1982 Lada Niva

I've been busy and this project started to lose momentum, but i'm pushing along. Today i spent 3-4 hours cleaning more lada parts, cleaning parts had taken much more time than i ever thought, the lada is 39 years old and the oil and grime had that long to accumulate.
IMG_20210226_204437.jpgIMG_20210226_204446.jpgIMG_20210226_204452.jpg

i'm pushing along. Today i spent 3-4 hours cleaning more lada parts

That's great progress Goce!

You've got me thinking about a parts washer too. I don't have the shop space for a permanently setup one.
However, I have a couple old retired tanks (water pressure tank, compressor) and could cut one like yours and put it on saw-horses when needed.
It would have to be stored out in a shed, but would be available when I need it.

Thanks for posting!
-brino

I'm also getting tight with my work space, too many vehicles, but this size and shape is working out very well for me, i've gotten me a stool and i can seat down and scrub parts for hours. One future i may add and would recommend is a heater to keep the solvent ( diesel fuel) warm, seams to clean better and its better for the hands.
IMG_20210227_170335.jpg

Today i've continued washing cylinder head and its parts. Also prepared washed and painted the oil pan, engine and alternator mounts, there is lots of small parts that are very gunked up, and finally i managed to start to grind in the valves, but i have a deep gash in the poem of my hand from cutting down a big tree in my yard, and turning the valve with the handle is very painful so i had to stop i don't need blood on it.
IMG_20210227_170427.jpgIMG_20210227_170436.jpgIMG_20210227_170347.jpg

YES, now that's classic Fiat. The oil pickup screen forever imprinted into the bottom of the oil pan. :)

Haha, yeah they have a copy of a fiat engine. The original oil pan of my niva had a broken baffle plate, and has 5mm thick layer of grime on it, this oil pan come off the spare ( junkyard) engine and my thought is someone jumped there niva a bit too high, i'll be checking the clearance between the pump and pan.

Around here it was parking curbs. Concrete stops to keep people from pulling too far forward. People would drive in until the tires touched the curb. Fine in an American car; there was plenty of clearance. Fiats' would drag the oil pan sump and press it up against the pickup.

Today with only an hour to spare, i've spent it lapping the valves for the little niva. I've found couple that wore too damaged to re use so i used couple of the spare cylinder head. All 8 valves should seal, i still need to clean up and assemble the valve springs, seals and the rest of the valve train. I also stored the oil pan, engine mounts and alternator mount, with in satin black look very good.
IMG_20210301_192711_1.jpgIMG_20210301_175415.jpg

Today i had some time to spare today so i continued on this project. I spent first part of my time washing the valve train parts spring seats, shims, keepers, caps and others. Then after installing new OEM valve seals i started assembling the valves one by one. By the time i got finished with all 8 valves it was way past midnight, so i stopped, i'm debating should i paint the engine block, the oe paint washed off but i can't find heat resistant paint in the same shade of blue.
IMG_20210303_190241.jpgIMG_20210303_190250.jpgIMG_20210303_211748.jpgIMG_20210303_211756.jpg

I'm waiting for the turbo upgrade. Mike

Back