Angle Plate

A

Andre

Forum Guest
Register Today
Made a 90* angle plate from a piece of thick heavy duty angle iron. Found the piece in a friends to the scrapper box.
Started milling on it last night and finished it this afternoon, it ended up very square off the mill, no light between it and a square while on a surface plate, but I'm going to hand scrape it anyway just for kicks.

I won't do into detail about how i made it, as I followed Tom Liptons blog article on him making one.

http://oxtool.blogspot.com/2012/09/squaring-techinques-on-milling-machine.html

photo 1 (29).JPG
photo 2 (30).JPG
photo 3 (23).JPG
photo 4 (20).JPG

photo 5 (18).JPG

Sorry no pics of milling the main faces, but Tom's article explains it and shows how he did it.

Happy machining!

photo 5 (18).JPG photo 1 (29).JPG photo 2 (30).JPG photo 3 (23).JPG photo 4 (20).JPG

Made a 90* angle plate from a piece of thick heavy duty angle iron. Found the piece in a friends to the scrapper box.
Started milling on it last night and finished it this afternoon, it ended up very square off the mill, no light between it and a square while on a surface plate, but I'm going to hand scrape it anyway just for kicks.

I won't do into detail about how i made it, as I followed Tom Liptons blog article on him making one.

http://oxtool.blogspot.com/2012/09/squaring-techinques-on-milling-machine.html

View attachment 84435
View attachment 84436
View attachment 84437
View attachment 84438

View attachment 84434

Sorry no pics of milling the main faces, but Tom's article explains it and shows how he did it.

Happy machining!

Very nice. Glad to see a piece of rough stock turned into a nice tool.

Okay, I've started scraping in the first main face. Have a few more passes to do, moreso to even out the finish than get it flatter. It's at 10 or so PPI, fine for a clamping fixture as it will get warped with use eventually anyhow.

I push scraped for the first 10 or so passes than switched to a pull scraper with a flat (no radius) edge to hopefully get a checkerboard finish. Pictures soon.

Okay, I've started scraping in the first main face. Have a few more passes to do, moreso to even out the finish than get it flatter. It's at 10 or so PPI, fine for a clamping fixture as it will get warped with use eventually anyhow.

I push scraped for the first 10 or so passes than switched to a pull scraper with a flat (no radius) edge to hopefully get a checkerboard finish. Pictures soon.

Standing by. Can't wait to see the pics!

Standing by. Can't wait to see the pics!

Thanks! The two main faces are rough scraped in, and it will get finish scraped now that I can measure squareness. In the meantime it's been on the shelf.....umm....seasoning :biggrin:

That looks great!!! I can't wait to see the rest.

Chris

Thank you! I should have the side I'm working on scraped in today. Two main faces are done, doing the ends now. (all machines surfaces will be scraped to .0005" in squareness)

Scraped in both ends today, will check my work real well once my new plate arrives Thursday..

photo 1 (35).JPGphoto 2 (36).JPGphoto 3 (29).JPG

It's all a half decent checkerboard. Roughed in with the push scraper and finished with the pull scraper.

Scraping this thing is not as easy as I thought, not just scraping flat surfaces, I learned a lot about step scraping and tilting planes will everything is square. So far as best I can measure it's +- .0005. Till I drop it :biggrin:

When the better plate arrives I will redo the two faces, I've gotten better with the pull scraper since I did those a few months ago.

photo 1 (35).JPG photo 2 (36).JPG photo 3 (29).JPG

Nice work! You can get my address, come over the Atlantic-ocean and learn me something about scraping!?

Back