Chats
    Total Downloaded
    5.59 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Mobile Army Machine Shop- then and today

The US Army mobile machine shop, 1943:

[attach=1]

and today, an 8' x 8' x 20' custom portable CNC machine shop was built for the U.S. Army to house a sophisticated, computer controlled manufacturing facility meeting stringent size, weight, and operational constraints; self-contained, air (C-130), ground (PLS/trailer) or rail transportable, easy to deploy and re-deploy, controlled user friendly work environment.

[attach=2]

Special Features of portable CNC machine shop Include:

7-ton Mazak Lathe
    Two-Way Satellite
    Communications
    Advanced Computer
    Workstation
    High Pressure Air System
    Leveling Jacks and a
    Self-Articulating, Fold-Out
    Sidewall Work Area
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 11-19-11 at 08:53 PM.
    My toys: South Bend Heavy 10L Lathe (1978), Burke #4 Milling Machine (1946), Van Norman #12 Milling Machine (1942), South Bend 14" Drill Press.

2. Likes Ulma Doctor liked this post
    City
    Greenwood
    State
    NW La
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Mobile Army Machine Shop- then and today

That sure looks like a fine set-up -- have to wonder what "we" paid for it. And the sad part is, in 3-4-5 years (if that long), it'll be shuttled off in some corner of a base and left with a door or window open, uncovered, and sit there to be auctioned off in 15-20 years after the electrics are ruined and totally out of date, and everything else rusty and dusty.

4. Likes thebigron liked this post
    City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Impractical. Does the government actually own any of these, or is that from a prototype or sales pitch?
    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist."

-Louis Nizer

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer link=topic=2576.msg17505#msg17505 date=1309091176
    That sure looks like a fine set-up -- have to wonder what "we" paid for it. And the sad part is, in 3-4-5 years (if that long), it'll be shuttled off in some corner of a base and left with a door or window open, uncovered, and sit there to be auctioned off in 15-20 years after the electrics are ruined and totally out of date, and everything else rusty and dusty.
    Pacer, I think you have it right -- but not just for the military. I just bought a Mitutoyo CMM (coordinate measuring machine) off the surplus list from SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center -- a research facility funded by your tax dollars and mine :-) The good news is that it only cost me $80. The bad news is that it sat unprotected from the weather on a loading dock for many years. My first step was to use about a gallon of EvapoRust to remove the rust from the (formerly) very precise THK linear ways and bearings. The balls were unrecoverable (but easily replaced). The electronics are missing. It was only used for a couple months -- until they determined that they couldn't use it successfully for beam alignment.

I'm still optimistic that I'll be able to recover it to a level useful for an ... (i.e., some semblance of its former accuracy).

Mike
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 11-19-11 at 08:56 PM.

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Just for grins, here's a picture of a corner of the machine shop onboard the USS Midway, a late/post WWII aircraft carrier, now docked as a historical display for the GAP (Great American Public) in San Diego harbor. Looks like the Navy got to carry heavier iron :-)

Mike

[attachimg=1]
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 11-19-11 at 08:57 PM.

8. Likes Ulma Doctor liked this post
    City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Heidenhein makes good scales that you could most likely repair your CMM with. I've worked on Boice and Hansford CMM's a bit. Mostly pretty straightforward.
    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist."

-Louis Nizer

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wells link=topic=2576.msg17717#msg17717 date=1309277661
    Heidenhein makes good scales that you could most likely repair your CMM with. I've worked on Boice and Hansford CMM's a bit. Mostly pretty straightforward.
    Tony,

Thanks. I'm hoping to recover the existing scales. The linear scales, the read heads and the preamps are there and appear OK. I just need to reverse engineer the preamps and go from there. (Anybody have any inside info on Mitutoyo CMM electronics? :-) My main issue is with rusting of the linear tracks. Plan is to dissolve the rust (done) and hone the tracks with diamond paste.

Mike
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 11-19-11 at 08:58 PM.

City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I have a copy of some older, but still useful, IMO, software for CMM use. I'd have to think about the interface a bit, but as I recall, it's not too complicated. This software is PC based. It comes from Caliper Designs.

-Louis Nizer

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wells link=topic=2576.msg17720#msg17720 date=1309279892
    I have a copy of some older, but still useful, IMO, software for CMM use. I'd have to think about the interface a bit, but as I recall, it's not too complicated. This software is PC based. It comes from Caliper Designs.
    Tony,

Thanks. Any info on the electronics and hardware would be especially useful. (I plan to rewrite the software, since it'll probably run on an embedded system.) But the software would be useful, too, especially insofar as it helps me define the interface hardware and timing.

Mike
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 11-19-11 at 08:59 PM.

City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I'll dig it up, Mike.

-Louis Nizer

City
    Mesa
    State
    Arizona
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by mikew67 link=topic=2576.msg17687#msg17687 date=1309248999
    Just for grins, here's a picture of a corner of the machine shop onboard the USS Midway, a late/post WWII aircraft carrier, now docked as a historical display for the GAP (Great American Public) in San Diego harbor. Looks like the Navy got to carry heavier iron :-)

Mike

[attachimg=1]
    Neat ship! I took the family through it 2 years ago and we were all amazed.
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 11-19-11 at 08:59 PM.

City
    Bronson
    State
    Florida
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

The biggest issue with the mobile machine center is the armies policy that no feild fabbed parts will be installed. While I was in Iraq we had several issues of air leaks and could fabricate a perfectly usable replacement hose but were not allowed to since the replacement part did not have a NSSN and may or may not have been compliant with some obscure, esoteric standard. These were all MRAP vehicles built by International, nothing special other than the armor. It was very frustrating to hold a vehicle for one simple line and wait 7-8 weeks for it to arrive. Happened too many times to too many vehicles. Hated that aspect of that job.
    Bob
    If you don't have something positive to say, keep it to yourself it makes you look so much smarter.

Life Resolution--NEVER let my shop get cluttered again....EVER!!!!!

Bronze
    City
    Pine Bluff
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

The machine shop on board a Navy vessel was always a much nicer and more convenient work center than anything transportable by the Army. When the Navy moved to a new location, the machine shop didn't have to fold their tents. When the Army moved to a new location, everything had to be closed up, folded up and packed up. We had a machine shop truck in our company in Viet Nam that looked like the WWII machine shop in the picture. The sides opened up and the floor slid out on both sides. I think it opened up to about 15' wide, IIRC. Sometimes I think I would like to have one of those old machine shops on wheels, but I get over it and say "naw"

Pat

City
    Queens
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    5.59 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

That is a huge lathe aboard the Midway-

What type was it?

Nelson
    My toys: South Bend Heavy 10L Lathe (1978), Burke #4 Milling Machine (1946), Van Norman #12 Milling Machine (1942), South Bend 14" Drill Press.

City
    Queens
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    5.59 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

That's a beautiful machine.

Way too big for my tiny home shop, but still, nice.

Nelson

City
    Queens
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    5.59 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Some more Army mobile machine and welding shops!

Ordnance Maintenance Truck, 2 1/2 Ton

There were several types of trucks beyond those pictured below, including the automotive repair truck, for general vehicle maintenance; the electrical repair truck, for various types of automotive electrical equipment; the instrument bench truck, to maintain and repair special fire-control equipment; and the tire repair truck.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

Of the vehicles shown, only the machine shop welding trucks had their own electrical generator; the others got their electricity from other generators in the maintenance unit.

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

Welding Truck M12
    The M12 has a hardtop cab. The generator is the same as the machine shop variant and powered the arc welder. The images come from TM 9-2852 on Welding Theory and Application, 3rd June 1943. According to Steve Malikoff, it's a great TM and still very relevant on technique and equipment, including a detailed chapter on how to repair shell holes and cracks in armor plate using a variety of methods. This lightproof welding screen and snap-on window curtains were provided to shield the work being welded and prevent detection when welding at night.

[attach=5]

[attach=6]

Machine Shop Truck M16A1, M16A2
    These trucks were used for general machine shop work. While M16A1 was basically a heavy lathe truck, M16A2 had a 10 inch bench lathe, a 7 inch bench shaper, an electric bench grinder, a 10-ton hydraulic press, and a special 1/2 inch drill press that was "very much like a radial drill." It had a full complement of hand tools, gauges, calipers, extractors, etc.
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 11-19-11 at 09:10 PM.

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Thanks, Allthumbz, for the neat pictures and history!

Wonder how uniform the lathe cuts were in the presence of "incoming"?

Mike (who's workshop is about the same size and even more crowded, but not mobile, even though it's in a garage

PS: BTW, I should forward this thread to a friend who is now president of the MVTF (Military Vehicle Technology Foundation; check it out at http://www.mvtf.org/ And if you're ever in the SF Bay Area, you simply have to do a tour.)

City
    Queens
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    5.59 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Here is another modern mobile Army machine shop for sale on Ebay:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2781522069.html
    Army SGPMSMD Machine Shop Equipment Trailer - $9800 (SLE)

Date: 2012-01-03, 12:27PM PST
    Reply to: sale-jrntb-2781522069@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Here's your chance to own a mobile turn-key machine shop and a peice of history.

Description provided by previous owner...

"This SGPMSMD Shop Equipment Trailer was manufactured by the Southwest Truck Body Company for the U.S. Army. It features a 60 kilowatt White-Diesel generator set with a Hobart DC Welder, a 60,000 BTU furnace, 27-inch lathe, drill press, air compressor and more, plus tent accessories to enclose the trailer when the clamshell doors are open."

Please note that this unique trailer weighs 31,000 pounds. No trades please.

keywords: mill, lathe, grinder, cutter, dro, vise, press, cnc, phase, machining, surplus, military, militaria, WWI, WWII, rare

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

City
    Elkhorn
    State
    Nebraska
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    1.86 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Dang, I really, really would like to have that parked in my driveway.

-Ron
    South Bend 11" Lathe
    Wells-Index 860 Mill
    Queen City Shaper

23. Likes Ulma Doctor liked this post
    Aluminum
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

11 mpg highway
    8 mpg city
    gas ain't cheap !!

City
    Boone
    State
    North Carolina
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

The thing I get a kick out of in this picture is the cabinets on the left.

Mobile_Machine_Shop_US_Army_1943.jpg

Here is the same cabinet in my shop.

100_6955.JPG

It was painted blue when I got it and I added the wheels and a new top. I had never seen one in original use. Very cool to see.

Jeff

26. Likes thebigron liked this post
    City
    Victoria
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    72.35 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

and today, an 8' x 8' x 20' custom portable CNC machine shop was built for the U.S. Army to house a sophisticated, computer controlled manufacturing facility meeting stringent size, weight, and operational constraints; self-contained, air (C-130), ground (PLS/trailer) or rail transportable, easy to deploy and re-deploy, controlled user friendly work environment.

Special Features of portable CNC machine shop Include:

7-ton Mazak Lathe
    Two-Way Satellite

All thumbs,

This portable machine shop was built down here where I live by a company called Clegg Industries. I can throw rocks at their building from my house! They build speciality portable mobile equipment for the military, postal service, medical industry, but mainly for our Government.

Everytime they move that Mazak lathe, they have to call in to get the new GPS coordants valudated!
    Ken

A 1954 20" Lodge & Shipley Model X gap bed lathe, A 1957 13" Sheldon Sebastian lathe, A 1949 9" South Bend lathe, 645 Wells Index mill, Brown & Sharpe 612 Valuemaster surface grinder and other misc junk (my gold mines to me).

City
    Victoria
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    72.35 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by mikew67 View Post

Mike

[attachimg=1]
    I'm rebuilding a Lodge & Shipley lathe just like this one but with a longer bed and has a gap in the bed.

That's a 1950's model L & S lathe, it's not WWII vintage.
    Ken

A 1954 20" Lodge & Shipley Model X gap bed lathe, A 1957 13" Sheldon Sebastian lathe, A 1949 9" South Bend lathe, 645 Wells Index mill, Brown & Sharpe 612 Valuemaster surface grinder and other misc junk (my gold mines to me).

Aluminum
    City
    Yellow Jacket
    State
    Colorado
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

The men working in the moble shop in the first picture reminded me of the Phillipines then I saw the chains on the truck tires, of course it could have been the monsoon season but I never saw chains at Cubi Point, Luzon 1956-1957.

Ray
    Enco 13 x 40 lathe
    Clausing 100 MKIII 12x36 lathe
    Enco 105-1117 Mill/Drill
    Delta/Milwaukee Verticle 2 speed bandsaw
    Delta 1/2" Floor model drill press
    Montgomery Ward Bench grinder
    Hobart AC/DC Welder

City
    Jordan
    State
    Minnesota
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by churchjw View Post

100_6955.JPG

It was painted blue when I got it and I added the wheels and a new top. I had never seen one in original use. Very cool to see.

Jeff
    I've got that exact same cabinet!!! Mine was not blue, but was/is mostly olive drab, but primer red where the paint is scratched or wore off. I got it with my Logan 210 lathe mounted on top of it. It has an added top on it that extends to the right and supports the tailstock end of the lathe. Not the most sturdy setup, but I am working on making some changes there. When I got it, it was pretty shaky, I had to apply some short welds in a few strategic places to firm it up. The two large drawers at the very bottom open and close really hard, so I have to look into that also. I suppose I will have to snap a pic and post it here one of these days.
    Wermie
    Don't take life too seriously - no one gets out alive!

Making chips with old machines- Keller 5HD power hacksaw, Logan 210 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill.

Cast Iron
    City
    Rochester
    State
    Minnesota
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by churchjw View Post

100_6955.JPG

Jeff
    Jeff--I also have two cabinets just like them in my shop--very heavy duty--one is green and the other is light grey---I have a lot of heavy items in the drawers and they were hard to pull open and push shut until I pulled them out and put heavy grease on the bottom edges and the support guides.--Dave

Aluminum
    City
    SOULSBYVILLE near sonora
    State
    California
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

This is my machine shop truck with me in the doorway.
    jimsehr

33. Likes thebigron, churchjw liked this post
    City
    Perth
    State
    Australia
    Country
    Australia
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Hi Jimsehr,
    Your pic looks like it could tell a thousand words with it, would you be kind enough to tell us what you mostly did with your mobi-shop and maybe some memorable jobs as well. You would have to be a pretty self sufficient person to do this kind of work.
    Thank You
    dd

City
    Perth
    State
    Australia
    Country
    Australia
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

This is a most remarkable machine.
    If you look to the far left on the floor ... you will see the powering electric motor then follow this to the line shaft then drive belts built into the roof ! You can just see the shaper head above the mill table.
    Now this is machine built to go mobile.
    dd

City
    Diano San Pietro
    State
    Liguria
    Country
    Italy
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by ddmunroe View Post
    This is a most remarkable machine.
    If you look to the far left on the floor ... you will see the powering electric motor then follow this to the line shaft then drive belts built into the roof ! You can just see the shaper head above the mill table.
    Now this is machine built to go mobile.
    dd
    Nice!
    I think these mobile shops could be useful not just for warfare operations, but also in case of disasters (quakes, etc.) involving thousands of civilians.
    A similar solution, but in the data management, was proposed some years ago by Sun Microsystems with their cool "Project Blackbox":

Sun_modular_datacenter.jpg

(Image from Wikimedia Commons)
    ← here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast