A Useful Tip For Noobies And Oldies.

How did you know I work out of my bathtub? :cautious:

I was working on an old drill press when I couldn't find a pin. It was right there on the table one minute and gone the next. I spent 30 min looking to no avail and went to the point of sectioning off areas (like an anthropologist) to search small areas intensely. Another 45 minutes and I was getting mad and in a state of ; "I'm going to fine you no matter if it takes forever"!, so I decided to take a break from talking to myself and come back in an hour and start over with a fresh head.
After the break, I walked into the shop and immediately saw the pin clamped in the small vise. :frown:
An apron can't fix stupid.

I use a large clear plastic bag when disassembling small parts. I haven't lost any yet, Good tip though.

"Billy G"
I also use a large baggy. When I order many small bits and things from MSC they come in very large bags. I staple the center top closed so I have enough room for both hands. Then I do the disassembly and reassembly in the bag. Works great for 1/4" and 3/8" drive ratchets. The pawl detent springs and balls seem to like to go into orbit. Also I use a snap-on detent ball tool to reinstall them.

Managed to keep them together while taking it apart, Then cleaned it all up had all the little bits on the top of the clean table, went to put it back together, and missing a set screw, Looked all over, even went as far as pulling out the sweep magnet and going over the floor, Picked up a gob of swarf that I had missed, cleaning up, but no set screw. Finally opened my drawer to pull out something to measure with so I could go get a new one, There sitting on the bottom of the drawer was my set screw. Some how managed to knock it into the drawer while putting away tools or something.:rolleyes: To bad it does not provide a way to track when your do not pay attention to what you are doing.

me too tom, but its an incentive to clean the crap off the floor. . .

Back