1889 stevens favorite

the other one i did was just rust blues i have played with color a little and thought about it but not set on either way . i did cut the barrel shank last night on the 17 call and have the 22 call all dialed in ready to cut the shank on it . lots of barrel to cut down and get tapered. 22 cal barrel was 21 inches and 17 cal was 24

Norm,

Who's barrel blank are you using and how do you plan to taper it? I assume it's octagon at the breech and round the rest of the way out?

Tom

they are green mountain blanks and they are round they dont look original but they look fine Jul23$29.JPGthis is the 1894 i did last year i think cut about .250 taper

Jul23$29.JPG

Last edited:
Good work. Don't have a Favorite, but have a Crackshot, and a #6 Remington falling block, both of which I have drilled out and installed liners in. Both shoot very well.

well after a month off and a lot of work we managed to shoot the old gun today both the 22 and the 17 mach 2 shot under haft inch at 50 with a scope clamped on temp. the previous week was the 17 mach2 would crack a case every now and then i cut the barrel off and remachined the extractoe slot tighter and worked real well must of fired it over 100 rounds today cant wait to hit the tree rats

well after a month off and a lot of work we managed to shoot the old gun today both the 22 and the 17 mach 2 shot under haft inch at 50 with a scope clamped on temp. the previous week was the 17 mach2 would crack a case every now and then i cut the barrel off and remachined the extractoe slot tighter and worked real well must of fired it over 100 rounds today cant wait to hit the tree rats

Norm,

It sounds like a real nice shooter. How about some pics of the finished product?

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
its still white and wood is just being shaped has been set back after set back to get the old action to work good . but will get some pics as they get ready be finished

well i have been working on it now on and off for 8 months it was a total junk when i was given a the old action so i will up dat e a few pic where it now is222.jpg333.jpg4.jpg33.jpg42.jpg43.jpg

22.jpg 4.jpg 33.jpg 42.jpg 43.jpg 222.jpg 333.jpg

Back