United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: My Logan 12x24 lathe project

Oldskull, nice looking lathe, thanks for sharing with us.
    1949 South Bend heavy 10L
    Burke #4 horizontal / vertical mill
    Wells 8M horizontal band saw
    Baldor tool grinder

Chips
    City
    Terrebonne
    State
    Province du Quebec
    Country
    Canada
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Tank you sir! I didn't want to hijack the OP thread , just show him he is not alone to own a little Logan. I see you got a Burke mill, I see one for sale at a close action here on my side of the fence...Powermatic MVN Millrite (1974) I don't know the value of those, they are rare and she look clean...I post pictures and info in Milling section ASAP.

Aluminum
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

No worries on the hijacking, I like to see other peoples machinery too. Your 2525 seems to be a somewhat older equivalent of my 2555 from looking at the Logan website. Any idea what year it was built? I'm also envious you have your big "Logan" plate on the front of the headstock, hopefully I'll find one eventually.

I got some more painting done last night (free hand painting the letters on the back belt cover) and did a bunch more cleaning on lathe bed and headstock. Should be able to get that painted soon (maybe tomorrow as I have the day off). I'm still waiting on the new change lever shaft and oilite bushings for the QC box from Logan, so I haven't done more cleaning on that. I'll post up some pics of the back cover when I get a chance.

City
    clinton township
    State
    Michigan
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkull View Post
    Tank you sir! I didn't want to hijack the OP thread , just show him he is not alone to own a little Logan. I see you got a Burke mill, I see one for sale at a close action here on my side of the fence...Powermatic MVN Millrite (1974) I don't know the value of those, they are rare and she look clean...I post pictures and info in Milling section ASAP.
    I almost closed a deal on one of those millrites, they are closer to a bridgeport but a little smaller and not quite as powerful, larger table too. My little burke will serve me well for what I want to do with it and in the space I have. A millright would have to stay in my unheated garage as I don't think I could get it in the basement due to the weight, even if I took it apart, and it is much larger than my burke and it might not fit in the space the burke is in. I even passed on a loaded rong fu mill to get the burke for the same money, I like a knee mill.
    OOPS! Thread jack..............just a little conversation while we are waiting for pics. LOL
    Baldor tool grinder

Chips
    City
    Terrebonne
    State
    Province du Quebec
    Country
    Canada
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Only difference between a 2525V and a 2555V it's the 3 drawer on mine, that's why she's 30 pounds heavier! If I remember well the serial number date my lathe to 1967 or 1969..... This never bother me since the bed look as good has new. I seen a OEM plate for sale on Ebay last year, you may get lucky and found one again.

The only problem with the Millrite is tilting the head! It's a Payne in the a...But some fit a Bridgeport head, not sure if it's a "M" or a "J" with 2 hp motor.

Here a pic of the Millrite She's just 6 feet's high UPDATE THIS MILLING IS MINE NOW !
    FS332187-236191.jpg
    Last edited by OldSkull; 06-27-13 at 04:20 PM.

Aluminum
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Only difference between a 2525V and a 2555V it's the 3 drawer on mine, that's why she's 30 pounds heavier! If I remember well the serial number date my lathe to 1967 or 1969..... This never bother me since the bed look as good has new. I seen a OEM plate for sale on Ebay last year, you may get lucky and found one again.
    Ah ok, didn't know that was the difference, the Logan site doesn't mention it beyond saying "cabinet" on yours and "pedestal" on mine. The only difference I can see between them is mine has three shelves with a door and yours has 3 drawers. Other than that the cabinet is the same, not really sure how that would make the 35lbs of difference between them (though those weights are shipping, not actual lathe weights, so it could be how they were packed). If yours is a late '60s it's actually newer than mine, which was built in '61 (same year as I was), what's your serial number?

Aluminum
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

As promised, more pics...

I took the day off today and did the final cleaning on the lathe bed/beadstock, then scuffed it up and cleaned it with wax/grease remover. I got most of a first coat on it before I ran out of paint (great pre-planning Bill), went over to Lowes and picked up more paint and some rollers to finish off the first coat. Now I just have to put a couple more coats on the upper then clean/scuff/mask the lower cabinet so it can be painted and disassemble/clean/paint the tailstock. Tailstock has already been apart and cleaned once already though so it's just a matter of getting the fresh oil back off of it and scuffing before paint. I may do a little detail painting on some of the handles as well... we'll see how ambitious I am. This isn't "restoration" quality work by any means (since I'm not stripping anything or really going gung ho on chip removal), but it still looks a lot better than before.

Todays progress...

Belt covers were already done but I hadn't posted pics... I freehand painted the overlay on the "Logan" letters. They were green when I got it so that's what they got repainted.

Back and front pics of the bed/headstock with one coat on it. I had the thought that I might do the top headstock cover with automotive undercoat or PlastiDip as I tend to lay tools on it and that will have a little grip and not chip instantly.

Chips
    City
    Terrebonne
    State
    Province du Quebec
    Country
    Canada
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Looking good!

I check back the serial number on mine, number is 82458 fabricate in 1966 but purchase in 1967 by the Transport Safety Board of Canada (Air division) I register my lathe on the Yahoo Logan group list today This lathe is 6 year younger then me!

PS: the drawers got 5 metal surfaces instead of one for shelves and trust me they are "Solid state heavy duty" one. To get quality like that today you have to take a second mortgage....
    Last edited by OldSkull; 06-29-13 at 01:28 PM.

Aluminum
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Looking good!

I check back the serial number on mine, number is 82458 fabricate in 1966 but purchase in 1967 by the Transport Safety Board of Canada (Air division) I register my lathe on the Yahoo Logan group list today This lathe is 6 year younger then me!

PS: the drawers got 5 metal surfaces instead of one for shelves and trust me they are "Solid state heavy duty" one. To get quality like that today you have to take a second mortgage....

Thank you!... it will be nice enough to look good from 5' but not so good I'll be afraid to use it.

You're right, I imagine those drawers are super heavy considering how heavy duty the cabinet itself is.

Didn't get anything done today so far on it, had to fix the daily driver whose ignition switch gave up yesterday and it's ~90 degrees out here today (32 for you folk up in Canada).

Chips
    City
    Terrebonne
    State
    Province du Quebec
    Country
    Canada
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Well I'm a few hundred miles from you and from were I stand she look perfect

26c here today and I work in my garage all day moving stuff and prepare my trailer for the 2hr trip from my home to Gatineau and another 2hr back home but this time with a 1400lbs load I wish to get to destination in one piece.....I even bring a tarp I don't trust weather channel

Aluminum
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Now for something completely different...

No, not a man with three buttocks. (with respect to Monty Python)

I decided I'd try something I hadn't seen done with the top cover on the lathe. I have a tendency to put tools (chuck key, wrenches, etc) on the top of the lathe so they're right at hand. After going to the trouble to paint this thing I didn't want it to immediately get all chipped, so I started thinking about how I could keep that from happening.

Plastidip to the rescue! I'd been meaning to try this on something and it seemed to fit the bill. Nice tactile rubber surface so tools won't chip, easy to clean, and even a little sound deadening. Not sure if I had an original idea or not but this is the first time I've seen this done. Also painted the back gear and feed reverse levers and the lockup handwheel on the end of the spindle. In the top pic the end cover isn't on tight hence the gray line. I may put a little satin black on the faces so there can't be a line when it's assembled.

I've also gotten more done on the QC box. My parts (finally) got here from Logan, I stripped and started painting the QC casting, and did a first pass through cleaning the gearsets and such.

Casting after a couple coats...

parts semi-clean...

Hopefully I can get this back together before my folks show up for a visit in a couple weeks... I want them to see the before pic then the real thing the way it looks assembled. Not sure if I have enough time

City
    Smithville
    State
    Missouri
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Looking good!

It'll be interesting to see how that PlastiDip holds up. How did you apply it?

Steve
    Logan Model 815 lathe
    Rockwell Model 21-100 Mill
    Atlas 7b Shaper (currently in kit form)
    Crescent Wrench
    Hammer

Aluminum
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by stevecmo View Post
    Looking good!

It'll be interesting to see how that PlastiDip holds up. How did you apply it?

Steve
    Me too Steve, I hadn't played with it before. It was an aerosol can that I bought.

Aluminum
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Made some more progress today... cleaned the undersides of the ways and put the rack back in place. Put all the belt covers back on, put the saddle/cross slide/tape attachment back on. The back cover was originally held on with nice thumbscrews, which of course are long gone. When I got the lathe the cover was held on with a motley collection of bolts and nuts. I went down to the local hardware store hoping to find thumbscrews but was only able to find the plastic covers that you put on an allen bolt so bought enough to put the cover on for now. Later when it's running I'll make some proper ones.

More pics...

Now to finish up the quickchange box so I can reinstall it, finish cleaning/painting the lower cabinet and tailstock, then wire it up.

City
    clinton township
    State
    Michigan
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Man she's looking really good! Excellent work sir. I am really enjoying watching this one come together. We appreciate you taking the time to post pics.
    Baldor tool grinder

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by woodtickgreg View Post
    Man she's looking really good! Excellent work sir. I am really enjoying watching this one come together. We appreciate you taking the time to post pics.
    I agree! These lathes seem to be somewhat rare. There are all sorts of Logan 9 and 10 inch around these parts (B'ham, AL) but I have not seen any of the larger Logans. There are a lot of South Bend 14 and up if you can pry them from the owners hands. My experience with my Logan 10 inch has been excellent, I think it performs as well as a South Bend 10 heavy, just a little different in the design.

Looking great and my thanks, too, for the posts. G Morgan

Aluminum
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Thanks guys, it's been a lot of work but it will be worth it. Glad you're liking the pics, I try to document what I do... kind of a habit from doing auto restorations. The more pics you take the less time you spend putting things back together 6 months later. Next up after this... my Bridgeport clone (which needs wayyyyy more work than the lathe did).

Chips
    City
    Terrebonne
    State
    Province du Quebec
    Country
    Canada
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

WOW! You almost convince me to paint mine! Lucky the original finish still look good enough after a good cleaning.

For those interested This Logan 12" use the same bed as the 11" or 10" Logan, Only the headstock made them a totally different "animal", but the version wearing Powermatic green color is the best of the bunch...

Aluminum
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

One of the things that had me a bit worried on this lathe was the fact that the crossfeed dial is super hard to read. I've used a solid paint stick to renovate dials at work a bunch of times in the past with great success, but it wasn't working in this case due to the lack of depth of the lines on the dial (same thing that makes them really hard to read). A new dial from Logan is about $150 and given the the line depth looks like it was that way from new there's no saying a new dial would fix the issue.

I've run machines without a DRO in the past, but my formal training (4 year apprenticeship) and professional experience was all in an industrial environment where everything has a DRO. That said, I just couldn't justify spending over 50% of what the lathe cost on even the cheapest Chinese DRO setups (~$450). So while trying to decide what to do I ran across this... http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showt...RO-s-Available . While they're sort of a pain due to them shutting off automatically, having batteries, and having to deal with multiple displays I figured they were better than nothing.

Then I found this thread... http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showt...ss-DRO-project ... I downloaded the app to the Nook HD+ tablet I already own and played with it a bit. Super easy to read, completely flexible from a feature standpoint (Yuriy is currently adding hole layout/setup and RPM functions as a for instance) and I'm never locked into where the display is at, as long as it's in range of the Bluetooth. If it's in the way I just move it... if a new feature comes out I just update the software (and maybe hardware in the case of RPM).

I've now ordered enough scales to do both the lathe and the mill, and the parts to build the boxes (Launchpad based for mine). Total cost with scales is under $250 for both machines, would be about $400 if I bought another tablet to have one dedicated to just using for the DRO. So I'll have a 2-axis DRO on the lathe, and a 3-axis on the mill for less than the price of one of the cheapest dedicated DRO's. It also fixes the auto-shutoff, battery, and multiple display unit issues that bothered me about the base iGaging scales.

This is why I love these forums... people sharing their ideas to everyones benefit.
    Bill J
    Logan 12x24 Lathe (2555VL) http://tinyurl.com/lu6s4uy
    Rutlands/Long Chang LC-1 Mill w/Bridgeport 2J Vari-Speed head http://tinyurl.com/kgmbjvy

City
    Santa Clara
    State
    California
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Very nice job you do awesome work . While you were gone the state sent your new license plate enjoy .

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aluminum
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Was a busy weekend with my folks coming over on Saturday but I did get the lower cabinet of the lathe cleaned, masked, and the first coat of paint on.

Bill J
    Rutlands/Long Chang LC-1 Mill w/Bridgeport 2J Vari-Speed head http://tinyurl.com/kgmbjvy

City
    clinton township
    State
    Michigan
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

She's shaping up nice, looking very nice.
    Baldor tool grinder

Aluminum
    City
    Port Orchard
    State
    Washington
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

So I finally got back to the lathe after a busy couple weeks. Saturday I managed to replace the bushings in the QC box despite the fact that I managed to not order a couple bushings I needed. I went hunting and found bushings the right size at the local hardware store but for the fact they were flanged. Took them over to a friends house and turned the flanges off and viola! Finished disassembling the QC levers, cleaned and painted them. Cleaned the "safety clutch", it's shaft, and associated gearing. Cleaned the shaft for the output gearing but put the gears in my cold parts cleaner to see if it will break some of the hardened grease loose so I don't spend hours picking it off by hand like I did with the other gearing. Managed to reassemble the QC levers tonight and assemble them to the shaft/QC box casting.

Pics...

Safety clutch and output shaft, compare to the pics above.

QC levers and internal bits... I had to hand file the keys in the new gears so they would fit the new shaft.

The QC box with the levers installed...

Bill J

City
    Smithville
    State
    Missouri
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Bill,

That thing is really coming along and really looking great! Very nice work!

Steve
    Logan Model 815 lathe
    Rockwell Model 21-100 Mill
    Atlas 7b Shaper (currently in kit form)
    Crescent Wrench
    Hammer

Brass
    City
    atlantic highlands
    State
    New Jersey
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    12.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

That is a beautiful lathe, you really did a wonderful job with her! I just purchased a little Rockwell 11x24 last week, I have been researching disassemble and reassembly, a bit daunting I have to admit , than the missing pieces and belts... but it is refreshing to see yours and watch your progress thru the rebuild.

Thanks for the thread and encouragement!

Rich
    Carpenter by trade, Dreamer by choice
    South Bend Vertical Mill model MIL 4218
    Delta Rockwell model 25-135 lathe... 11"x24"
    Enco 110-1351 gearhead gap lathe

City
    Marina Del Rey
    State
    California
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

My "new" 2557V looks very similar to yours. Where is the serial # found? The motor in mine had been changed to a 110/220v 1-phase.

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Most Logan serial numbers are stamped into the bed at the far tailstock end. You may have to use a power wire brush to reveal it. The number is on the shear closest to the operator (apron side) and is the the "flat" rail between the outside and the V way. There may be other locations, this is the location I found on three separate Logan lathes (two different models).
    Geoff Morgan

City
    Marina Del Rey
    State
    California
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by 110octane View Post
    Most Logan serial numbers are stamped into the bed at the far tailstock end. You may have to use a power wire brush to reveal it. The number is on the shear closest to the operator (apron side) and is the the "flat" rail between the outside and the V way. There may be other locations, this is the location I found on three separate Logan lathes (two different models).
    Geoff Morgan
    110--I was ready to swear there was no serial # there but the wire brush revealed it. Thanks.

Skull--Mine is a 12"x35"; serial# 67871. How can I tell the year of manufacture?

My covers are also very plain when compared to yours--no logos or embellishments.

Edit: Found the serial # list
    http://www.lathe.com/ser-no.htm

Wow! 1955!

Last edited by ezduzit; 08-08-13 at 10:38 PM.

Chips
    City
    Terrebonne
    State
    Province du Quebec
    Country
    Canada
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

ezduzit for a 1955 your bed look in pretty good shape and having the 35" bed make her a great pick! Keep the 110/220V motor if he run well, better put the money on cutting tools, I convert mine on 230V 3 phases with a VFD since she was powered with 600V 3 phases wen I bough it. Same thing for my Milrite milling (575V)

The milling on your trailer is yours to? I like it but I can figure out what it was....Rear belt drive unit, I have seen this before, what is it?

City
    Marina Del Rey
    State
    California
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Yeah, the mill and lathe were a package deal--2 orphans. The lathe came with a couple coffee cans full of cutting bits, mostly carbide. The mill is an Index Super 55. Company's still in business (Wells Index). There are some good photos of one about 1/2-way down this page:
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/index/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast