Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Re: Maynard civil war era carbine, hobby machinist built

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Alpha,
    Read a micrometer by smell??
    That folks is a sure sign of too many years spent in a machine shop.
    That Marlin is a sweet piece of work, and only took a half a year? It would take me that long to finish drooling over it.
    I won't even ask about drawings till I start on the Favorite (I have one to copy)

Regards,
    Maverick
    Maverick
    I appreciate your reply..I had an original Favorite to copy as well..That really is the best way to proceed if at all possible..I hope you make quick progress with it..... I dont recall exactly how long it took to build the Marlin but 6 months is about right, might have been closer to 4 months..I work fast.

Oh hey let me show you another gun picture..This is a gun that I bought 35 years ago as a non functional relic..Had it in a closet all this time and finally took it out and rebuilt it..Very rare model 65 Winchester in .218 BEE...Barrel had 14 extra holes drilled into it and there was a ring in the barrel where somebody may have tried to shoot it with a mud dauber nest plugging the bore..I welded over the holes and drilled out the barrel and turned down a gunbarrel as a liner and loctited it in there......Made new loading gate for it. Made the fore end wood , installed after market tube magazine and the steel nose cap.Refinished everything..Good shooter now- after only 35 years.

Incidently..I make all my own chambering reamers and want to mention that making the .218 BEE chambering reamer was most difficult one I ever made.It having both a rim and a shoulder on the same cartridge made for need of precision that was tough to attain with my setup..

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Heres that muzzleloader I showed the color case hardened receiver pictures a few posts back. It isnt a replica of any authentic rifle, its just a gun to play with...Its finished now except I find that I made the front sight .080 too tall so I need to mill it down and redrill to set the fiberoptic tube that much lower.Again I will mention that I made every piece other than did use a rifled barrel blank.This is my first muzzleloader that I have ever built.. .50 caliber ..I am shooting it at a target inside my shop- 6-7 shots and the black powder smoke sets off the smoke detector..Fun..Love metalsworking..............

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

In case somebody wonders whats inside this receiver.

Plastic
    City
    Palmyra
    State
    Virginia
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

I don't post often, but I thought I'd let you know that I've enjoyed reading your thread and beautiful work. Way beyond my capabilities.

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

If this is beyond your capabilities that probably just means you need another tool - thats a good thing ain'it? :-) ..It took me a lot of years to get my machines and develop some working tactics that suits me and the tools that I have..Seems awfully easy now so that I cant help but believe that anybody with the time and the tools and bit of practice can surely do whatever I can do if not better..Keep doing what you enjoy and work yourself up to where you want to be..Its all fun.Thanks for replying mjonkman

Quote Originally Posted by mjonkman View Post
    I don't post often, but I thought I'd let you know that I've enjoyed reading your thread and beautiful work. Way beyond my capabilities.

Plastic
    City
    alvin
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

very nice muzzel loader and a few others since i last checked in.

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjim View Post
    very nice muzzel loader and a few others since i last checked in.
    Thanks DirtyJim
    Thats all. I dont have anything else near finished. Be months and months till I have anything else to show..Working on a revolving percussion cap rifle today but I am gonna only do a bit more on it then set it aside and work on something else.Might start on building a Sharps or a Burnside.Havent decided.

I have now got the sights on that muzzleloader adjusted real well and off the rest at 50 foot all the shots are going into a squirrels head sized group..That is mighty good for me with iron sights when you consider how blurry my eyesight is..That rear peep with the fiber optic front sight works for me. Theres 6 shots in the one hole of this target..Did I already say this is my first muzzleloader that I have built..Not too shabby for a first one..I like it better than I thought I would.... .50 caliber, reckon thats too much for squirrels?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plastic
    City
    alvin
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

as long as you're doing headshots its not to much for squirrels.
    the right side frame also has a bit of a side lever look to it at first glance.
    i've been considering building this muzzel loader from track of the wolf for a while, i guess i just need to get off my butt and order it.
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...-RIGBY-16-PERC

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Dirtyjim Yes that one would be a heap of fun..I shy away from projects that require that I carve a one piece stock.There plenty of opportunity to mess it up considering I dont have one to copy and am not fully acqauinted with what they supposed to end up looking like..In fact I should have bought a set of parts like that one for my first muzzleloader build.Would have learned a lot and ended up with one that is right.

I guess I did build one rifle with a one piece stock.I had an old Marlin model 60 that was mighty ugly so that I figured I could build one that looked nicer.The old one had a blond colored birch stock and a painted aluminum receiver and trigger guard..I made new walnut stock, new steel receiver, new trigger guard.. from Gunbroker dot com. I bought a used barrel and tube magazine and the guts of the reciever..Didnt build the whole gun just made the new parts to replace those I didnt like on my old Marlin...a nice .22 now.Uhmm still have my old Marlin 60 too..

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Dirtyjim
    Another gun I'd like to have would be one of them long barreled kentucky rifles....I have a 42 inch long .40 caliber muzzleloader barrel here waiting for some such project.but...Long full stock like that is mighty intimidating for me..I hate working wood...I might save my beans and buy one ready to shoot............Would you hunt with that'n you showed us?

Plastic
    City
    alvin
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

back when i was a teen ager i had a 40 cal kentucky rifle. i gave it to my nephew probably 25 years ago and as far as i know he still has it.

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Dirtyjim
    You have any muzzleloaders right now?
    ....I see in Dixie catalog sells a bandsawed full length stock blank for 110.00 for their lowest grade wood and sell a whole kentucky rifle kit for as little as 265.00..Dont hardly make sense to fool with carving an entire stock when can get a well started kit of parts for less money than buying all the parts separately.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjim View Post
    back when i was a teen ager i had a 40 cal kentucky rifle. i gave it to my nephew probably 25 years ago and as far as i know he still has it.

Plastic
    City
    alvin
    State
    Texas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

i have a inline muzzel loader thats based on a commercial mauser action, being a mauser nut i had to have it as soon as i saw it.
    i've looked through dixie's catalog a few times and really like their 32 cal kentucky and Pennsylvania kits

Chips
    City
    mobile
    State
    Alabama
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Followed your work on another forum.
    When I saw your name I read the article and true to form your work remains, in my opinion, some the best around.

Inspiring.

I think there are artists in every medium you sir are truly one in gunsmithing.

Look forward to further posts

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

wildcatfan I appreciate the kind words. The classic old American guns are true works of art..I am happy to be a modern metalsworking hobbiest trying to make myself a copy of that art.. Makes me look good but I am not the artist, I'm the tradesman.

I am fortunate I can build the old American guns that are fun to me..It has been a good hobby .Shame there arent more guys out there building the Classic old guns..While entire forums are filled with fellows building assault rifles or Muzzleloaders there is only a few guys here and there building the old breechloader cartridge guns..

I have a second Maynard thats far enough along that I test fired it a couple shots yesterday, testing function..Works good. Its only just roughed in right now ..Nothing finish contoured yet..I sawed out a buttstock for it this afternoon..If I push I can have it completed in a few weeks to a couple months...This is certainly a slow paced hobby..

That first Maynard I showed was true to its civil war roots. It is a .50 caliber cartridge rifle fired by a percussion cap......This next one shoots modern .45 ACP cartridge ..

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Etard I like your signature line...I have a favorite line I used to say to my pretty woman... To my wife- "Stick with me Darling and someday you and I will have everything I want!"

As to amatuers working on firearms...Its good to feel some intimidation..A too cavalier approach can getcha hurt in a hurry..I had a gunsmith friend online who would answer questions as I learned enough to ask a reasonably intelligent question..And I started off building .22s ..Still I overbuild and I dont take chances.. I wear hearing protection and safety glasses whenever I am shooting or running noisy machinery.

My impression of the hobby is that the hardest part is keeping the interest going long enough to finish a long duration project..Many folks may be better off buying a Ruger 10-22 and buying/changing out nearly every part on it to make it something wild and special and all your own..That would go reasonably quick..You would gain some familiarity with the work and end up with a real good toy. That is the .22 rifle with the largest selection of aftermarket custom parts available..Good one to start with.

Chips
    City
    Anchorage
    State
    Alaska
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

That is a wonderful recreation of a 2nd Model Maynard. The only other person I have heard about built a 1st Model with the tape primer door and all the ratchets, springs, and etc. to actually advance the tape primer to the top of the cone (Maynard-ese for nipple).

Beautiful work !!!!

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by MaynardG View Post
    That is a wonderful recreation of a 2nd Model Maynard. The only other person I have heard about built a 1st Model with the tape primer door and all the ratchets, springs, and etc. to actually advance the tape primer to the top of the cone (Maynard-ese for nipple).

Beautiful work !!!!

MaynardG (Krebs? :-)
    I am blessed to be able to build projects that are more than good enough to satisfy my own standards.

Is Maynard primer tape manufactured by anybody or does a guy have to make his own? Would not be hard to make the Maynard tape primer mechanism. Kinda clever how they work.

I have too many projects going and too many distractions plus my poor eyesight is a growing nuisance..But its a lot of fun..Decided last week I wanted a rifle in .25-35 caliber so I ordered a good barrel blank, brass, bullets and loading tools. Pulled barrel off a scratchbuilt Highwall I have 90% finished and will now turn it into a .25-35 instead of .17 HMR that I originally intended..Once a guy has all the tools his only difficult problem is deciding what he wants to build..There is a boatload of old guns I would like to replicate - and play with- but there is just not enough time to build more than a very few of them.

Chips
    City
    Anchorage
    State
    Alaska
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

One of the things that fascinate me the most with your build is: How did you go about determining the relationship between the pivot pin on the front of the breech piece, the mortise in the breech piece, the "C" hook on the forward barrel lug and the rear barrel lug ? Not to mention the lever and links !

The 1st Model Maynard had a set of screws and an adjusting piece to adjust the head space or as they called it "barrel gap," before they simplified the breech piece and did away with all those extra components after the fire in 1861.

As far as I know no one manufactures the tape primer (other than roll caps for cap pistols and I doubt they would work). Those original compositions were not only extremely toxic and corrosive but quite dangerous as well.

During tape primer manufacture at the Arsenal in Bridesburg, PA they had an entire sheet in one of the presses explode. They said the report sounded like a 6-pounder going off. At Massachusetts Arms Company women used to shellac the tapes to make them water proof, roll them and put them in the little tin canisters. Ten rolls to a tin. Women also checkered the pistol grips of the Adams revolvers they manufactured.

Several years ago some enterprising individual made the "Tap-a-Cap" where he cut the caps from the roll caps and would place up to three of them in a cup and thereby make his own percussion caps. Not sure how successful that was. Only important thing is to get enough flame to ignite the black powder - with some sort of consistency.

Yeah - Both Maynard G. Krebs and Maynard rifles were popular in their day and I still get a kick out of both of them.

MaynardG

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

MaynardG
    I didnt have any trouble building the Maynard and I know less about them than you do.What is your background?

Most difficult for me was locating and then drilling the .040 hole in the breechface so that it lined up perfectly with the even smaller hole in the cartridge base..........

First connecting link I made wasnt long enough between the holes so I made a second one with that correction..Not everything works well right off the mill table..

Guns is nice easy projects if a guy dont quit 'fore its done....Uhmmm- my disclaimer- I am certainly no Turnbull-- I dont build,and dont have the skills to build anything high dollar fancy. I dont even aspire to that level. .I'm just a hobbiest dinking with my various projects. ... The projects I have shown here can be done by any capable fellow owning the basic metalsworking machinery.. The big difficulty is to keep going until its done......Would like to see more guys build the old guns..Its a lot of fun.

Chips
    City
    Anchorage
    State
    Alaska
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Alphawolf45
    Retired from the military - 20 years with no war skill - still makes me laugh.

The most complicated job I have tackled is a set of double set triggers for a Sharps Borchardt action. Got the action after it had been through a fire so everything was nice and soft. Got the dimensions for the DSTs from the Single Shot Rifle Association, they had two sets, one by Jim Lofland and one by Frank Zitka. Both are essentially the same with differences and both are very easy to do - just takes a lot of time. It was my fifth project on my vertical mill and one of the most satisfying when it was done and actually worked.

What kind of steel did you use for the Maynard receiver and the barrel stub ?

How did you measure for the pin hole and touch hole in the receiver ?

Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, I would have taken a rod - put a point on it, slide it in the barrel and made sure it centered on the touch hole in the cartridge. Then put the barrel in the receiver and lightly tapped it to get the location. Math is not my friend so I could never have measured it and gotten it anywhere near the correct location.

MaynardG

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

MaynardG
    I built the Maynard from used 1 inch thick steel salvaged from overhead cage on old standup electric forklift.. I heated a sample of it cherry red and quenched in water and then tested with file and Rockwell hardness tester to determine that it was a low carbon steel that would not go brittle hard after color case hardening.... 8620 would be the right steel to use when you can find it in size you need.

I started a Borchardt scratchbuild..Its one of the projects I wont ever finish. The blueprints were drawn with numerous mistakes and I was fool enough to trust several dimensions that proved to be incorrect... I have a 3 BooBoos and I quit work plan...The incomplete barreled action now hangs on my wall in my shop...I've since decided that I want nothing to do with any rifle that hasnt got an exposed hammer....

I do intend to make a single set trigger for a highwall- have never made or used anysort of set triggers..Sounds like some fun.

For the Maynard hole through the breech face----- I stuck an insulin syringe needle in the end of wood dowel down the barrel and through an insert I put in one of the cartridges. The needle point passed through the hole in the cartridge base and twirling the wood dowl I was able to mark the location on the breech face with the needle point.....

.I'll measure and drill for a rimfire firing pin but Anymore if its a centerfire I always mark for firing pin hole location through the primer pocket of an empty cartridge- as you suggested...quick and certain to be correct.

Chips
    City
    phoenix
    State
    Arizona
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Steven,

Do you remember what kind of rod you used to TIG weld the 73 Winchester receiver? Were those receivers cast?

thanks,

Allen

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Sakoman View Post
    Steven,

Do you remember what kind of rod you used to TIG weld the 73 Winchester receiver? Were those receivers cast?

thanks,

Allen
    Hello Allen
    I tig welded the 73 receiver with ER70S-6 mild steel filler rod..I first did the electrolytic rust removal procedure which I am sure helped to clean the surface and particularly the open pores prior to tig welding...I dont know if the receiver was cast..It has that appearance but I do not know. It does weld very well. And there is no evidence that it has been welded after ground smooth and case hardened.

Plastic
    City
    De Lier (Westland)
    State
    Netherlands
    Country
    Netherlands
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Great thread guys, impressive work.

I'm an OK metal worker, but have never done any gunsmithing, I like the idea below of modifying a part of a gun first and progress from there. I've got a 10-22 and several 870's in both 12 and 20ga to play with.

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by schilpr View Post
    Great thread guys, impressive work.

I'm an OK metal worker, but have never done any gunsmithing, I like the idea below of modifying a part of a gun first and progress from there. I've got a 10-22 and several 870's in both 12 and 20ga to play with.
    schilpr You have the right idea . Building an entire gun takes too long for most folks busy schedules...Repairing or modifying an existing firearm is a very good way to enjoy the hobby. Start a thread and share pictures when you get something to show..We all enjoy seeing what other folks are doing..

Plastic
    City
    Beebe
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Wow! I would say you did an awsome job. Did you tig each one of those pits and pockets?

Itt

Quote Originally Posted by Alphawolf45 View Post
    It was one extremely rust pocked receiver that the guy sold as a paper weight and I just couldnt help myself, wanted to see if I could turn it into a good looking gun

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzun_itt View Post
    Wow! I would say you did an awsome job. Did you tig each one of those pits and pockets?

Itt
    I have an old TIG welder weighs maybe 500 to 700 lbs. I love the old machine, there isnt much that can go wrong with it that I couldnt repair- unlike the modern wonder boxs that are chock full of printed circuit boards stuffed with surface mount components.....But my 25 or 30 year old Airco hasnt the user controlleable features of the newest welders....But you see that it does a fine job nonetheless.

The pits and pocks were extensive, covering every area of the Winchester 1873 receiver.. Some areas that werent too bad only required a couple strokes with a good file to level it off to below the shallow pits while a whole lot of it had to be filled in with rod.....Really the receiver was too far gone and I only used it because I felt a challenge to see if I could make it look good again.I wouldnt be interested in doing another like it...

I have a bare naked Marlin 1888 receiver coming.The 1888 was only made one year..Only about a thousand of them made 124 years ago..Rare. Its in reasonably good shape but may need some Tig welds to make it nice..

Plastic
    City
    OP
    State
    Kansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Alpha,

Have you shown these guys the second Maynard you finshed? and the
    color cased job on it!! Thought the guys would want to see your handi-work!!

Have to admit I haven't had much shop time recently.. taking care of some
    family stuff and playin nurse to my wife after her surgery..

Respect Always
    Metalshaper/Jonathan
    Last edited by Metalshaper; 12-28-12 at 04:47 PM.

Brass
    City
    Bismarck
    State
    Arkansas
    Country
    United States
    Tickets
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chats
    Total Downloaded
    My Feedback

(0% Positive Feedback)

Quote Originally Posted by Metalshaper View Post
    Alpha,

Have you shown these guys the second Maynard you finshed? and the
    color cased job on it!! Thought the guys would want to see your handi-work!!

Have to admit I haven't had much shop time recently.. taking care of some
    family stuff and playin nurse to my wide after her surgery..

Respect Always
    Metalshaper/Jonathan
    Hello Jonathon . No I havent even taken finished pictures of it..The dang thing did come out nice. FUN little plinker..I cant consistantly hit a cat at 20 paces with my 1911 handgun in .45acp but I got this little Maynard shooting the same cartridges into real tight groups .Could head shoot squirrels with it.....I am a bit bummed, cant decide what I want to work on now.
    Last edited by Alphawolf45; 12-29-12 at 07:25 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast