At the crossroads of South bend and Import lathes

newman

Registered
Registered
Hi All. Newbie here and a long time lurker. I have had an interest in lathes for sometime now and have accumulated 2 south bend 9A lathes. Both are not without issues, and that is not even getting into back lash and tolerance issues. They both need at least cleaning and new wicks. One is missing this part and the other has a broken that part. So my question to the people who have knowledge in this area: Should I save myself the time of redoing these lathe (do enjoy this part of it, love the old iron) and sell them both and buy a lathe from say Grizzley or somone else? I am a basic, very new hobbyist, probably never do any precision work and wonder if I should just be making chips instead of cleaning and painting. Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks Rick

Well, buying a new lathe would certainly get you into the "now" part of the hobby, but for some that's not necessarily the best part of the hobby. For some the cleaning and painting, the seeing of potential and trying to reach it, the challenge of bringing something not just "to" life but "back to life" is the most enjoyable part. And that's ok.

I look around this forum and see some truly stunning work being produced by guys that have way more skills and talent than I ever will. And way more ideas too -- you need the great ideas in order to make those wonderful things in the first place. Me, I'm a copier. It's very un-glamorous and largely un-inspiring. But I'm really, really good at it!

Your question is one that I suspect many of us ask ourselves. I look around and see what seems like "everyone" buying a new lathe or a new mill. Maybe I should too and then I can just get on with it. But get on with what? Maybe I'm already getting on with what I'm supposed to be getting on with -- that's ok, right?

It's totally ok. Who says you're supposed to be doing something else, and what do they know anyways! If you want to make chips right now then buy yourself a new lathe and make stuff. But if you're still hankering after the idea of fixing up those old Southbends and seeing if they'll work, then go for it. It's your hobby, nobody else's.

-frank

I see it as six of one, half a dozen of the other. Old American lathes often need considerable work to make them correct. New Chinese lathes often need work to make them correct. Price and whatever makes you happiest in the end, I guess is my answer.

If I had no lathe and was planning to buy one, then I would be asking the question whether to go with an old southbend or a new import.

But if I had two southbends sitting in my garage there would be no question to ask.

My plan would be to get one of them running using parts from the other (where possible) and then use the running one to make up the missing parts so you have 2 good lathes. Then sell one (or not). It would be a great first project.

I agree with Strantor, make one good one out of the two. Hell, even a beat to sh** South Bend can still make good parts. Just adjust your technique a little. And are you making NASA parts or what? Plus the 9A has power cross feed. No brainer for me- keep the SBs. I'd put a variable speed motor on it though if it was mine.
Mark S.
ps South Bend is a great lathe to learn on- you'll be spoiled for anything else. Most every school shop in the country had 'em, once upon a time.

Last edited:
I agree with Strantor, make one good one out of the two. Hell, even a beat to sh** South Bend can still make good parts. Just adjust your technique a little. And are you making NASA parts or what? Plus the 9A has power cross feed. No brainer for me- keep the SBs. I'd put a variable speed motor on it though if it was mine.
Mark S.
ps South Bend is a great lathe to learn on- you'll be spoiled for anything else. Most every school shop in the country had 'em, once upon a time.
I rebuilt an early 60s South Bend 13 a few years back and the knowledge gained during that project was well worth the effort. Nothing will educate you more on the inner workings of your machine than taking it down to the last bolt.

Once you reassemble your machine from a pile of components and start making good parts nothing can describe that feeling of accomplishment.

Britt Bettell

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk.

The South Bends are known quantities and parts can be found, though nor always easy or inexpensively. Buying a new, offshore made machine is like buying a used car...it may be a steal, or it may be a clunker, unless you are buying big iron.

Hi, Newman. I just finished with my first restoration of a 1937 SB 9a and I can say without hesitation, I'd do it all over again! I am a Hobby Woodworker and got into the hobby mostly for woodturning bowls. I bought an old Craftsman scroll saw made by King-Sealy and that started me down the slippery slope. I now have a 1957 Delta Unisaw, 1941 Delta Jointer, 1962 Rockwell/Delta Bandsaw and a 1968 Rockwell 105 Deluxe Radial arm saw. I jumped on a chance to buy the SB, for the love of restoring these old American made machines not because they are cheaper in price than the ones made offshore, but because they were produced to a higher standard. I would suggest to restore one using the parts from both and sell the other to help off-set your costs. Either way, you'll learn so much more of your machine by tearing it down and cleaning and re-assembling, than by just reading about it. Tim

Thanks to all for the input. I do enjoy the process of learning the in and outs of the old pieces of machinery. I was leaning toward getting one up and running and then looking to complete the other and sell it to further go down the rabbit hole of metal working. Seems as thou many of you believe in trying to keep these old machines going and that was just what I needed to keep me going. Thanks

I say go with what you have right now. I think sometimes we see others make these amazing things and then start thinking that we can't do X because we don't own Y. My first lathe, which is my current lathe had/has a broken bracket on the head stock. I worked the problem until I got a fix. Is it pretty, nope but it works.
I know the feeling of wishing it was done, but try to let every challenge be a learning opportunity. I agree with others, a complete teardown let's you fully understand how your machine functions. Plus, that feeling of accomplishment is huge when you see your shiny cleaned up machine.

Either way, best of luck in all that you do.

Back