1/2" shank Milling bits

Richiehd

Registered
Registered
Does anyone make different size milling bits with 1/2" shank? looking for 1/8"and 3/16" Im stuck with 1/2" collett in my mill.

I've never seen any that small. What taper is your mill spindle? Maybe someone can help you out.

What machine do you have? You should be able to find different size collets for your machine.

There are ER16 collet chucks with 1/2" straight shanks available . They will take tools of up to 10mm shank diameter.

I have old Diamond Machine Co. Mill I cannot get the 1/2 in collet out.

IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

Try soaking it with kroil. I've had good luck using it. You could make some bushings out of 1/2"drill rod and ream them to smaller sizes with a set screw to lock the bit.

Is that a one piece 1/2" end mill holder rather than a collet? Any idea what taper the machine uses?

You have an drill/end mill holder, not a collet. 19th century drill presses used 1/2" straight shank drills. These were eventually replaced with tapered shank drills.

I suspect that it is a single piece. What you would want to do is to identify the taper used. Once that is done, you can troll e-bay for other sizes. It may be proprietary though.

Aside from that, consider using a drill chuck with a 1/2" straight shank to hold your smaller drills and end mills. You can get 1/2" straight shank arbors in a variety of Jacibs taper sizes to fit your choice of drill chuck.

The best I could find is a brochure for a 22-M that says the vertical head uses B&S #7 spindle taper.

You have an drill/end mill holder, not a collet. 19th century drill presses used 1/2" straight shank drills. These were eventually replaced with tapered shank drills.

I suspect that it is a single piece. What you would want to do is to identify the taper used. Once that is done, you can troll e-bay for other sizes. It may be proprietary though.

Aside from that, consider using a drill chuck with a 1/2" straight shank to hold your smaller drills and end mills. You can get 1/2" straight shank arbors in a variety of Jacibs taper sizes to fit your choice of drill chuck.
Sorry, but I would not be advocating the use of a drill chuck to hold end mills. The drill chuck is not made for side loads. Especially on chucks that close down to “0”. On those chucks, the jaws go down to a point at the contact area. So the three points of the jaws act like chisels and try and dig into whatever is being held. On the other end of the holding picture, are collets. They have almost 100% surface contact with the clamping area, no chisel action there…Dave

Thanks for all the replies. I got the taper out. It looks to be a B&S # 7 as stated above. Soaked some WD 40 over night and hit the loosened bolt a little harder than I would have liked to, but its probably been stuck in there for many years. Im now on the hunt for some different tapers, found one this morning on Ebay! Thanks again from a beginner!
Richie

Back