+10 for McMaster-Carr

I totally agree, McMaster Carr is awesome. Back before their website (which is awesome) I got their catalog and was amazed at their call in system. Great company!

agreed - but those &#%@^-ers still won't sent me a catalog!
It used to be they would only send catalogs to companies with 20+ employees. But with such a good website who needs a paper catalog?

I once ordered something from them in the morning, no special shipping requested, and I received it that afternoon (shipped from their NJ warehouse to CT). Usually anything I order I get the next day.

Is it still family owned? I didn't know that. Not surprised though.

Ordered a bunch of different width, 3/8” thick 1018 for my most recent project. I shopped around online and was getting mixed results on price and shipping.

McMaster had competitive pricing on the steel. A few bucks higher than the lowest price from online metal supplies.

I emailed (from my shopping) cart and inquired about a shipping quote for my saved order. Got a reply a few minutes later to ship the steel, next day to Vermont for $15.

They charged me less than quoted and got it the next day.

It is hard to complain about anything with that company. They get it and do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their catalog is like a trophy haha.

Their shipping costs sometimes kill me, just got some 2.5mm ball bearings for a drill chuck, charged $13 shipping. That being said, they ship FAST. When I was in high school on the robotics team, we'd order several times a week and occasionally got it on the same day if ordered before lunch. It helps that I'm about 45min away.

I always use their website as a paradigm of website design. It is so nice

You got that right! So many big name stores would benefit from visiting the McMaster Carr website. It is the epitome of search-ability.

Cheapest flat rate from USPS is $7.50, they just charged me $7.71 for a box about the size of a medium flat rate and I had it essentially next day (ordered on Sunday, arrived today). I think they get a heck of a deal from their shippers and pass along the savings.

The biggest thing for me though is just the lack of hassle getting what I want, their website is stellar, selection is phenomenal, and I get what I order right away....

John

Oh yeah, about those 2.5mm ball bearings: Cheaper than what I would have payed on ebay (ignoring shipping), and they emailed me separately a frigging certificate of elemental makeup, diameter, roundness, hardness, and sphericity tests sampled from the lot. For an $8 baggie. I can't believe they cater to non-businesses this way, incredible.

It is rare that I can find something in their catalog that won't be here tomorrow. The warehouse in SoCal must be the size of an Alabama county.
Grainger's pales in comparison, and has for the 20 years I have been in this line of work.

Tell me Bill, what are you doing with the pieces of silicon once you have them cut to size?

Back