Atlas horizontal Mill

I just finished the rebuild on mine that I acquired 4 weeks ago. It came with the original vise, small rotary table and what I think is the original tiny indexer and 4 plates. Lots of end mills and cutters for the horizontal but I did buy a 1" arbor since 90% of my cutters had a 1" bore. It also has a unique vertical head that is a dream to use. Just some wiring issues to work out then the chips will fly!
Mill Complete 005 (Custom).jpg
Mill Complete 004 (Custom).jpg
Mill Complete 003 (Custom).jpg
Mill Complete 002 (Custom).jpg
Mill Complete 001 (Custom).jpg

Mill Complete 001 (Custom).jpg Mill Complete 002 (Custom).jpg Mill Complete 003 (Custom).jpg Mill Complete 004 (Custom).jpg Mill Complete 005 (Custom).jpg

Hi Gramps -

Beautiful restoration job on that mill! You may already be aware but if you are thinking of wiring the switch in the original location, Clausing still sells the switch plates inexpensively.

Phil

Hi Gramps -

Beautiful restoration job on that mill! You may already be aware but if you are thinking of wiring the switch in the original location, Clausing still sells the switch plates inexpensively.

Phil

Thanks for the compliment Phil. I have a new switch and plate but I am planning on using the original location and screw holes to mount an electrical box with a combination receptacle and switch so I can plug in the vertical head when using it or the light which isn't mounted in the photos. I'm still toying with what I want so currently extension cords provide power!! This is a nice little machine for the hobbyist and with the vertical spindle I have quite a bit of flexibility.

WOW,

I have not seen the verticle setup before. I wish I could find one for mine. When I got mine someone
made a 90 deg aluminum geared setup that mounts on the support post and drives from the horizontal
spindle. I don't think it has enough mass as it don't work very well. It will chatter with even a small
2 flute end mill. I can just get by with a small 4 flute. I am new here and need to get a camera. I have
some interisting stuff to share.

Rick

WOW,

I have not seen the verticle setup before. I wish I could find one for mine. When I got mine someone
made a 90 deg aluminum geared setup that mounts on the support post and drives from the horizontal
spindle. I don't think it has enough mass as it don't work very well. It will chatter with even a small
2 flute end mill. I can just get by with a small 4 flute. I am new here and need to get a camera. I have
some interisting stuff to share.

Rick

The elderly man that owned this was a toolmaker and made all the mounting hardware, pulleys etc. I have no idea where the spindle came from but it has an old Clarkson Autolock Type "C" collet for end mill holding. There is even a power feed setup for the vertical spindle which I didn't install because I never plan to use it. The potential to wreck some very hard to find Atlas mill parts is too great. I can do a lot of hand cranking rather that smashing things up! The nice thing about this unit is it has its own motor so I'm not wearing out the Atlas drive system when vertical milling which in my opinion is a big plus compared to many other units.

I have been there done that too. Here is my Atlas that I restored a few years ago. I still have a few small tweaks to make here and there, but overall I am quite pleased. The vertical attachment takes #2 Morse taper collets. I do enjoy the machine quite a bit and have never regretted buying it. I also have all the horizontal stuff to use it configured that way as well. I really admire that other vertical conversion a few posts back, much more clever than mine. That one has so much more clearance to actually get some work done. I might have to make some modifications to mine based on that!

100_0026.jpg
100_0027.jpg

if that were anywhere close
I'd be in the truck already

Back