54r Aluminum Mauser Stock Project

Holescreek

Active User
Registered
I've made a few aluminum stocks before but this is my current project and happen to have photos handy.

I have build threads detailing the build itself on a couple gun forums but I'll leave those details out because the management here doesn't seem to like us talking about the "bang" parts of gun builds.

This is a large ring 98 Mauser modified to shoot 7.62x54r. I've made a box mag but it's still in the R&D phase so I made some adjustments to the feed rails and can load and chamber 3 54r cartridges from the internal mag.

I started with a 2"x4"x 14" long block of 6061 and inletted it for the 98 action on a manual Bridgeport. The Mauser has a couple tapered areas that necessitated mounting the block on my rotary table and in some cases using a 3 degree tapered end mill.

DSCF6932_zpsb2rvaoma.jpg

Some clearance cuts for the bolt channel

DSCF6938_zpsri7gtxqy.jpg

and inletting at a 3.5 degree angle for the bottom metal.

DSCF6939_zpsi3tqxoic.jpg

Next problem was to figure out how to attach an AR pistol grip and transition it to the existing bottom metal. I created a joint behind the trigger guard to give me the transition:

DSCF6948_zps1zprvjas.jpg

Very nice! I can't wait to see how this turns out. Would it be okay to post a test target after?

I'm trying out an idea using an adjustable ACE shock absorber in the butt stock, I needed a way to retain the shock to the butt pad and in the butt stock. The butt pad is dovetailed for vertical adjustment too:

DSCF6960_zpst6vczufy.jpg

Things happened kind of fast and I didn't get separate photos of the butt stock and I finished contouring the front and got the butt stock mounted:

DSCF6965_zpsduxohzo4.jpg

I thought about making a folding stick but couldn't find a justification for needing one (going through the work to make a hinge) so I just made a modular attachment system so I could play around with different designs.

DSCF6967_zpseypsj364.jpg

DSCF6966_zpsy1baqea3.jpg

So here's where I'm at for the moment:

DSCF6962_zps6rp3aw0t.jpg

DSCF6964_zpsdyzaot21.jpg

I just ordered scope bases and bedding compound, while I wait I'll work on a cheek piece, bipod mount, and try to come up with a paint scheme.

Very nice! I can't wait to see how this turns out. Would it be okay to post a test target after?

I've built a couple rifles in 54r for accuracy testing using surplus ammo. I've been on a quest for the claimed "M.O.A." that others on the net claim they are getting with it. This is just another attempt. I have just one more rifle planned in 54r but it's too early to get into the details.

Here was the last one:

DSCF6347_zpscbc9456b.jpg

and the one before that:

DSCF5986_zps46572605.jpg

Cool stuff guys! Keep it coming.
R

Very nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back