Thread: Where could I have a pulley spline broached?

Kenwc

Where could I have a pulley spline broached?

I have restored an Atlas moel 73 drill press from the early 40's. The only thing I still need to do is have a new pulley made if that's even possible. I'm pretty sure I could find another pulley..perhaps a blank one...but it would need to be spline broached as you see in the pic. The spindle is likewise splined and slides up and down in the bore as you operate the quill. This one works but is "Wallered" out and vibrates and will only get worse. These are no longer available and I don't have a clue as to who might be able to broach one or even make a new pulley if needed. I've put a ton of work in this press and want to make it last another 70 years.

Your advice is appreciated.

City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Where could I have a pulley spline broached?

That's a good job for a shaper. Otherwise, a standard broach bushing has to be modified to index properly for the drive splines. I'd inspect carefully the splines on the shaft also. Might be that you could pick up a mating pair and modify to accept. For instance, bore out the old splines and press and weld in a new "core". Provided of course, you could work out the shaft fit-up.
    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist."

-Louis Nizer

Bronze
    City
    Lufkin
    State
    East Texas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    16.84 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Kenwic

I have a craftsman press that I am going to part out, I think it has a splinned pully. give me some measurements and I will check tomorrow. May work?????/ Got a picture of the press?

David

Kenwc

Thanks Tony...I did chat with a guy once that bored out his pulley and pressed in a new splined core as you describe but I can't find the conversation on the other forum.

I agree a shaper would be an option but I've also seen round spline broaches. I'd really like to find a place to have this done but If I can't I'm sure it would be fun to either bore and replace or try and get my hands on an appropriate spline broach. I suppose with good measurements and skill (the latter of whick I lack) it could be done in multiple steps with a keyway broach.

I have 3 Vintage Atlas Arbor presses that range fom baby sized to monstrous that could be used for this as well.

City
    Tyler
    State
    Texas
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

You could drag them on your lathe if you rigged up a way to index it. I'd be really concerned about the shaft though. It's bound to be worn substantially.
    "A man who works with his hands is a laborer. A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman. A man who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist."

-Louis Nizer

Kenwc

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Kenwic

I have a craftsman press that I am going to part out, I think it has a splinned pully. give me some measurements and I will check tomorrow. May work?????/ Got a picture of the press?

David
    David,

Several of the Crafstman and Atlas machines do have th same parts so it's possible. Thanks of looking for me. Here is an old pic from when I was dry fitting parts one day. I need to take some newer.

Kenwc

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wells View Post
    You could drag them on your lathe if you rigged up a way to index it. I'd be really concerned about the shaft though. It's bound to be worn substantially.
    The pulley is softer than the splined shaft so the splines on the shaft....while they could be better are usable. I also have a spare quill with spindle if needed. I also see the shafts sometimes on ebay but never the pulley.

Bronze
    City
    Lufkin
    State
    East Texas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    16.84 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

The one I have is a bench model. probably a 50's , 60's model. I was looking at it today trying to decide what I was going to do with it!

I can measure. What hp is motor?

David

Kenwc

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The one I have is a bench model. probably a 50's , 60's model. I was looking at it today trying to decide what I was going to do with it!

I can measure. What hp is motor?

David
    1/2 horse.

City
    St. Petersburg
    State
    Florida
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    11.06 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

If you have a shaft the same size with the same spline. You could make a broach out of it. By milling or grinding steps in it.

Another way bore the hole to size then notch with an endmil and file square.
    Craftsman 101 12x36, Grizzly G704, Emerson-Craftsman Radial armsaw & table saw.

Kenwc

Quote Originally Posted by kd4gij View Post
    If you have a shaft the same size with the same spline. You could make a broach out of it. By milling or grinding steps in it.

Another way bore the hole to size then notch with an endmil and file square.
    Making a broach form an identical spindle shaft sounds interesting and I'll add that to the list of possible solutions. Thank you.

Thats what makes these forums great...The great ideas from great members.

City
    Wyoming
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

My first drill press was one of those Atlas machines with the same problem. Being in the garage business in those days I found a starter drive with the same spline and stripped it down and somehow attached it to the aluminum pulley. I didn't have a lathe so may have taken the pulley somewhere to have it machined out.
    Nick

Kenwc

Thanks Nicky,

Every idea begats other ideas and yours helps as well.

Going over the problem in my mind this morning and after a quick jaunt out to the shop to place the pully where it goes I realize there are two issues.

If we look at my pic below we see the splines of the top of the spindle sticking up through that shaft....the lower part of the pulley bore fits that shaft and is held there with a set screw. The upper part of the pulley is splined and that's what drives everything. What I realized today is that the looseness is where the pulley mounts to that shaft.....and loose to the point that when you tighten the set screw it pulls the pulley to the side just enough to vibrate when running.

So having said all that, even though the splines are loose, I think the looseness of the pulley on that shaft is the bigger problem which might be easier to solve by boring and sleeving the lower bore unless I can find some "really" thin bushings.

Sorry to rattle on about this but I'd like to come up with a method that could be used to repair many other Atlas and Craftsman pulley's and not just mine as they all suffer the same issue. Plus....I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee....

Bronze
    City
    Lufkin
    State
    East Texas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    16.84 MB
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Kenwc,

Here are the parts that I have.

Pulley large is 5" dia
    Pulley small is 1.75" dia

spline shaft od is .482
    spline od is .625
    Pulley id is .626 (outside spline)
    Pulley id is .484

Not made by atlas. Some other company

Doesn't look the same

let me know

David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenwc

What you have there is the other type of drive setup where the upper "steel" sleeve is splined and does not depend on a soft alumimum splined pulley for drive. Its a much better design. It's on some Atlas models as well.

The pulleys themselves were not made by Atlas. I forget now the ame of the casting company.

I've considered in the past trying to adapt that setup to my press so if you're still going to part that machine out shoot me a PM and give me some info and I'll probably take some parts off your hands.

Thanks for the pics and info.

Ken