Atlas Horizontal mill

Then one must maintain a selection of keys in various lengths to match the thickness of the cutter hubs.
How would one secure a slotting cutter in the arbor? a 1/4" square key only a few 32nds to match a thin slotting cutter would shear. I'm figuring a pair of spacers that are broached, one on each side of the cutter so a decent length of key can be used. But those spacers will need to be larger OD than the standard to accommodate the keyway. Yes?

Spiral_Chips

The thin slotting or cutting blades don't need a key; they are simply sandwiched between the spacers and held by friction. For the wider cutters, yes, I have a selection of different length keys that I use. One 12" length of key stock will make more than you need.

Last edited:
Thank you, Vince!

Next item I am struggling with: Kickout M1-64. There are two currently available on Ebay, both are priced outside my budget. There is a file in the downloads showing how one machinist made one from a brass bolt. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/make-a-kickout-jpg.2255/download?version=2255
The drawings and dimensions are not clear in the pdf. Does anyone know from what magazine/issue this was copied? I'd like to see if I find a copy at a local library.

I think Rudy Kouhoupt wrote an article on making one in an old issue of The Home Shop Machinist. I don't recall the exact issue though.

You could also call Clausing and get the factory drawing as the author said that he did.

Last time I checked there were 9,873 items on it.

Back