A Beginners Clock

Re: The next project

Plate and Pillar assembly.

lkjhg.JPG

Brian.

lkjhg.JPG

Next job is to notch the balance beam ( foliot ) to locate the controll weights.

P1011879.JPG

All done on the 7x12

P1011881.JPG

Plodding on Brian.

P1011879.JPG P1011881.JPG

Hi,

I read this thread and all I can say it is marvellous. I did some clock making long time ago but most jobs were done with proper tools. Here, however, I found many of the classic ideas from my clock making books turned into reality. Very, very nice thing to find.

How is the clock build going? This project deserves special respect from me.

Juliusz

Thanks Juliusz, I am waiting on the post to deliver the no57 drill that i require to make the pinions. so i have made progress on the hand work.
This is the pile so far.

P1011886.JPG

It's coming allong.
Brian.

P1011886.JPG

...this has 32 teeth so i used the 80 tooth change wheel to do the indexing.

How do you use an 80 tooth gear to index 32 positions? Every other tooth gives 40, every third gives 26.667. What am I missing?

Mark

Hi Mark

80/ 32= 2.5 index every 2 1/2 teeth.
I dont think you missed anything, just went down not up, think of it as a 160 t gear.

OK, Glad to help:)) Brian.

..index every 2 1/2 teeth...

Ah, I didn't know it was fair to index at the top of a tooth. That makes perfect sense. Does your index pawl lock in that position as well?

Thanks for the reply!

Mark

I used 2 pawls the second one is adjustable to get exactly 1/2 a tooth.

Now you can see why i am doing a instruction book for this clock over 100 photos taken so far and 15 drawings done , and a long way to go yet.

Every question asked helps me see how to construct the book.

Thanks, Brian.

I used 2 pawls the second one is adjustable to get exactly 1/2 a tooth.

That is pretty cleaver! Your thread is VERY interesting; and, I'll be watching it very closely. You might get tired of me prodding you.

Now you can see why i am doing a instruction book for this clock over 100 photos taken so far and 15 drawings done...

It will be a treat to see the finished clock and the book. More power to you! I plan to goad you onward.

Mark

Nice clock work. I'll be watching this thread, lots of great ideas.

Back