Anybody watch Mr Pete on Youtube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what I wish to say here but I will refrain. You win. I will say no more on this. Have a nice day.

"Billy G"

Before you overthink that post, I am siding with nobody. I will remain with an open mind. I came back for machining reasons, not this.

Please provide that link. I'm not really a u-tube fan, but I'll watch a video now and then.

As for the initial topic - what seems like sloppiness or half-a$$edness (yes I made that word up. I can do that.) may just be decades of experience. My grandfather was a carpenter and by the time he retired he had calibrated eyeballs that could tell you if something on the other side of the room was 1/32 or 3/64 longer than it should be. I'd expect someone who's been machining for so long would also develop a "feel" for things that were done day after day and would instinctively know just how much more to nudge this or feed that without breaking out the laser micrometers.

Here is the first in the 4 part series on grinding HSS lathe tools

[video=youtube_share;hrDr4rYLiAk]http://youtu.be/hrDr4rYLiAk[/video]

To the guy who recommended KEF791 (Turn Wright Machine Works), I will second that. Very nicely done videos. He does a lot of really interesting stuff too, like the job he refers to as the "Giant margarita blender". Great stuff.

Never knew would be such an idea.

Great Teacher it seems.

I am glad that I am not the only one hooked on his ways of doing things.

Except maybe one.:rofl:

Enjoy.

Jeff

His series is great. I have watched just about all of em and some a couple of times. His treatise on hand sharpening bits is a great vid. Definately on my subscribed list for you tube.
Bob

I have found his vids helpful because i'm very new to machining and he shows how to do something as if you are the student.
steve

As a newbie, I love what Lyle aka Mr. Pete, aka Tubalcain 2 has done. I am thinking of buying his video set. Hours and hours of his time were devoted to creating a body of work that has helped thousands of us witness over the internet. I don't have a r/t mentor in machining (wish I did), so he is the closest thing to one for me. Is he perfect? No, of course not. But he does show techniques and tips for using the machines that are invaluable. Right on, Mr. Pete!

There is a partial list of his videos on here that I made with his permission (I contacted him myself). I stopped updating it but will get to it one day.
If anyone has the link, please post it here for us again.

Thanks!

:tiphat:Nelson

Wow I feel like I just shot John Wayne!
Frank

John Wayne????? You not only shot John Wayne but also, The Riffleman, Davey Crocket, Daniel Boone, Bill Cosby, Grizzley Adams, Hoss Cartwright, Bugs Bunny, the entire cast of Sesame St., Johnny Carson, Joel Bernstien (Ok you get some points there)

I was a comedian/entertainer for 15 years of my life, all of the so called "Pro's" hated me and my act pointing out all the hackiness (in their opinion) but while they were sitting at my show paying to see me and I'm making a killer living. The guy may not teach things the way you like but he does teach, I "Get" his shortcuts, he's assuming that if your watching a video on tramming a mill you probably know the basics and he skips over them to get to the meat & potatoes. I learned more from magazine articles back before internet days than I did from reading a whole book on the same subject. Why? Because they just gave you the important/essential info because of space restraints, getting right to the point & not boring you or overloading you mind with things that are not all that important to my (thing I already new or had the common sense to figure out).

Obviously you don't need his lessons & that's great, but I do and I know what to disregard in his presentation & what is extremely important. I don't nit pick them I just glean the good info and chalk the rest up to his style. Anyway you look at it he's a good man.

Your entitled to your opinion and I respect that right, but you really came at him guns a blazing. I bet if you made shooting instructional videos and made hundreds of them out of the goodness of your heart & no matter how great they are there would be somebody that comes along and says what kind of ridiculous jerk you are and your methods are gonna get somebody killed.

If you look at this/my posts from all angles you will find I'm not being an A hole just injecting some comedic input, that's my story & I'm sticking to it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thats is enough. Sorry, but the conversation has deteriorated to the point where nothing further will be gained. Gents, lets all abide by the TOS, and I mean it.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back