Advantages of a drum switch over a standard toggle?

When you pull up the Amazon page for the 2PDT switch, there is a 4PDT switch listed at the bottom. Wow! You know, I think I have one of these in my hoarding collection somewhere.

My KO Lee T & C grinder uses a 3PDT switch on it. The motor is only 1/2 HP!

Yeah, $540 something dollars is a lot for something that looks like a bunch of miniature limit switches ganged together and made into a switch. I can get a 8 stage contactor and one toggle switch or push buttons and do the same thing for a third of the price. Might take up some room in the enclosure. Ken

The Drum switch will live for ever
but it cost more

Dave

Last edited:
Yeah, $540 something dollars is a lot for something that looks like a bunch of miniature limit switches ganged together and made into a switch.

Honeywell certainly isn't shy about charging absurd prices for their switches.

New guy here with similar questions.

I bought a 101.27440 Craftsman 12x36 lathe and it came with a drum switch. The "on/off" original switch had been bypassed. The wiring is/was very sketchy and I will be redoing it. 120VAC reversible motor.

Where are folks mounting the drum switch? I want to mount it ON the lathe somewhere, NOT on the bench as I have not determined where I will ultimately place the lathe. The prior owner had the drum switch mounted on his bench, so it had to be disconnected to move the lathe. Currently I am missing some of the guards (I've ordered them) so I am not able to yet figure out a good location.

I am planning on installing a metal junction box on the motor proper. Grounded power cord will go into the junction box, the "on/off" switch will become a switch leg, thinking of having a switched outlet on the junction box (for lamp), then to the drum switch and motor.

I could put a nipple on the junction box and mount the drum switch on it. Any concerns having the drum switch on the back side of the lathe by the motor? I can't imagine that I will be using the reverse feature so much that it needs to be front and center.

Pictures of mounting of a drum switch on an Atlas/Craftsman would be appreciated.

Just two comments......have it within easy reach of the operator. And where you don't have to reach over the machine to use it.

Just two comments......have it within easy reach of the operator. And where you don't have to reach over the machine to use it.

Please take Tony's advice
There are several videos around showing how someone was injured reaching up and over the lathe to reach the switch.

I am going to mount a drum switch on the rear of my lathe just to switch to reverse, the front mounted, magnetic power switch will still power the machine and I have a clutch so the spindle doesn't turn when the motor is powered up.

I made a mount for the drum switch to place it adjacent the QCGB. Still need to bump out the shrinkage from welding, paint it, and wire the lathe. I will be using the original on/off switch as a switch leg for master on/off. It will also switch an outlet that I will add to the motor for plugging in a lamp.

The mount I made does not alter any of the covers and swings nicely when the cover is swung open

Drum switch CAD mount model mockup with switch.jpg

Drum switch CAD mount template.jpg

Drum switch CAD mount template and steel.jpg

Drum switch mount in steel with captive nuts.jpg

Drum switch mounted front view.jpg

Drum switch mounted top view.jpg

Drum switch mounted side view.jpg

Back