A couple of my bicycle builds

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
At least I can post a completed project here.
One of my hobbies is building recumbent bikes and trikes so here are a couple.

This low rider is my main ride.
repaired-2.jpg

this one was built for my wife
trike1.jpg

Although not a recumbent its a hoot to ride
chop-side.jpg

And the current project on the bench is a leaning delta trike, I only have the swinging arms and drive shaft done so far but heres the plan.
3d1L.jpg

repaired-2.jpg

trike1.jpg

chop-side.jpg

3d1L.jpg

Love the bikes, what are the frames made of? I do a lot of Mtn biking but would love to build a cool run about.

As I'm a cheap skate just mild steel. I would love to use cro-mo but the cost is out of my budget.

Do you have the capabilty to tig alli? That would definately lighten your projects a bit, but it will also lighten your wallet a bit more too. I have a smaller AC tig that works perfectly on tube and pipe. It only goes about 150 amps AC with high freq starting so I can stretch abit and go up to 1/4 if I prep the joint tight with bevels. Miller has the diversion 165's and Hobart has the tig 165I that would be great for the job. They also run 220 single phase, as well as multi voltage on the miller. Just in case your looking to expand your work envelope a little.
Bob

nice job and interesting designs
that first one is long pretty kewl:))
I mig weld aluminum without a spool gun with no problem. i use .030 wire and a .035 liner, agron and it works fine. wire brush everything with a stainless brush before welding.
steve

stop over some day with your super ride. not to far to fall anyway, when i tip it over :)) oh ya, its a longggg swim.

At least I can post a completed project here.
One of my hobbies is building recumbent bikes and trikes so here are a couple.

The bikes look terrific. The trike is interesting. I ride a trike, however, it has a motor and is made by CanAm. My grand daughter has spina bifida and has a beautiful trike. It is propelled and steered with her arms.

You do very nice work!
Les

Do you have the capabilty to tig alli? That would definately lighten your projects a bit, but it will also lighten your wallet a bit more too. I have a smaller AC tig that works perfectly on tube and pipe. It only goes about 150 amps AC with high freq starting so I can stretch abit and go up to 1/4 if I prep the joint tight with bevels. Miller has the diversion 165's and Hobart has the tig 165I that would be great for the job. They also run 220 single phase, as well as multi voltage on the miller. Just in case your looking to expand your work envelope a little.
Bob

I would love a tig set but they are a fair bit here, then theres the cost of the gas, thats a heck of a price just for the ability to tig stuff so unfortunately I'm stuck with mig.
I need more toys but the financial controller wont release any more funds:bawling:

nice job and interesting designs
that first one is long pretty kewl:))
I mig weld aluminum without a spool gun with no problem. i use .030 wire and a .035 liner, agron and it works fine. wire brush everything with a stainless brush before welding.
steve

Even though the engine is clapped out on the long one it can still reach 40KPH on the flat but cant sustain it for long:shush:
I have used mig for aly many years ago but that was with a gun.
Dont you have to use a different liner from the one you use for steel?
Just as a matter of interest aluminium doesnt give much of a weight savings in these kind of bikes. Tyres, wheels and all the other bits etc really add up. The maximum weight savings can be done by shaving it off the motor:rofl: particularly in my case.

Very cool bikes I need one like that so I can lay down and peddle. I see you steer the trike with a brake is that right?

Paul

yes i use a .035 liner and .030 aluminum wire and tip but yes the argon is costly also
so the motor needs to be lightened up the most:lmao::lmao::lmao:
steve

Back