1940's Monarch lathe ( maybe CK, 14" x 30" ??) near Indianapolis

rabler

Addlepated tinkerer
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Found on Facebook Marketplace (not my ad, no association with seller). This appears to be a 40's era Monarch lathe, probably a CK, 14" x 30" actual size. I have one and it is a pretty nice machine to use if it is in reasonable shape. Seller claims "good condition"?? If so, $1500 is a great price.

The CK that I had did not have the hinged speed change levers, but the rest of it looks just the same.

The CK that I had did not have the hinged speed change levers, but the rest of it looks just the same.
My 1944 has the exact same levers. What year was yours?
These things weigh about 3500lbs plus motor weight. Typically 3ph 3HP but 5HP was an option. Fairly low spindle speed range, I doubled mine with a 4 pole motor and VFD replacing the 6 pole motor.

My 1944 has the exact same levers. What year was yours?
These things weigh about 3500lbs plus motor weight. Typically 3ph 3HP but 5HP was an option. Fairly low spindle speed range, I doubled mine with a 4 pole motor and VFD replacing the 6 pole motor.
I think that mine was 1943; it seems to me that I saw a build sheet for mine that indicated that there were multiple mix and match options for the machine as to headstocks, carriages tailstocks, taper attachments and other accessories.

Mine is a 1947, CK 12". Ours is leaking oil out of the bottom of the front spindle. Do you know if there is a seal or bearing there? If so, do you have any knowledge on repairing/replacing it?

Bud

Attachments

• monarch ck29593 .jpg
    monarch ck29593 .jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 0
  • monarch spindle chuck photo.jpg
    monarch spindle chuck photo.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 0
Mine is a 1947, CK 12". Ours is leaking oil out of the bottom of the front spindle. Do you know if there is a seal or bearing there? If so, do you have any knowledge on repairing/replacing it?

Bud
Probably best to post this to the Monarch sub-forum. It will get more eyes there.

Back