Accidentally bought the wrong taper horizontal mill arbor

ericc

Active User
Registered
I picked up a horizontal mill arbor for fly cutter bits at an estate sale for cheap. It was the first time I've seen one of these. It looked a little larger than MT3, and it turned out to be just a bit larger, but not al the way to MT4. There is no half size, so this must be a BS9 taper. Is there any demand for these things? I am about to just turn it down to MT3 to fit my mill, but maybe that is a waste? It will be years before I spot another horizontal mill arbor.

They make a 4-1/2 Morse taper. But I think that’s the only 1/2 size.
Brown and Sharpe taper tooling is getting harder to find. Someone with an Index mill may be interested as they used B&S tapers
Someone with more experience may offer more info.
Cheers
Martin

there is a MT4-1/2
my SB11 has it in the headstock

if it's between a MT3 and MT4 it's a B&S9

If it is B&S #9, that is fairly common on small vintage mills.

I picked up a horizontal mill arbor for fly cutter bits at an estate sale for cheap. It was the first time I've seen one of these. It looked a little larger than MT3, and it turned out to be just a bit larger, but not al the way to MT4. There is no half size, so this must be a BS9 taper. Is there any demand for these things? I am about to just turn it down to MT3 to fit my mill, but maybe that is a waste? It will be years before I spot another horizontal mill arbor.
I'm looking for a horizontal milling arbor that is 1-1/4" diameter with a B&S #9 taper. They are VERY hard to find.

Gary

I eventually sold mine. It is a strange size, since it is for form tools. This is a good reason to keep a tiny caliper to measure stuff since it looked large. If I ever see one again, I'll remember this thread. They are indeed rare, and the MT3 ones are rarer.

Back