100 year old South Bend 34 Rustoration

still working on getting the countershaft straight, I had an idea, I cant use the nice new 3/4 hp motor i have sitting waiting for a pulley, but i have an old 1/4 hp motor, so a quick drive option added, the 1/4 hp motor doesnt like driving this big beastie, in fact it quickly got quite hot, but i managed to get some chis and straighten up one end of the shaft, if the worst comes to the worst, i can turn it by hand and it will make chips this was good enough for a start though, it runs smooth and quiet, but 1/4 hp is way not enough. this drive just tensions on the weight of the motor.IMG_3710.JPGIMG_3712.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3711.JPG
    IMG_3711.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3713.JPG
    IMG_3713.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
well I went out for a walk, and by the time i arrived home the part had printed, I did need to run an M8 tap through to clean up the printed thread (not unusual) but when I tried it on the lathe it was a perfect fit, the 1/2" hole through will form the pivot point for the countershaft and motor unit, now to print a second, ideally i would have rounded over all the outer edges, but this was just the prototype to see if it fitted the ways, which it does perfectly.
well I have got to the point of hanging the motor and countershaft, I had not realised how much space these would need, and once i had shifted the lathe far enough to get the assembly mounted, it soon became obvious that this part was going to need to be a lot stronger, wood or even steel as the 3d part slowly delaminated and bent out of shape, still the 3d printed parts can be used as stops or indicator mounts., so now to work out another way to make these hinge points.

shifting the lathe around to try various motor mount options was proving difficult, short of having an engine hoist permanently in place, so a set of 4 500Kg rated wheels was obtained and fitted, this raises the lathe by about 4", but as I am 6 foot 4" this brings the bed up to a workable standing height

these are quite handy because the levelling part retracts into the body to allow the wheels to roll, so once you are in position you can re-level the bedIMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

well finally i have constructed a motor and countershaft mount and have the lathe powered up, I have steel on order to replace the countershaft as that is struggling to run true so its replacement will be the first big job on the lathe, it takes a nice cut under power, though I did trip the 5A fuse I was running on startup once the main drive shaft and chuck were connected, that 3/4hp motor draws 3.5A running so startup may well have exceeded the 5A limit, 13A now installed and not had a problem since. I did have to beef up my motor mount as the original 1" x 1/8" bar was too flexible, its now been replaced with 3/8" thick and is a lot sturdier. but its once again making chips, next job is to tune it all in

I have the guard and the bracket, just havent had a chance to fit it yet

Good, hope you do it soon. It is so easy to get caught in open gears.

Back