Any Info On Speedway Drill Mill Dtmach34/03989

Dragonheart

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired an old SPEEDWAY DRILL MILL - model #dtmach34/03989 that I understand was originally sold by Homier ion early 2000's. Would anyone have one of these or any information on this old machine like what kind of spindle does it use. It has a 5/8" chuck I would like to increase to 3/4".
Thanks

I have not used one, but knew someone who had one that I saw several times. His was was outfitted with ER40 collets, if I recall correctly. I don't know if that was aftermarket or not, though.

So far the information or mis-information on the internet list the 03989 spindle as being a MT2, which the person I purchased the Speedway from said it was not. Some say it is a MT3, so when I have the time I will dig into it and see if I can figure it out. I had hoped there was someone on this site that had one and knew for sure.

Here's the information I dug up when I unearthed my mill from my parents house, where it sat unused for over a decade.

501e62836d0b527330f30d8dd01ebb2a.jpg

Drill/Mill Machine
Speedway Series (Homier)
DTMACH34-03989

Motor:
3/4 HP, 56 frame, 10.6 A

Lever handles:
M12 x 1.75 mm

Revolving Handles:
M10 x 1.5 mm

Taper:
MT2 taper

Included Stock Arbor:
MT2 to B18 with M10 drawbar thread

Included Stock Drawbar:
M10 x 1.50 mm x 275 mm

Replacement Imperial Drawbar:
3/8"-16 x 10-3/4"

Speed:
390-480-600-780-960-1080-1620-1750-2150-2280-3259-3950

Max. Drilling Capacity:
5/8" (16 mm)

Max. Diameter of Vertical Milling:
1/2" (12 mm)

Max. Width of Face Milling:
1-1/2" (40 mm)

Table slots:
7/16"

Table movement:
9-3/4" x 4-3/8"

I'm using an MT2 ER20 collet chuck with an M10 thread for the drawbar to hold my end mills. I only purchased a 3/8" ER20 collet and 3/8" shaft end mills, so I don't have a lot in tooling right now. I'm wondering if I should have went to ER32 collets....

I'm using an MT2 ER20 collet chuck with an M10 thread for the drawbar to hold my end mills. I only purchased a 3/8" ER20 collet and 3/8" shaft end mills, so I don't have a lot in tooling right now. I'm wondering if I should have went to ER32 collets....

Thank you very much for the information. One of my plastic revolving handles was broken, but I was able to find an all metal replacement on Ebay. They have a slightly larger but better ergonomic grip, so I replaced them all. I think you made the best decision going with the ER20 size, as I have found this really is a better drill press than a mill. Maybe one day soon I will have a shop where I can put a real mill, but so far this old drill/mill is giving me good service in my garage. I don't suppose you would have a manual for the 03989? I have been unable to find one online.

Manual? No I don't. I contacted Homier, they don't have a copy.

I was tramming my drill/mill and I noticed that there's a lot of deflection throwing off the accuracy. Eventually, I'll replace my mill with something better. I'll probably end up keeping this as a really accurate drill. I still want to put a DRO on it.

Manual? No I don't. I contacted Homier, they don't have a copy.

I was tramming my drill/mill and I noticed that there's a lot of deflection throwing off the accuracy. Eventually, I'll replace my mill with something better. I'll probably end up keeping this as a really accurate drill. I still want to put a DRO on it.

I have been using mine mainly as a drill, love the table. I understand several owners filled the column with concrete. They posted it really helped. I can see the added stiffness would be a plus.

Last edited:
Back