Anyone have a G0705 mill/drill?

Billh50

RIP 2018
Rest In Peace
I was looking at the Grizzly G0705. Since I can't actually look at one. I figured I would ask the members here who do have one. Is it a decent machine for milling? I have limited space so the size is ok. Would love something like the Clausing 8520 but they are way out of reach price wise.
So tell me what you think of the G0705.

Bill, I have this mill, only maybe an earlier version. Mine is pushing 25 years old, or thereabouts. Iam very happy with this machine. It is plenty heavy duty for most any hobby work and should give you excellent service.

If you are looking at a used machine, pay close attention to the in and out movement of the table (into and away from the column). Sorry always been confused what axis this is... anyway, on my mill, the leadscrew nut comes loose from its mounting position from time to time, and the table jams. This requires weaseling in underneath the table with a socket wrench and tightening the bolt back down. It's also possible the nut becomes worn, causing the jammed condition, requiring a replacement. Grizzly parts and service and supberb.

Second thing, after many years, the belts become frayed and worn. Not a big deal to replace. However Napa Auto Stores carry a good, inexpensive heavy duty lawnmower deck belt replacement that is a lot cheaper than Grizzly and other machine belts. Seems to be the same belt, near as I can tell.

Third thing : Some people don't like the round column. Some say it can throw the head off alignment with to heavy a cut. The end mill grabs into the work and the power of the machine causes the head to twist and embedd the cutter into the work. So, don't take monster cuts climb milling and you will be fine. The round column isn't an issue with my machine.

Anyway, I can heartedly recommend this machine model.

Glenn

I have not had that mill, but I did have an RF30 (functionally similar). I found it was ok. Not great, but ok. The round column is not so much of an issue IMO for milling since the machine really shouldn't be used for heavy load cutting anyway. Where it can be an issue is if you need to use really long tools and really short tools on the same part. Even if you can make the range overlap you will get more flex with the quill fully extended as opposed to fully retracted. Even with modest load cuts. The big problem happens when you have to use a long tool and a short tool or have a part with multiple levels where you have to move the head up and down during what would otherwise be a single setup. There are some tricks, but they all require some readjustment. One of the most often used I have heard of is to mount a laser pointer on the head and make a line on a distant wall you can align it to. Of course this requires that your line and your mill spindle center line are perfectly parallel.

One of the advantages of the round column that often people don't mention is the ability to work on some parts that are longer than its normal work envelope in a single setup without moving the part. Of course you have to be able to rezero to the work piece in both X & Y. (I actually have used the swivel (and sliding) head on my Hurco KMB1 to machine parts longer than its 24" working envelope.) For extreme Z range differences it has a knee so I really don't have an issue.

If you do not have a mill and the price is right its better than not having a mill In my opinion, but I would probably favor the slightly cheaper G0704 if I was paying retail.

bl00,
I think it might be just a bit too big. The only larger machines I have seen that might fit in my garage are the Clausing 8520 and the Rotex that someone posted.

Bill, you might look for a Rockwell, as well as the Clausing.

This Grizzly G3103 may be too much but it should fit in your garage. Looks like an updated version of my Grizzly G1008 which easily fits in my garage. Room to spare even under the I beam.

Grizzly G3103 in Uttica $1800

That G3103 looks nice. Might be about the max I could go for a machine size wise. Not sure I would be able to move it into the garage though. I am going to have to go out and measure the garage tomorrow and see just exactly what I can fit and where. Might have to get rid of some stuff in the garage as well.

The g3103 looks like a smoking deal. The vise looks huge for the size of the mill, but clearly would hold some serious work. You can't beat "new condition". Plus looks like all the basic tooling you would need. For the few extra bucks, better than a new round column G 0705. I don't think these mills are as tall as a Bridgeport.

Glenn

Back