Anyone in the Dallas area with a surface grinder who wants a small job

737mechanic

Registered
Registered
I have a Palmgren milling vise that I need the ways ground parallel to the bottom. The vise is new but it is not true with the bottom. The vise is 17 in long. I am east of Dallas if interested email me at mechanic737@hotmail.com.

I'm just a hobbyist who happens to have a surface grinder. I have done a bit of grinding. To me, grinding a vice of that size would not be a small job. I would want to have flood coolant to even attempt it. Just my thoughts.

I figured small job because it is already ground flat just not completely true so there shouldn't be any complex setup. Should be able to set it on the mag chuck and sweep until the minimum is taken off until true. Other than watching a few video's on how a surface grinder works I know nothing about them so maybe it is a bigger pain than I figure.

I figured any surface grinder that is big enough to accommodate this vise would have flood coolant but then again I don't know.

You're probably right in assuming that a large grinder would have flood coolant. I have a 618 which in an industrial setting would have flood coolant, but it was such a mess for me that it just isn't practical. I don't use it that much so I just use a mister when necessary. Good luck with your vise.

Back