Atlas 618 Mods Thread

interesting, I didn't know that these lathes had way wipers as an option, I'm pretty sure these are a later addition. The carriage hand wheel and half nut lever both had oil holes, but the carriage wheel one at least was always getting chips in and was a fiddle to oil. For $2 each I figured it wasn't much of an effort to add the oilers, plus it gave me the excuse to take out some shims so that the carriage didn't lift :)

They didn't. And neither did the 9" or the 10" up to the 10F. I thought that you had added them. Now that I think back, it was someone else that I did the wiper retainer sketch for. I think that he had a 101.07301. Whomever made the retainers for your machine (nice job, BTW) didn't drill the holes. As you have already added the oil cups, there's probably no reason to add the holes to the retainers.

ah right. some previous owner did them, either with some performed brass or a die and a press. the ones i did for the tailstock are far more amateur :)

Just a suggestion, On your tach picture, the two wires hanging on the wall, I'd give them a wrap of Electrical tape, or perhaps some shrink wrap. You never know when a wild piece of swarf will settle on there.

Thanks Tom, it's an old pic - someone else gave me the same advice and I wrapped them soon after I finished the install :)

made a little bit of progress. I've been chasing down vibration issues for a while, which lead me to replace the spindle pulley bushings. that helped a bit, but not completely, plus I knew that the countershaft bushings were badly worn.

So, bought the right ones in one of Enco's sales, pressed out the old ones, gave the countershaft bracket a lick of paint, then pressed the new ones in. They didn't line up. Turns out that, among many other things on this lathe, the countershaft bracket (bit that holds the shaft and pulley) had been broken in multiple places and welded/ brazed back together. Unfortunately, whoever did it didn't maintain the alignment between the 2 bores. Some creative work with an expansion reamer going at a slight angle managed to make them line up so I could get a 1/2in shaft to fit. It's not perfect, but there's no play. Also added GITS oilers :) Each side has 2 bushings, so there's a reservoir in between for oil that's fed by the GITS oiler.

Mounted everything up temporarily and most of the rest of the vibration is gone. Now I need to turn up a hub so I can use the original multi-V flywheel on the treadmill motor and multi-V pulley on the countershaft.

It's nice to finally find some time in the shop :)

IMG_4773.JPG IMG_4774.JPG

finished the countershaft mod with the poly-V pulley
IMG_4793.JPG IMG_4794.JPG IMG_4795.JPG

Bit of fiddle farting around, but it works really nicely and I think has reduced vibration to as low as I can get it without balancing the motor. Big benefit is that it has dropped the speed range down to ~25-140rpm in back gear and ~250-1000rpm direct drive in the smallest countershaft pulley, so now I can do more turning in direct drive without having to resort to back gear so much. Also gives me a super low speed for large stuff or threading if I need it.

Back