Armstrong No1 Knurling tool

Rick Berk

Active User
Registered
About October I bought a lot of junk at an estate auction and have been going thru it, I found this in the bottom of one of the boxes and do not know what it is or where to use it, it has two wheels like a knurling tool but the wheels are rounded over and smooth like to make a negative groove in tubing for an O ring possibly. As old as this junk I got is it could be war production tooling? Thanks for looking

knurling tool.jpg

Possibly it was modified for some type of metal spinning operation.

Makes me think of how one makes the groove on the end of a pipe to take a Victaulic sprinkler fitting. Except on a miniature scale!

Trying to think of an application where you'd use something like that, hmmm....

-frank

Might be an early Victaulic system pipe prep tool. The grooves are either cut, or on thinner wall tubing, roll formed.

Edit: Good thought, fransist. We were typing at the same time

It could be used as a roller support too, like a steady or follow rest.

Last edited:
Thanks to all that responded, guess I'll throw it in the bottom of my box of junk until something comes up I need a ?

My guess is that it is for burnishing.
If you don't want to burnish, then changing out the knurls is a good option.
Save the existing wheels. You may wish you had them back....

Daryl
MN

Thanks 4gsr, guess i'll look at buying some new knurl wheels, I literally skipped that thought as I have several already.
Ugly dog would you explain how to use this for burnishing? I have burnished wood on the lathe with hard rock maple with outstanding results but know nothing about burnishing metal with this tool. Thanks.

Back