Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

My new Turn-Pro 14x40 Lathe

Figured I would post a little update on this lathe since I got and contribute a little to this awesome forum.

Bought from Enco just a couple of weeks ago. Lathe shows to be made 2011 - 7 (guessing July). Not bad, huh?

I bought the stand which turns out was a huge waste of money. I've emailed them to see if I can return it but still waiting to hear back from them. Its made out of just thick sheet metal, spot welded. The top is super thin to support the weight of the lathe. The biggest problem is with the fit to the chip tray. The tray sits on its edges when on top of the stands. The center portion where the lathe actuallly gets bolted through is about 1/2" above the top of the stands. If i were to put the lathe on it as it came, it would surely crush that sheet metal tray to the top of the stand. I placed three washers between the tray and the stands to fill the void which allowed me to bolt it "securely". The top of the stands are so thin that the lathe bounces when turned on and off. I'm really disappointed in the stand. You guys with the same lathe or the Vectrax model, what did you do for a stand? Any ideas or pics would be great.

Here's a pic of the lathe as it sits now:

Also, to help some of you with the same lathe, I scanned the manaul/parts list into a PDF. Its big and not very good quality but it works. I'll try to get it a better more efficient copy at work some time. We have much better equipment and software for that.
    A little over 27MB. I've got it hosted on my site for now but I may move it later if the traffic gets out of hand.

HTTP://angeloarmory.com/Files/TurnPr...the_Manual.pdf

Thanks guys!

Mike

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: My new Turn-Pro 14x40 Lathe

Sorry about that. Here's the correct link:

www.angeloarmory.com/Files/TurnPro_14x40_Lathe_Manual.pdf

You leave one little colon out and . . .

Awesome looking table. Looks like you ran into the same problem with the chip tray. I see you have a metal spacer under where the lathe would be bolted down. How well does the wood table handle the lathe being turned on and off? The current stand its on allows the lathe to move when turning on. I'm guessing because the tops of the stands are so bouncy. How much did the stand run you to build if you don't mind?

I think for the money I spent on the stands I could have bought a cheap Harbor Freight welder and some steel and made a much nicer table and have a welder out of the deal. I need to make a table/stand for my mill as well so the welder will come in handy. I'd like to build it with wheels that could be raised with leveling pads. I've seen the design around here somewhere.

Have you had any problems with your head stock leaking? Mine seems to have slow leak somewhere. Possibly behind the front panel where the handles go into the box. Just checking. Its not a big deal yet but have heard a lot of horror stories about Chinese lathes leaking. Figured that going with a Taiwan built lathe would be better.

Oh well, your stand looks great. Might go that route too very soon. Thanks!

Mike

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I haven't peeked inside the headstock but will soon. I'm not sure where the leak is but its minor since the fluid level hasn't seemed to change.

I'm probably going to go with a metal stand although I'm very interested in your wooden design. I've read that some bench top mill users say they get a smoother cut with a wooden base or table. It supposedly absorbs the vibrations vs amplifying them.

Where you able to download the PDF now?

Mike
    Last edited by EdK; 10-16-11 at 10:35 AM.

Davo J

The stands I got with my lathe had 2 strips of thick flat bar on welded on top of each cupboard that had been machined for the lathe to sit on, and had the holes drilled through them . If they don't take them back this could be an option.

Dave

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I would love that!

I left the manual with one of our scanners here but haven't made it back to that office yet to see how they did. Once I get a better version I'll update it and repost the link.

Thanks Ed!

Mike

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Forgot to mention that the leak stopped on its own. Guess the headstock was just over full or something.

Also fixed the super annoying problem of the compound slide getting stuck when rotating it. Got several pics of that I'll post later. While I had it all apart I noticed that the backlash adjusting screw for the cross slide was missing. I'll have to dig up one or maybe make that my first attempt at creating a custom plastic acetal nut on there.

Enco is still discussing internally what to do about the stand.

Mike
    Last edited by EdK; 10-16-11 at 10:36 AM.

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Update on the stand, Enco said they would take it back but I have to pay shipping. Fair enough. We'll see how that goes.

Here's some pics of the compound problem. When I would rotate the compound, it would get stuck every time! Took it apart and found the reason.

That top right hole is where the t-nuts get placed into the slide. When the compound is loosened and rotated, the T-nuts would rotate a little in this enlarged area and get wedged.

Solution, round off a few corners of the T-nut so even if it rotates a little, it still slides through that area untouched. Worked great! Also cleaned everything up so its smooth as glass now.

Mike

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

That's exactly what I noticed and fixed late last night! I think I may need to mill it a little more though.

What else have you come across?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by EdK link=topic=3805.msg28590#msg28590 date=1317898479
    I'll have to do that also since I have the same problem.

I had a problem of the compound hitting the wiper bracket on the front of the cross slide assembly when rotated so I milled the bracket down so it is below the top of the cross slide.

Ed
    Last edited by Starlight Tools; 11-17-11 at 11:31 AM.

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

These are some pics of the compound taken apart and cleaned. Not much here. It was binding a little while rotating the handle but just loosening and then re-tightening the set screw for the lead screw fixed it.

I tried and tried to take a good picture of the bearings for the screw but this is the best I could get them to show up. The bearing said DK and then the rest was hard to make out. I'm going to try to read them again. It would be cool if things were as easy in real life as in C.S.I. I could just right click and say "enhance"!

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

So far the the cross slide works great. Very smooth after a little cleaning and fresh oil. The compound seems to get a little tight when its backed out nearly to the stop. I doubt it will ever get used that far out but its not unusable.

I did notice the compound didn't have an oiler since there are so many everywhere else. I think I'm going to get started on making some acetal leadscrew nuts for my mill and then make some for the lathe. Some say they were able to get near ZERO backlash. I've got about 5-7 thousandth's on my mills x and y. The lathe has 10 on the cross. Didn't measure the compound yet but it feels about the same. No idea on the carriage.

I know what you mean about the home projects. Those are the ones that suck. I still need to tile our laundry room and rebuild our stairs. I'd much rather spend the weekend making plastic nuts and stand for my lathe.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
    Last edited by EdK; 10-16-11 at 10:37 AM.

Davo J

If your lathe is like my 12 x 36 and most others, it should have a split nut on the cross slide that can be adjusted by a couple of grub screws from the back. The screws jack the nut apart to take out the back lash to a curtain degree.
    I also found my cross slide nut to be sitting high, so I shimmed it down about 1.2mm from memory.
    You will need full compound travel if your machining a MT3. I got mine to give me 82mm travel all up when the advertised was 70mm.
    Mine only come with one oiler for the compound lead screw, but a lot of others like the PM lathes come with 3, one for the screw and one for each way. If your going to add one I would add the 3, which is something I need to get around to.

Dave

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

update

Thanks to all that have helped. I did take apart and clean the tail stock. As was mentioned by Ed, very little lube in there. Oiled the crap out of it and now its smooth as butter. Did notice that the casting is off on the inside so the shaft isn't supported all the way back to the rear of the tail stock but it seems o.k. for now. If it causes a problem i'll get after Enco to replace it.

I also cleaned the 4-way chuck. That thing was a mess. I couldn't figure out how you get the screws out though? There are large pins that seem to be pressed in from the rear of the chuck that hold the screws in place. Didn't want to start pounding on it yet so I just cleaned it the best I could with a power washer. Oiled, and then re-assembled. Again, big difference in the smoothness. Worked great for centering the spider adapter.

So far so good. I finished turning the adapter to make a rear spider. Just need to drill and tap it for the screws. Beautiful finish on the aluminum with carbide bits, there may be the hint of a vibration in there and I think I know what it is. Possibly the belt. I changed the belt on my Harbor Freight mill to a linked belt and was absolutely amazed at the difference. I'll be replacing this belt too soon.

I think I'm going to keep the base/stand for now. Don't really want to mess with freight and RMA stuff while the lathe sits on the ground. I'll just reused those cabinets as a desk or something if I decide to replace them.

Thanks guys!

Mike

Davo J
    If you ever need to get the jaws out of your 4 jaw, I posted about how to do it in the link below
    http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showt...3898#post23898

Dave

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: update

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Thanks to all that have helped. I did take apart and clean the tail stock. As was mentioned by Ed, very little lube in there. Oiled the crap out of it and now its smooth as butter. Did notice that the casting is off on the inside so the shaft isn't supported all the way back to the rear of the tail stock but it seems o.k. for now. If it causes a problem i'll get after Enco to replace it.

I also cleaned the 4-way chuck. That thing was a mess. I couldn't figure out how you get the screws out though? There are large pins that seem to be pressed in from the rear of the chuck that hold the screws in place. Didn't want to start pounding on it yet so I just cleaned it the best I could with a power washer. Oiled, and then re-assembled. Again, big difference in the smoothness. Worked great for centering the spider adapter.

So far so good. I finished turning the adapter to make a rear spider. Just need to drill and tap it for the screws. Beautiful finish on the aluminum with carbide bits, there may be the hint of a vibration in there and I think I know what it is. Possibly the belt. I changed the belt on my Harbor Freight mill to a linked belt and was absolutely amazed at the difference. I'll be replacing this belt too soon.

I think I'm going to keep the base/stand for now. Don't really want to mess with freight and RMA stuff while the lathe sits on the ground. I'll just reused those cabinets as a desk or something if I decide to replace them.

Thanks guys!

Mike
    I have a 2007 "Birmingham" 14 X 40 gear head lathe. The lathe is of Taiwan manufacture and appears to be identical to the "Turn-Pro" brand sold by MSC and Enco. I bought mine from Southern Machinery in Miami because it was offered at a decent discount and freight was included. The machine was sold to me as a demonstrator but I doubt if it had over ten hours of operation. The stand was included and I agree that it was way too light and inadequate. I added an "armature" of angle iron to the front plinth. I used 1-1/2 angle (and maybe some 1-1/2 X 2 - whatever was in the scrap heap) at the four corners inside with some lighter angle for cross members this gave me a way to put two plywood shelves in the front plinth. I also added 1/4 plates under the front (two sandwiched under the front) and rear columns at the mounting of the lathe under the top tray. I welded the angles to the factory sheet from the inside and then welded in the cross pieces. I would attach a photo but you really can't see much it looks just like the original sheet. OK, yeah, it burned the paint wherever I welded, so I got my local paint guys to match the color and I sprayed the finished unit with PPG's "Shop Line" acrylic enamel - perfect color match. I also framed the border of the tray with 1/4 X 1-1/4 flat bar (I didn't know such a size is rolled, but it is) and bolted it with button head cap screws and welded up the bar at the corners. I can photograph that, but it does not look bad - looks like rivet heads. Again, I had to paint the tray. I then added some 1 X 1 angle to the connecting sheet between the plinths and had a sheet metal shop bend up a tray of 16 gauge steel sheet to give that piece some section. The stand is now very ridged and I doubt if I spent more than if I would have fabricated a new one. I am going to stay tuned 'cause I want to exchange some information about the machine. Good luck to all!

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: update

Quote Originally Posted by EdK View Post

Can you please post a picture of your lathe? I've never seen a Birmingham lathe that was the same as the Turn-Pro so I'm curious.

Thanks,
    Ed
    I will be happy to post a couple of photos. It may take me some time and I will apologize in advance. The "Birmingham" line of lathes are imported by CP Tools, El Monte, CA. http://www.cptools.com MSC actually owns ENCO (since sometime in the 1990's) and markets the Hertel and Vectrax lines. I have no idea if MSC is the direct importer. I think that CP Tools has shifted a lot of production to China. My lathe was produced in Taiwan but the chucks were from mainland China.

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickabilly View Post
    Hello All,
    I'm not being picky, but, I get a bit confused when I hear people worrying about tiny amounts of backlash in their slides, and anything less than ten thou is pretty small, most professional machinists use machines day in and out with twice as much and more, the Technical college where I studied as an apprentice had machines with 30 thou plus and you know what, it's OK, yeah sure less is better, but it won't be possible forever, as, when a machine wears it doesn't wear evenly, not by a long way, this means that to have zero lash in the worn areas the less worn areas will lock up.

Using a zero lash machine is nice, but it can lead you into bad habits like not checking your backlash when retracting and repositioning our tools you will eventually get caught, as with a little wear or in some cases the slippage of a locknut the backlash can change quite quickly and then the only question is will it cost you the material or will the error be repairable.

As for the lightweight lathe cabinets, yep, absolutely disgraceful engineering practice, I had a similar issue on a similar Taiwanese lathe the issue being the top mounting plate of the stand being too low and causing the chip tray to buckle, when I rang my supplier he pointed out that there was a wooden packer built into the wooden crate that the lathe came in and these ply wood squares were to be dropped into the top of the cabinet before fitting the tray and then Lathe, I followed the instruction, and thought it was a terrible idea but it worked.

Most of us seem to agree that the big downside of buying Import machine tools is all of the little tweaks required to get them to function properly, but we still buy them, why? well I suppose it's because we've no other option anymore, it's either a forty year old machine tool or an import and there simply isn't enough old iron to go round anyway,

I wonder, if someone was to offer a lathe stand with P thicker metal and a more thoughtful design how many of us would pay P more for it?

Best Regards
    Rick
    That's why I used the 1/4 inch plate under the chip tray. That stiffened the tops of the plinths and produced a proper spacing between the tray and the plinths. I think that some of the Grizzly 13 X 40 and 14 X 40 lathes have cast iron bases. Steve Bedair refers to this on some of his sites. Grizzly may sell these separately - Grizzly tech people are easy to talk to. The one disadvantage I can think of is that there don't seem to be any access panels to the columns and so if you want some storage space that may not work. Regards, Geoff

Davo J

Hi Rick,
    The Aussie AL 540 has always had a cast iron stand
    https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L186D

Which is similar to Steve Bedair's one, but he cut down the base as he found it too high
    http://bedair.org/Grizzly12x/GrizzlyG4003G2.html

I have stood beside a AL540 and think I would need to raise it up for me at 6 ft tall, so maybe Steve's bases are taller models.

Dave

City
    Nelson
    State
    British Columbia
    Country
    Canada
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.52 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

My lathe is a Gosan 14 x 40 lathe made by Shey Shung, in Taiwan. This is the factory that makes the Colchester lathes and the Sharpe Lathes.

The stand is definetly cast iron!

This pic is from when I was moving it into position in the shop when I forst got it. Cleaned all the road dust, well more like road gravel, the trucker had tarped it, but his tarp was really dirty. Plugged it and and have been using it ever since. So far it has been a fantastic mashine, with really good fit and finish. All slides are really accurate and the DRO works really well. Only thing I have against the DRO, is that you are looking up at the DRO screen, not down at the work, so that tends to be counter intuitive.

Walter
    Attached Images Attached Images

City
    Queens
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Mike,

Looks great! I put this in the Home page as an article!

Nelson
    My toys: South Bend Heavy 10L Lathe (1978), Burke #4 Milling Machine (1946), Van Norman #12 Milling Machine (1942), South Bend 14" Drill Press.

Chips
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

One or two more cast iron base 14 x 40 lathes are the Griz G0554Z and the Jet GH-1440W . I have the Jet and it is solid and heavy , IIRC around 2000# . Had it for 5 yrs and no problems . Of the generic 14x40's , these two have a wide bed with of 10.25" and 10.5 " , which make for a stable platform . A pic of the Jet .

The more I learn , The more I don't know .

Davo J

I think the Colchester copy is a step up from Mike"s and Coal Miners lathe is another step up in size again.
    As Rick said you get used to the DRO, it's the same with the standard dials, you have to look down at them when setting a cut.
    Rick, I am not sure I believe the blind guy either, but there are some stubborn people out there, so it could be true. I wonder how Braille mic's and calipers work.
    Here we go, I just looked them up, learn something new every day
    http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/coll...se/?irn=241577
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAILLE-VE...-/110684572949

Getting back on track, Mike looking forward to more up dates on your new lathe. It looks like you are going about it the right way taking it apart and cleaning it up. Once you have done this and set it up on a stand, go over it doing the checks that are on the test sheet so you know what the lathe is really like. Then if your doing a job and need to compensate for something you will know where to.

Lathes are supposed to face slightly concave (around .0005 taper in 12 inches), but I found mine to face true, so it's just the luck of the draw so to speak. The easiest way to find out is when you clean up the face of your face plate, then put a strait edge across it. Once you clean up the face plate don't forget to mark it's relationship to the spindle so it can be put back on the same way. It's best to go through all your chucks as well as the face plate and mark them as well.

Below is a picture of the marks on my spindle and chuck, I just used the letter V out of my letter punch set. You can also see the center punch marks on the back plate and chuck for when they are disassembled. With the 3 jaw I ended up not needing these center punch marks because I turned down the register on the back plate a couple of thou, so I could center it like a set true chuck. This has worked good and my Chinese chuck stays pretty accurate at all diameters once set up at on diameter.

Dave

City
    Niagara Region South
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    7.76 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Very nice lathes. I am getting jealous as my new to me lathe is still sitting in the barn as I wait for the shop to raise out of the ground.

On the topic of blind people, my mom taught the blind for a number of years and she was always amazed at what they can do. Also in the NASCAR side, there was a guy how was setting up the rear ends in, at the WinstonCup series. He was working for one of the larger teams and he was completely blind. Setting up everything by feel if the reports were accurate.
    Never enough toys is bad but too much government is worst!

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: My new Turn-Pro 14x40 Lathe WITH APOLOGIES

I obviously do not know what I am doing. These are on my i-photo and I thought they had been re-sized to 640 X480. Will someone direct me as to how to post photos/attachments. Sorry, GCM

DSCF0855.jpeg DSCF0859.jpg DSCF0860.jpg DSCF0861.jpeg DSCF0862.jpegThe first picture is self explaining; notice the lack of an oil reservoir in the apron and the "old fashioned" quick change box-19th Century oiling practices. The second and third pictures are an attempt to show how I added the angle iron "armature" to the front plinth with the advantage of a bottom and middle shelf for storage. The third picture shows the button head cap screws that I added to the chip tray in conjunction with 1/4 X 1-1/4 inch flat bar bordering the tray. The last photo shows the lifting rig I made for the lathe (Colchester has a built in lift that I copied), a turned, ground and polished test bar for aligning the centers and the bogus follower rest that came with the lathe. I complained about the follower rest to the importer, but without any relief. I plan on making a new, larger steady rest and modifying the follower rest. Please excuse the shop dirt, I had been turning some cast iron-nasty stuff which needs to be cleaned up quickly. I would also like to discuss plating off the bottom of the apron and adding an oil reservoir and maybe a manual pump - all suggestions and comments are welcome. Many thanks to EdK who corrected my sad attempt to post the photos. Cheers, Geoff
    Last edited by 110octane; 12-02-11 at 12:26 PM.

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

More comments about my "Birmingham" 14 X 40. I find the machine to be close to perfect for my purpose, which is hobby lathe/maintenance. I would suspect that in a job shop (assuming there are at least a few of these left) with multiple operators and heavy use, the machine would be sufficient but not robust enough to last a great length of time. The steady rest is limited to a little under 4 inch diameter which I don't think is large enough for a 14 inch lathe. From the photos of this genre' of lathes none of the steady rests seem to have much capacity. I plan in the future on building a larger bearing fitted steady rest. The other rest, the follower rest, has a major problem. The vertical guide is not over the center line of the machine. I complained to the distributor about this, but I did not get very far. In contrast, they were most helpful in supplying the carriage lock which was missing at receipt. I think I will splice (by pinning and brazing) in a patch to sort this out.
    Another strange missing feature is there is no apron oil - other machines of this general manufacture have apron reservoirs. I am open to suggestions about this. It would appear that I can use some cold finished flat bar and close off the bottom of the apron. Install a sight glass and a fill port and if things don't leak like a sieve...
    I really enjoy cutting threads on this lathe, it makes chasing threads fun as opposed to work. I have cut quite a few inch threads (the lead screw is 8TPI) with real good success. The one metric thread I have tried did not translate that well but there is another combination of gears option for the same pitch and if I have to cut that pitch I will change to the alternate set up.
    Enjoying the site, Geoff

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Right, Ed. It is nearly identical with the exception of the oil reservoir capability. The top of the carriage is held on with two socket head cap screws-that is a question as mine is. Some of the similar machines I have noticed have four socket head screws holding the carriage to the apron. Where is the fill port on your machine? I have seen them on the headstock side of the apron near the top and, alternately, on the top-right of the carriage lock nut. Again, I guess it's a matter of the production run. I have a 1970's vintage Arboga (Sweden-sold by Wilton??) drill press and I'm beginning to believe that Arboga never made two production runs alike.
    I am on the way to closing off the bottom of the apron on my lathe and installing a sight glass. McMaster sells sight glasses. I was also thinking of rigging a push pump like the top of the line machines, but that will require some design pondering and I am especially lazy right now.
    Many thanks for posting that photo - it really made me feel confident about the oil reservoir. Geoff

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Thanks again, Ed. A picture is worth a thousand words. I can't recall where I saw that configuration (with the filler on the left side) but it confirms that our aprons are nearly identical. I was sorta able to determine that there were two SHCS fitted to hold the apron to the carriage by sighting along the top surface; but it's still better to have your confirmation. You may want to check and see if the follower rest top lug is on center line of the machine, just in case.

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Hello Everyone Again! I have a minor (at least I hope it's minor) problem with my Birmingham CT-1440 lathe as pictured on this thread. It is nearly identical to EdK's Turn-Pro. I recently attempted to cut a keyway by using the carriage as a shaper to cut out the rectangular area. I had a nice, sharp HS steel tool and I did not "hog." About half way through the procedure the carriage handle slipped and the carriage seems now to click on the rack. I pulled the carriage, separated the apron and have examined all the gearing and the rack. I cannot find anything out of kilter. There is no more than 0.003" runout on the "travel" gear. I cannot determine if there is any bending in the travel gear shaft. I can find no bent or distorted gear teeth anywhere in the rack nor in the gear train from the apron travel handle. I checked the apron casting for cracks, etc. Surprisingly, I discovered that the cross feed travel nut was missing the adjusting screw (6mmX12) that has also been noted in another post in this thread about a different lathe.

It was dumb of me to utilize the lathe like this, although it is accepted practice in most all amateur handbooks. Especially since I have a 7 inch Atlas shaper sitting in the corner of the shop-I was simply too lazy to set it up. I talked to the Tech Guy at Grizzly (I have a Grizzly mill and so I have an excuse to call him) and he said he couldn't really offer any other ideas since the drive cog and gear train seemed sound. He did remind me to double check the rack at the gap, which I did. The clicking was somewhat uniform up and down the bed. I'm beginning to suspect that the thread clasp screw may have dropped half way onto the lead screw-again my ham fistedness would be the culprit. There is a lockout bar, but who knows.... I will assemble the machine and see if I have rectified the situation. In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions or experience, I would be most appreciative.

This is indicative of the reasons one hears complaints about Asian machines on the "professional" forums. If you press these machines to produce they can quit. Shops have machinists with varying degrees of skill and finesse with manual machines (of which there are very few left, mostly maintenance shops) and if things break down there is hell to pay. A machine that is over designed and constructed similarly can take a beating and survive. For my application, I am very pleased with the machine, but I do need to be sensitive to the limitations of the machine. Parts for these machines are largely interchangeable but there are production differences and it can be difficult to find the right parts service. All the parts manuals use different part numbers for parts that are mostly interchangeable.

The "Birmingham" has mostly metric fasteners and components. The lead screw is 8 tpi, but the gears are all metric "module" in nature. I am going to have to learn something of the modular system, since diametrical pitch is ingrained in my training. Thanks to all for suffering through this post. Geoff

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I cleaned and checked everything and never could find anything bent or out of order. After everything was assembled and things are working fine as to carriage travel. I have a slight problem with the carriage drive feed shaft. The parts book calls for 6mm balls in the slip clutch but I had to use 1/4 inch for the reason I lost one of the 6mm balls; the pressure spring let loose and it flew away. I adjusted the spring retaining set screws to reduce the pressure on the sprag but I think something is not as dimensionally forgiving as I thought. Some of the parts catalogs list 1/4 balls for the class of "similar" lathes. This tells me that it is all "mix and match" on the assembly lines in Taiwan and China. Looks like a call to McMaster-Carr.

If anyone has or knows were I can obtain a used top slide for a 14 X 40 clone, let me know. I have ordered parts for mill drills from Harbor Freight and I must admit they were helpful and inexpensive. It took a very long time to get the parts and I am of the opinion if they are incorrect there is not much you can do; what I mean is if you take a guess at interchangeability you are on your own, HF parts clerks do not have the same experience or intuition that Grizzly tech specialists have. The corollary to this is one time HF had sent something incorrect and they replaced it with no charge and told me to keep the incorrect part rather than pay the return shipping. I can't complain about that. On occasion Grizzly has offered to accept an old part to see if they could find a match, but you have to be responsible for all freight. This, too, is reasonable enough, but can get expensive for heavier components. ebay is becoming more lame every day.

Thanks for allowing me to waste your time, let's go break something else, Geoff

Brass
    City
    Pelham
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Here is a picture of old school 19th century turning. I was impressed with my Taiwanese machine; I was able to get the thing to turn within less than 0.0003 in about 14". When I flipped ends on this shaft the cut blended with the opposite cut with just a shadow. I was unable to detect any "edge" or "seam" with my finger (yes, I stopped the lathe and turned off the power first, I've met a rotating chuck once before in my life and I think a lathe dog would even be more memorable!). Turning Between Centers.jpg (49.2 KB)
    Attached Images Attached Images