1943 Monarch 10EE S/N 17646-Retrofit and Repair

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I'm finally in the Monarch Club, solely due to the good graces from a fellow member TAWP TOOL.
he offered me the lathe with goodies involved and even supplied the muscle to comealong the beast onto the trailer!
one heck of a good man in my book!

from the bottom of my heart,thank you!!!

May i introduce you all to Mildred, my Monarch 10EE

here is a shot after returning from TAWP HQ , with Mildred still loaded up
IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2812.JPG
after unloading, she rests before major reconstructive surgery,

IMG_2813.JPG

here is a picture of the intricate drive system

FullSizeRender_4.jpg

here is what i know about the patient...
Monarch 10EE Former USN Lathe 00134
3200#lbs weight
12.5" Swing 20" between centers
V Belt Driven, multi reduction
Unknown motor and drive system
has not run in years.

The Doctor is about to operate...:grin big:

afraid of system failure i decided to remove the unknow drive system.
the plan is upgrade to a Baldor 5 hp 3phase 230v motor and an inexpensive chinese vfd(that was included with the lathe to boot!!)
but i had to get the old drive out to do the retrofit.

it isn't at first apparent by looking at the photo below,
but there is less than 1/8" between this previously retrofitted motor and the crudely cut out clearance in the frame.
it may have vibrated the lathe a bit during operation if the motor touched the frame.

IMG_2822.JPG

in the picture below is the speed selector, by varying the position you can change the motor speed
i'm not sure how it worked, but apparently it did at one time.

IMG_2821.JPG
there was lots of room near the headstock drive end, but the motor is about 15" in diameter and 22" long with the integral gearbox

IMG_2819.JPG IMG_2817.JPG
IMG_2816.JPG

the previous retrofit encountered some problems, there were only 3 bolts present in the 4 motor hold down threaded holes.
i surmise the slight misalignment of the motor kept the motor from rubbing full time on the frame of the lathe

i unbolted the motor and slid the belts off and the slid the motor out onto an awaiting pallet jack!

IMG_2823.JPG

i was finally able to finally identify the motor!
IMG_2826.jpg

i now could bring the drive out and try to test the 300+# beast!!

IMG_2824.JPG

i didn't want to jinx the first run by trying to make a video of it running :distrust:
but here is a video of the second run!!!
(don't try this at home boys and girls!!!!!)

there is more fun to be had, lots to do!
more to come :grin:
thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Mike,
Sounds like you will be busy for awhile
Hi nez!
i hope to have a pulse from the patient soon!
if i'm messing with a project, it usually keeps me out of trouble!!! (or gets me into trouble :anon:)

Wow, congrats, Mike! You're living the dream but this makes it what, 9 lathes? You have the disease really bad!!

Can't wait to see your patient up and running.

Congratulations on your new family member. Keep posting.
Did a quick search on Type TLK motors, were they a universal motor? Quite a beast. Could the gearbox be utilized for 3 ranges with the VFD? Probably not necessary with 5 HP though.
Great to see kids with new toys.

Greg

MG lathes are not that difficult to fix, Wards Leonard drives were used in lots of elevators, keep it original. The Moarch board at PM is your got to resource for experience of those who have been down this path before you.

Your nose is going to be too high in the air for you to see straight ahead. You will need to walk backwards to see where you are going:acne:.

Last edited:
Back