A Beginners Clock

Re: The next project

Just to keep things ticking over while I wait for a no 57 drill,??? This is the first part to be put together
Its the winding cord hub and ratchet wheel.

Brian
P1011897.JPG

P1011897.JPG View attachment 96397

Today I managed some shop time, and made the bushes.
These are required because I am using steel for the plates.
Clocmakers use very thin bushings to repair worn clocks,but these may be beyond the skills of the person that this clock is aimed at. So i have made nice small Top Hat ones
P1011912.JPG
P1011913.JPG

P1011914.JPG

P1011912.JPG P1011913.JPG P1011914.JPG P1011915.JPG

Can you go into more detail on Lathe gear indexing? Like construction of the bushing that connects the index gear to the lathe spindle.
single pawl.JPG

single pawl.JPG

Im going to have to put this project on the back burner for a while as I have had a disaster with my boat engine that threatens my summer cruising.:nono:

Loads of work to do

Regards Brian.

Cant work on the boat due to storms, so it's into the workshop to turn the main arbor. and do a trial assembly.

P1011932.JPG

Only the pawl and spring to go and the main arbor assy is finished.

Brian

P1011932.JPG

The plate asembly, now fitted with bushes for the main arbor.
The 5 sided tapered broach is used to enlage the bushes from both sides, untill the arbor fits.

P1011935.JPG

P1011936.JPG

This is the only arbor that is placed by measurement. the others are placed by the fit of the gears.

Brian.

P1011935.JPG P1011936.JPG

{snip} It also mentions a device called the "Eureka continuous form relieving attachment" for reliving the form on multi-tooth cutters. It sounds like drawings may be available to make one, so the search continues...

Tom

Did you find the answer to this? The Eureka is drawn up in 'Gears and Gear Cutting by Ivan Law, Workshop Practice Series 17'

Richard

Yes Richard, I ordered that book from the Book Depository over in your neck of the woods.

Thanks,

Tom

At last the drill has arived, So i can drill the holes to make the lantern pinions.
The first is the 5 tooth pinion that drives the hour wheel.
To do this a minidrill is set up on the vertical slide.

P1011949.JPG

And a 50t gear used to index at 10 teeth advance.

P1011955.JPG

Gear now ready to insert the pins.

Brian.

P1011949.JPG P1011955.JPG

Back