UK
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Cutting fluid

It was suggested that turning mild steel on my new toy would be better with cutting fluid, so my question is, can I make this fluid up at home, bearing in mind that I live in the UK.

Alan

City
    Greenwood
    State
    NW La
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Cutting fluid

Alan,
    Consider that many, many of us ...'ers dont use cutting fluid - even my highly skilled machinist friend, who has flow cooling on one lathe and a mister on his mill, seldom uses them. As dalee says, there are several alternates to the mess of coolant. Get several of those little 'drip' plastic bottles and keep kerosene, WD40, cutting oil. and anything else along that line and keep them near the mill and lathe. Definitely get some set-up to keep a good cutting oil in a container with a small brush (acid brushes over here..) to dab on the part youre working on. As he said Aluminum has different needs ... and stainless ... and brass ... you prolly oughta do a bit of research as to whats what. Basically for steel, a good cutting oil applied with the brush covers all my needs at the lathe (sulphur based if you can get it)

Plastic
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I have always used a mixture of household grease, bacon, and kerosene. I found it in an early Machinists Handbook.

Chips
    City
    Dalton in Furness
    State
    UK
    Country
    UK
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Thanks very much for the information lads, it' much appreciated.

Like the idea of bacon fat, means Ill have to have a bacon sarny every morning now.

Alan

City
    Friendswood
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    7.98 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I find lard (Manteca, for our Spanish speaking friends) a great cutting agent. I mix lard and kerosene, run it thru a sieve and put it in a spray bottle. It can be dispensed with an acid brush and cup for those really stingy with a buck. It works great. A one or two pound plastic tub of lard will last years, even here in the Texas heat. After a couple of months it won't look so white and pretty, But I have yet to have it start smelling, except for the smell of kero when I mix it

It is inexpensive, available at most groceries and works great. Why waste your money on the expensive synthetic stuff? "Try it, you'll like it". I use it on about any metal.
    Lard in the tub is a great tapping lubricant.

Randy

Cyclotronguy

Re: Cutting fluid....... porky goodness

Bacon grease EVIL..... it's heavy on salt, nasty source of corrosion. Go to the grocery and find the tub of unsalted lard...... great for steel, and any of the stringy alloys: especially for threading.

Only down side is that bacon grease smells wonderful when machining.

Best
    Cyclotrongy

City
    Caltabellotta
    State
    Sicily
    Country
    UK
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Lard is also very usefull as a lapping paste for very fine fits, down to a few Microns.

As to cutting fluid I use Virgin olive oil Works great on steel .The fact that I have 60 olive trees has no bearing on this choice MMM!

Regards Brian.
    If all else fails, read the instructions.

http://briansworkshop.weebly.com

City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

You guys are making me hungry! Stop it!
    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist."

-Louis Nizer

Plastic
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Olive oil Oh boy the bacon grease makes it hard enough to keep working, a little olive oil and I'd be inside snaking between cuts.I generally cut dry and let the material tell me when I need to apply a cutting oil, I've never had a problem with rust or the salt from the grease but I had never thought about it either. I also cut a lot of aluminum and the WD-40 helps with that.

Plastic
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I prefer using the old ways rather than trusting some chemist who works for a money driven individual, too many times in my 55 years of being here I have found out their concoction is way more harmful than good. Everything the chemical company invents is a half azzed attempt at replicating mother nature or an out and out failure while trying to invent something else. The chemical companies are holding every aspect of our lives food, drugs and everything material we use in their greedy pockets. Not a day goes by where something that they claimed to be the best is pulled from the shelves because its found to be harmful, with China added to the mix, whats really more harmfull bacon grease or their mix of the day

City
    Braga
    State
    Outside US / Canada
    Country
    Portugal
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Hi,

I can't tell you how much I've learned in this thread; I've learned to the point of being utterly confused. :

If you are a hobby machinist, if you are concerned with the final result but you don't care whether it takes you 2 minutes or half an hour to get them, if you are restricted to brushing your cooling fluid on the workpiece, what is the advice?

I would like to have just 2 fluids, one for steel and the other one for aluminium. I know there are many different steel and aluminium alloys but I don't usually know which one I am using since my stock comes quite often from scrapped parts. So, please, could someone summarize the basics of cutting fluid for ...?

Thanks,
    José

City
    Queens
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I've used olive oil on clocks when I was desperate and it works.

I also used it to coat bare metal with it too- it doesn't last too long, but it does prevent rust, like any other oil. I say any port in a storm.

Best,

Nelson

My toys: South Bend Heavy 10L Lathe (1978), Burke #4 Milling Machine (1946), Van Norman #12 Milling Machine (1942), South Bend 14" Drill Press.

Plastic
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I too get most of my material from scrap yards so I let the material let me know what I need by way of cutter and feed rates. If after a minor adjustment and an attempt at using cutting fluid I am still having trouble, I will sometimes remove the stock and mark it as hard and unknown to save for another day or job. My Monarch has no chip tray so I try to avoid a wet stinking mess and just brush on enough to do the job and no more. I apologize if my post caused anyone any confusion, good luck with your projects.

Plastic
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I guess if we were looking for something to permanently bond and remain sticky we could always try melting one of those peeps they sell at Easter time, it would also be a nice pink color so we'd know if we had used it or not.

Plastic
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I just pour my cooking grease and oil into a can, also bacon grease. I make sure their are no big bits of meat or other food scraps and mix with kerosene. May be bad for me I don't know, I know it works and I always have a new supply as needed. I did a quick search on Google and came up with this site here, to make your own. I guess its not for everyone but been working for me for 20 years at home.
    http://www.grandpappy.info/wclarify.htm

Cast Iron
    City
    Brookshire
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by USMCPOP link=topic=2678.msg18433#msg18433 date=1310169716
    McMaster-Carr has lard oil. Any other good sources?
    My Ex-Wife has a unexhaustible supply of Lard adhered to her hips!

Seriously though, I have a machining handbook book somewhere that talks about using transmission fluid and kerosene in a 50/50 mix. However I think it was the transmission fluid that used to be made from whale blubber and that has long since been gone!
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 11-20-11 at 09:33 PM.
    Ray

City
    Braga
    State
    Outside US / Canada
    Country
    Portugal
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil74 link=topic=2678.msg18439#msg18439 date=1310176104
    I just pour my cooking grease and oil into a can, also bacon grease. I make sure their are no big bits of meat or other food scraps and mix with kerosene. May be bad for me I don't know, I know it works and I always have a new supply as needed. I did a quick search on Google and came up with this site here, to make your own. I guess its not for everyone but been working for me for 20 years at home.
    http://www.grandpappy.info/wclarify.htm
    Best advice so far! That's what I'm going to try. 8)

José
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 11-20-11 at 09:34 PM.

Brass
    City
    DRIFFIELD
    State
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Country
    UK
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I used some stuff when I was an electrical engineering apprentice in the sixties. It was a brown grease we applied to the ends of steel conduit before hand threading with die stocks, It gave of a strong gingery smell and the threads were perfect every time. Anyone any ideas what it could have been? I think it would be excellent for threading steel on the lathe.
    Phil
    "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Too smokey for me. And there is a fire risk with any flammable liquid in the pan of a sump system.

As far as refrigerating the coolant, the only benefit I am aware of would be to maintain the initial sump temperature. The curve from, say, 40 to ambient is shallow compared to the curve from ambient to tool temp, which can be quite high. Once you reach a critical temperature on the sump, you do lose some cooling effect on the work. Boiling water temperature will make your parts grow, and is undesirable. This is generally only a problem in small sumps or long, sustained operations.
    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist."

-Louis Nizer