• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Untitled 1

As promised, a formal announcement has been made regarding recent changes in the administrative staff here at H-M.

Please take a few moments to go to our home page and review that announcement.

[4]

Am I discarding my cutting discs too quickly?

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ericc

Active User
The guru of anvilfire says that most beginners cheap out on grinding disks by buying the long lasting ones instead of the quick cutting (friable) ones. I saw this happen myself when I was helping another blacksmith radius an anvil made out of a piece of AR armor plate. He was buzzing away for 40 minutes without much progress, and declared the job impossible. I went to the welding store and picked up a premium Walter soft wheel and did the job in 5 minutes. It was better than a factor of 10, because I did more work than he did. I spent $5 for the wheel, but it was money well spent. I gave him the remainder of the wheel, but he said it was a little rich for his blood still. Running a wheel down that much is pretty hilarious, but I suspect that slow grinding at that lower surface speed could waste quite a bit of time.

Ken from ontario

:grin::grin:,I think you are pretty close to the "throw it away" size, I also like Walter brand and zipcut disks are the ones I use the most but when they reach to that size ,it is time to put in a new one.
But you already knew that.

magicniner

I put worn discs like that to one side for when I have a job to grind in a tight space ;-)

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I dont think you are using them enough to throw out.
If cutting a narrow strip from some material theres at least another half inch of use there

menace

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Looks like you got your money's worth out of that one, time for a new one.
While I'm at it does anyone know if Razorwheel discs are still available ? Best I've ever used no BS ! Can't find a supplier for them around here! Thanks.

[6]
[5] [7]