A hybrid Norton toolpost

markba633csi

Mark Silva
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This took me about a week, amazingly no major goofs. My lathe has been bugging me to do it for a while- good catch-up project for pandemic boy
I used 1" cold rolled for the post instead of the more usual 1-1/4", seems pretty solid to me. That was the only piece I needed to buy.
I'm going to fix the socket head screw with removable Loctite, then use the nut to do the pinching- an open end wrench just slips over
-Mark
Next project: A knurler

Attachments

• DSCN0405.JPG
    DSCN0405.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN0406.JPG
    DSCN0406.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Happy to report the toolpost is performing admirably- just did a threading job with it rotated around 180, no problems
What a pleasure being able to raise and lower the tool height - no more shims!
-M

So Mark, I assume the upright bolt with the acorn nut is the height adjustment. How is the tool holder attached to the post block?
I see what looks like a box joint. Is this how you would change holders? Or do you have different block/holders for different tools?

Also, how is the post attached to the compound/cross slide?

Really looks nice! I just can't figure out how it works.
Thanks
Aaron

Hi Aaron, the block is two pieces as you noticed, it's fastened together with three #8 flathead screws hiding in the cavity where the tool goes.
The post is threaded at the bottom and screws into the T-nut with a piece of 5/16" X 24 threaded rod. I was going to drill a crosswise hole at
the top of the post for tightening but haven't found the need yet- I used the block itself to screw it down tight and it seems to stay put. I single pointed a piece of stainless last night and it didn't move a millimeter
I hadn't planned to make additional toolholders either, it's fine as is. I might make a dedicated block just for knurling, later, using the same post
-M
Thanks Bear!

Last edited:
Mark
What size is your lathe? Brand?
Aaron

I thought that mine was solid and not moving to start with. Then I noticed that my true depth of cut was way less than it should have been and realized that the post was rotating on the base. I first welded the post to the base and was still getting a small amount of movement. So I welded a tab to the base that fit in the slot. That cured the problem.

Aaron I have two threads on making a norton QCTP. A very long thread on actually making one and a shorter thread summarizing the problems I found through use and how I fixed the problems. The threads are in the machine accessories forum.

Thanks. I'll look for those

Back