4jaw vs 3jaw

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hi guys

I finally got some money saved up for a 4jaw selfcentering chuck. I do have an independent 4jaw and selfcentering 3jaw. Iwant to know is what you guys think. If you must choose between 4jaw and 3jaw,which one would you pick. Is really a clear winner or not? I know the 3jaw is the best when it comes to nut making out of hexbar,but for the rest is up in the air. Need to regrind my 3jaw chuck aswell.

With a three jaw chuck all the jaws will tighten on round stock even if its out of round. Unless the four jaws can be adjusted independently they won't have equal clamping force.

Greg

I do not see the need for a 4 jaw self center when you have a regular 4 jaw. I use my 4 jaw about once every 15 years. If your 3 jaw is bad, I would get a GOOD 3 jaw. Like one with the ajust-tru feature:). IMHO trying to re-grind the jaws is futile. Or get a collet set-up…Dave

Thanks guys
I would give your opinions a thought. It's always good to listen what others have to say about a matter before making a decision.

i agree with @chips&more
if you have a 4j independent and a 3 jaw scroll chuck, you really don't need a 4 jaw scroll chuck
you'd be better off buying a set true 3 jaw scroll chuck and be done with it.

there is another method of truing up work,
rather than explain it, i'll give the video of the method from Joe Pieczynski

Last edited:
If you have the coins to get one, I am of the opinion that it is a big plus. I recently bought one and am mighty glad I did. They can be mighty expensive depending what you land on.

I am lucky to have the 4 Jaw combination and a 5C set-tru. To be honest, the 5C sees more duty but my combination 4 jaw is way better than my 3 jaw. Downside is that it is a bit heavy but worth the hassle.

You can take the work piece out and put it back without inheriting a bunch of run out - a Big plus. Here are a couple of threads/discussions on this in the past few months here on the forum.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/6-jaw-vs-4-jaw-chuck.58657/

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/8-bison-4-jaw-combination-chuck.62323/

Is it okay to hold hex stock in a 4J?

Is it okay to hold hex stock in a 4J?
I'd use my 3 jaw for that but I don't turn much hex.

Guess it is just the nature of what I work on but it seems way more likely for me to be making hex in the mill.

I have decided to take the 4jaw scroll chuck(10' bison) for my 1.5m btc mashstroy
lathe for 3 reasons. 1: The 4 independent chuck I have is good and all but very big and heavy,good for ofcenter jobs but takes time for setting up stock. 2: My 3jaw is a bit worn but still workable,but workpieces sometimes start to run out a bit. 3: I got it for a very good price at R3 000,that is just over $200. Brand new out of the box with 2 sets of jaws. I found out they are alot mor expensive. I just have to make a backplate for it,because I am not willing to pay almost half the price of the chuck. But that is not a problem making one. Thanks for your input.

Back