1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Adjusting Nsk Outside Micrometer

Discussion in 'METROLOGY - MEASURE, SETUP & FIT' started by Splat, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Splat

Splat Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    here and there...
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

I have an old 1" NSK micrometer, model AB02, that was my father's. It's in excellent condition but it's off by -0.0025. I have no tooling with it so I don't know how to adjust it. There is a very small hole in the backside of the sleeve. Inside that small hole I can see metal but not slotted or anything, so I guess that's the backside of the sleeve. I'd post pics if I could find my cable for the phone. How can I zero this mic? Thanks.

2. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

Usually you just use a spanner to turn the sleeve to align the zero with the datum, but 0.0025 is a bit more than generally seen. On some mics, and I can't remember if NSK is built this way, the thimble is mounted on a taper, held on by a screw through the friction or ratchet drive. Once you remove the screw you can tap gently on the side and dismount the thimble. Then remount it as close as possible and make the final adjustment with the spanner in the sleeve.

3. francist

francist Canada Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    British Columbia

-Return to Top-

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I suspect my NSK may be newer than the OP's, but for what it's worth here's what my instruction pamphlet says:

-frank

4. Splat

Splat Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    here and there...
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Thank you Frank! I'll check this out tomorrow and let you know. Hope I don't break it!