State
    Alaska
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

Horizontal Surface Grinder

what are some common uses for these machines, opportunity for me to pick one up with a mag chuck, I think of truing up cylinder heads or engine cases or pump housings, am I way off base or what, ive done some searching and haven't found much. any info would be cool thanks

Bronze
    City
    Lititz
    State
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

Re: Horizontal Surface Grinder

Surface grinders are great at getting really fine finished, flat, and true surfaces. The applications that you have described would fit well, if the parts fit. With the correct tooling, rotary table / dividing head, you could also sharpen end mills and make some very precise lathe tools.

A surface grinder can be a very useful tool, with many different applications.

-Cody
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" -George Orwell

Well its like I always said... If it weren't for guns, we would still be British!

When in Doubt, ASK!!!

City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

You can make your own parallels, 1-2-3 blocks, vee blocks, and any number of your own really, really flat precise tools. And they can be hardened prior to the final grinding, which is an advantage.
    Late to bed, early to rise puts big dark circles under your eyes! Author - Me!

Plastic
    City
    Sterling
    State
    Alaska
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

that sounds like a tool I want lol he wants $750 for it.. it appears to be a good deal

City
    Boone
    State
    North Carolina
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

What brand is it? I got mine a while back because a friend had it for sale and really wanted me to get it. At the time I was hesitant since it is a huge machine and my shop is very small. But since getting I don't know how I lived without it. There are lots of things in my shop with a flat ground finish now. Most of them just because I could. I love my surface grinder. Post pictures if you get it. Surface grinding is one area that I could find very little help files/videos online about. Lucky the friend that sold it to me ran one for years as a tool and die guy so he has been my question and answer guy. I still don't know enough to be helpful to others just enough to get me in trouble.

Jeff
    One man’s “magic” is another man’s engineering. “Supernatural” is a null word. Lazarus Long

Cast Iron
    City
    Clarksville
    State
    Indiana
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

Quote Originally Posted by chevydyl View Post
    what are some common uses for these machines, opportunity for me to pick one up with a mag chuck, I think of truing up cylinder heads or engine cases or pump housings, am I way off base or what, ive done some searching and haven't found much. any info would be cool thanks
    I used them to resharpen Die sections and any part surface that needs to be ground flat and smooth. If you get one it a good idea to grind the surface of the mag chuck once awhile.

Plastic
    City
    Sterling
    State
    Alaska
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

The grinder Is a Harig 612 i don't recall the brand of chuck but every thing looks and appears to be in good shapeOMG I just checked eBay and prices range from about 1800-4500 so 750 seems like a smokin deal

City
    Crofton
    State
    Maryland
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

They are a tool which I didn't think would be used very often. I purchased one because an offer came along at the right price. Now, I don't think I could do without one. It's used on most of my personal projects anytime flat precision surfaces are needed. Mills make things somewhat flat -the surface grinder brings it home.

Ray
    ...and a rock feels no pain; and an island never cries.

www.cmf-llc.com

City
    St. Petersburg
    State
    Florida
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

The grinder Is a Harig 612 i don't recall the brand of chuck but every thing looks and appears to be in good shapeOMG I just checked eBay and prices range from about 1800-4500 so 750 seems like a smokin deal

Jump on it you won't regret it. Just remove the table to transport it.
    Craftsman 101 12x36, Grizzly G704, Emerson-Craftsman Radial armsaw & table saw.

Plastic
    City
    Sterling
    State
    Alaska
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

Cool thanks for the info lucky me if I get it it only has about 1mile to travel and my neighbor owns a forklift to get it outta the truck just not sure how to manuevure it once it's in the garage the FL don't fi though the door

City
    Crofton
    State
    Maryland
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

SG's tend to be particularly heavy and deceivingly top-heavy. Please be careful.

When I moved mine, the seller had a fork lift. The tailgate of the truck was removed, the unit lifted straight up and level to the bed and 4 guys tipped it over and laid it on it's back. We went this route because we had to travel 75 miles and we didn't feel it was safe to take the ride with it upright in the bed. Upon getting home, there was no forklift so, for 75 bucks, I called a towing wrecker and in 2 minutes, it was gently lifted out of the bed, onto the ground atop a piece of plywood and gently pushed into the garage. From there, I used pipes etc to roll it to it's current spot -where it shall remain for as long as gravity keeps it there (-a long time).

PS: I was non-descript about the things I use it for. Truth is, I use it on about 1/3 of my projects, many of which are documented here, too numerous to really enumerate... SG's are great. There's a real learning curve -moreso than you might think. Have a very, very healthy respect for that spinning wheel -it can hurt or kill you. Always clamp your work properly and never take off more than a thou or so at a time when using the proper wheel. They're really intended to take of 1-2 ten-thous at a time -a baby's breath.

Ray

Cool thanks for the info lucky me if I get it it only has about 1mile to travel and my neighbor owns a forklift to get it outta the truck just not sure how to manuevure it once it's in the garage the FL don't fi though the door
    ...and a rock feels no pain; and an island never cries.

www.cmf-llc.com

Tungsten Carbide
    City
    Murfreesboro 30mi. south of Nashville
    State
    Tennessee
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    OzzModz Classifieds

If I were you I would part it out, Just so happens I have a Harig 612 that needs a few parts including that mag chuck.

Plastic
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats

I had to go over 450 miles to get my Harig Super612. You don't really need to take the tables off, just lower the motor & spindle housing (not the grinding stone if its still on the grinder) on a block of wood to the table or chuck and lock the table. You should be good to go. Make sure you tie it down or separate as the top main casting is just sitting on the cabinet base, at least mine was. Check the oil pump in the rear sump to make sure it is there and works. I had to replace mine and put in a Little Giant pump, which is considerably cheaper than the original replacement (well over $400). My pump was wired 220V single phase. You can order Little Giant pumps on line for about $100 or less. I installed a Teco VFD drive to the three phase motor and it works exceptionally well!! If you do the same be sure to disable the reverse so you don't spin the grinding wheels off by accident. Also get ahold of Jim at Jdsserv@aol.com. He will be a great help with you on any questions on the grinder. He also has replacement parts if you need them.
    Good luck and enjoy the grinder.

Skipd1