[How do I?] 1980 Bridgeport Series 1

Have you proven the tram ring? Rotated it 180° to see if the high spot stays?

I rotated it during the check. I had run the check several times too. I guess the only thing I have not done is place on my inspection block.

Looks like it would work fine. I had one that looked just like it on my old mill. I know nothing about that particular manufacturer.

I do like the pump lever handle on that one vs the pull knob style on my bujur. I'm betting it will be tons cheaper also. Get yourself a gallon of Mobil Vactra 4 and you'll be set.
I give mine several shots before using and work the table and saddle full travel to spread the oil around. If course a day later theres oil dripping out all over and pooling on the base casting that gets wiped clean.

I just noticed the one you posted is made by the same company Changhua Chen Ying (Taiwanese) as the one Tormach sold me with my pcnc1100. Not sure how good or bad it is yet but so far after 1+ yr of use it works fine, no issues, leaks etc. Oil is definitely gushing from every orifice on the mill that I know. If its a good price I'd say go with it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1473191773.035551.jpg

I do like the pump lever handle on that one vs the pull knob style on my bujur. I'm betting it will be tons cheaper also. Get yourself a gallon of Mobil Vactra 4 and you'll be set.
I give mine several shots before using and work the table and saddle full travel to spread the oil around. If course a day later theres oil dripping out all over and pooling on the base casting that gets wiped clean.

It was $62.55 on eBay. The oiler that is on the mill now is the bujur with the pull knob. What caught my eye is the pump handle on this one like you mentioned.

I have a couple gallons of Vactra on hand because of my import mill I have.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a X-Axis Power Feed? I see quite a few on eBay, but I am not sure I want to just buy one out of the blue without some owner feedback etc...

I just noticed the one you posted is made by the same company Changhua Chen Ying (Taiwanese) as the one Tormach sold me with my pcnc1100. Not sure how good or bad it is yet but so far after 1+ yr of use it works fine, no issues, leaks etc. Oil is definitely gushing from every orifice on the mill that I know. If its a good price I'd say go with it
View attachment 135370

I do believe you can set the amount of oil that is dispersed with those electronic oilers. That might stop the overflow you are experiencing. I just went to the Tormac web site as I was typing this and I think that I may have found the one you have. According to the description you can adjust the stroke length and lessen the amount of oil that gets pumped into the ways.

31373 - Automatic Oiler – 115VAC
PN: 31373
Shipping Weight: 10 lbs.
Stock: In Stock

An automatic oiler with programmable time settings for both stroke length and stroke interval as well as force feed setting. It has integrated audible warnings for refill as well as detection for both abnormal pressure and overheating. 120VAC for integration with the PCNC 770.

$66 sounds like a winner. Perfect for a manual BP. The auto oilers are a couple hundred if i remember. You are correct tho they can be adjusted. I went that route because I am all about excess oil and intentionally have it set to gush. It really help keeping things clean and nice when your compelled to wipe it down frequently. Given the fairly low cost of way lube its cheap insurance. Having acquired and cleaned my share of grungy, neglected tools, it something you want to not let happen.

So I received the oiler that I purchased. It is well made, mostly metal.
The exceptions are the three items I noted in the pic below. All in all, for $62 not too bad.

OIL PUMP.png

I have the exact pump pictured above and it works fine. Metering in manual oiling systems is usually done with a set of orifices that you can put into the lines leading to various areas on the machine. On large machines this is a real process when your volume is effected by distance from the pump etc. I just remember it taking me a week or so to get the system fine tuned on a large boring mill, (6x15' table with a 15' tall column). This was before electronic oiling systems of course. I find on this little manual pump you can regulate how much flows by how far you stroke the handle. If you run Vactra 4 in that pump the handle will take a bit to return to the normal position as the oil is quite viscous. I would not throw away the old Bujur. Someone like Keith Rucker at Vintage tools might like that for a restoration. Besides the staining of the plastic, which takes about six months, you can't kill one of those pumps. One plus of a Bridgeport is there are a ton of spare parts out there.

Back