1982 Lada Niva

That might be due to location. Mine sits in the yard except when it has to pull the trailer to the dump or store. And the rare snow. And that's why I ended up with the wheels I did. The M/S tires I wanted didn't come in 15", only 16". Hmmm, I have a stack of old E46 16x7's behind the barn. They bolted right on.

It's surgery time for the new rims. I already had the adapter chucked up in my lathe so i machined it for the centre hole, i made it very tight fit, with a small taper, then one by one mounted the new to me alloy wheels, i used the bolts to centre it, i had to use a small shim on one to get it in specs. For boring bar i used a sandvik 2" bar with a very dull carbide insert, i spun the wheel up to 400 rpm but was getting chatter, slow it down to 250 rpm and used my hand to hold some friction and got pass the chatter and got good finish, i'm not sure what aluminium is this but seems much harder, stronger than others. It took some time but one by one i got them all bored out to 98,5mm (Lada specs). The new to me rims are very straight, the little niva will run much smoother on them.
IMG_20200824_172123.jpgIMG_20200824_174801.jpgIMG_20200824_181803.jpgIMG_20200824_192506.jpgIMG_20200824_200601.jpg

Today after work, i test fit ed the new to me rims. This meant i had to take off the wheel adapters. The van tires are very undersized so i decided i'll take them off the rims. The new rims are a good fit both on the hubs and the backspacing is right, for temporary wheels i installed the factory russian wheels that i had mounted few days ago, i'll keep them on till i get the the diesel engine swapped and certified. Then i moved them around loaded the wheels in the trailer to be ready to take them to the tire shop tomorrow. All this extra work is taking a lot more time than i thought.
IMG_20200825_092852.jpgIMG_20200825_092842.jpgIMG_20200825_090704_1.jpgIMG_20200825_090725_1.jpgIMG_20200825_100300.jpgIMG_20200825_103120.jpg

I love seeing that car, you did such a great rebuild!

Then i moved them around loaded the wheels in the trailer to be ready to take them to the tire shop tomorrow.

You got that latched fixed too then, right? :eek 2:

All this extra work is taking a lot more time than i thought.

Still, I'd rather be helping you than going to my office every day!

-brino

ou got that latched fixed too then, right?
Yeah, i might forgot to mention it, the small plate it laches to had some cold welds, i grind them down and welded it again, i also put a bolt thru the angle plate just in case. Coming back from the tire shop i'm uphill and last time because complete tires take much less space and i dispose of 6 tires i had slack in the trailer that made the tires roll and pound the tailgate. I got a DHL strap on it now should hold. Also, i'm trying to run it out of propane and gasoline, so i'm constantly switching between them and the ride is very jerky.

Which diesel are you going to use in the Lada? The big turbo Pugeot? Will you need to change gearing for the swap?

Because i need to pass certification i'll be using a N/A 1,9 D peugeot diesel, engine code XUD9. I bought an entire parts car and got the good turbo diesel that will need a rebuild but i have the strongest parts from all engines to make me a second ready to drop in engine after i get the diesel certified. Funny enough diesel fuel has been on the up last few months, it use to be 20% cheaper than gasoline, now the difference is much smaller. I've bought bigger tires to gear it up a bit, also bought me a 5 speed gearbox the have 0.82:1 5th gear that should be enough, i've also wanted to build me a high RPM diesel for long time now, i have a 8 counterweight forged crank that will fit XUD9 and few diesel fuel pumps from various vehicles that have bigger pistons and different governors that can be adjusted so i can get to 6000-6500 rpm. I relay want to keep my 4,3 diffs.

Last edited:
So you're using the 16v TD from the Citroen? Who made that motor? Citroen is popular in Europe, but they seem small enough of a company to use other manufacturer's designs. I'm curious how power/RPM performance compares to the gas/propane motor, and if the lower RPM range of the diesel will limit your speed. How much does the engine weigh? Is it sleeved aluminum or cast iron?

Back