Atlas horizontal Mill

Earl

Active User
Registered
Just wondering if anyone else here has an Atlas Horizontal Mill? I recently acquired an Atlas MHC. It was completely restored a few years ago and has seen almost no use since then. It looks almost new. It has an original vise (3 1/8 inch) and a significant number of cutters, a few end mills, end mill holders, 2 arbors, over arm support, knock out bar, a large assortment of clamps, etc. I plan on acquiring an original Atlas rotary table (4 inch I believe), indexer, a small chuck (1 x 10 thread) and any other original parts that I can find. This will probably take a few years to find all the stuff. In the mean time, I am wondering what accessories that other Atlas Mill owners are using.

I have a small dividing head (Enco) that will just barely fit on the small table and intend to use that to cut some small (1-2 inch) gears. An original Atlas indexer will probably cost more than the mill but I would like to complete the setup.

Earl

they are a nice small machines that would fit very well in my little shop, I have never used one or even been around one being used. but they do interest me.
post some pics if you can
steve

you know what we say here . " With out pics it never happend "

shoppix011.jpg

shoppix010.jpg

This is my Atlas Horizontal Mill. I haven't used it much and would like comments about the strengths of the small horizontal mill. I also own a Bridgeport J1 that I am rebuilding.

Jim

shoppix011.jpg shoppix010.jpg

You can just see my Atlas at the left in this pic. I got it maybe 15 years ago at a highschool surplus auction. I rebuilt it at that time, and have been using it occasionally ever since. Not for heavy stuff, but a pretty useful machine.

http://bullfire.net/Shop/IMG_0719.JPG

Nice looking mill Ed and I am crazy about that stand under yours Modela.

Phil,

The stand looks like an original Atlas stand for one of the short bed lathes, maybe a 24".

Robert

Hi Robert -

Yes. Standard issue Atlas. I just really like the way they look. I saw one for sale somehere online earlier this week that said it had been under an Atlas shaper. I don't recall the specifics as it was too expensive and too far.

Phil

The stand under the South Bend 10K ("Light 10") came with it when I bought it from the local University machine shop. I assume it was original, since I've seen many pictures of older South Bends with identical or similar stands.

Ed

Hi Robert -

Yes. Standard issue Atlas. I just really like the way they look. I saw one for sale somehere online earlier this week that said it had been under an Atlas shaper. I don't recall the specifics as it was too expensive and too far.

Phil

That stand was a stock catalog item for use with the shaper, mill or 618 lathe.

Here is one under my shaper
IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

Back