipers? Tim

It always helps to have a brand name, model and a few pictures. Rich