4 jaw chuck alignment video

jumps4

Global Moderator
Registered
most may have seen this video but it is really good for 4 jaw alignment
he makes it look really easy, but i did get the same results with practice.
I keep the video on my shop pc's for reference because i have crs
steve
[video=youtube;2KMhx4DbyDg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KMhx4DbyDg[/video]

Last edited:
jumps4: Thanks for posting that video, I'd never seen it before. You're right he makes it look so simple. Can't wait to try it Sat. morning. I end up with the same results but I sure do go the long way around. Not anymore. Roger

most may have seen this video but it is really good for 4 jaw alignment
he makes it look really easy, but i did get the same results with practice.
I keep the video on my shop pc's for reference because i have crs
steve

jumps4,

Thanks for posting the video. The two chuck key method looks like a good idea and your post triggered my memory to do a search for a video that another member had found on the same subject but I had not seen. Everytime I was on the web I forgot to look for it but I just did and have inclulded a link for those who may not have seen it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npJfKhkS0QE

Thanks again, I will have to file this method away for trying when I get a chance.

Benny

Time to make a second key for my 4 jaw. That does simplify it quite a bit. I always wished I had second key for that purpose and never took the time to make one. Its such a pain to tighten it that last bit with only one key and keeping it on spot at the same time.

It just takes some practice if your going to indicate on the 4 jaw guys. No need for a second key. The only time Ive ever indicated and moved two jaws without moving the chuck is when using the big 24" cushman chuck with an extreemly heavy workpiece.
Just remember, when indicating od, "looses your lows, tighten your highs". Keep rotating the chuck and watching the indicator. Watch what closest jaw passes the "high" and go to the the jaw 180 out. Loosen that one slightly and move 180 again and tighten. Keep repeating the process. if the high and lows fall in between jaws then move the jaws closest the those point. One you get the part within a few thousanths sometimes its just a matter of slightly bumping one jaw loose, or keep tightening the high. But dont try and keep splitting the difference. Just keep rotating the chuck watching the indicator for your lows and high, and adjusting slightly untill you get to zero.
Ive done it soo many times now its like second nature for me. But keep in mind I do this everyday for a living.
Makes me want to take a video myself.

Remember my thread on the chuck key I made? That's the very reason I made it, I am now a master at indicating a 4 jaw:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: It really is a great method.

Back