Atlas horizontal Mill

I'm finishing up the restoration of one of these. The motor is fitted with a single belt pulley and I want to get the right sized step pulley mounted. I can't find any info on this. Could somebody who owns one with the correct step pulley measure it and post it up? Thanks

The outside diameter of the large step lip is right at 4 1/2 inches. The outside diameter of the small step lip is right at 2 inches.

Hope that helps,

Earl

HalcyonDaze,

Depending upon your motor shaft diameter, the pulley is either a 9-428 (1/2" bore) or a 10-428 (5/8" bore). The same pulley is used on the Atlas (and Craftsman) 10" and 12" lathes. If you are looking for an original, you'll probably have better luck checking the lathe ads than the mill ones. I'm pretty sure that you can still buy the 5/8" bore one from Clausing, although I don't know the price.

If you end up having to make one, in the Yahoo atlas_craftsman and atlas_craftsman_projects Files sections you'll find some information on pulley making and a drawing for making a 10-428. According to that drawing, the two diameters are 4.390" and 1.930". I think that the drawing was reverse-engineered so all of the dimensions may not be exactly the same as those on the Atlas 10-428 drawing. If you need the drawing, its on the _projects list under Drawings, Atlas or Atlas-Craftsman Machine Parts. If you can't get to it, let me know. The pulley making info is on the main list.

Robert D.

That's some good information right there, Robert. I'll check for an original first, if I can't find one I may have to take you up on that offer. I'm not a member of the Yahoo group (though I've heard a lot of good things about it). Thanks for the help!

Now off to fleabay...

I have recently purchased one of these fine machines,it was a steal at 200$. I was wondering if anyone can give me some information about the kind of vise they are using on there atlas mill.The one I bought didnt have a vise with it.

I just purchased a Grizzly GO727 not to long ago I was so happy with it I sold my Atlas mill that needed a lot of work. After seeing some of the nice modifications I wish I would have kept it and restored it for something to do over the winter. Ray

It definitely WAS a steal even without the vise but an original like I have will probably cost you as much as the mill if you find one. I've seen a couple come up recently on Ebay. Keep an eye there.

Mike from Canada

I have recently purchased one of these fine machines,it was a steal at 200$. I was wondering if anyone can give me some information about the kind of vise they are using on there atlas mill.The one I bought didnt have a vise with it.

O started out with an Atlas mill. I recommend that you definitely rig up some kind of support for the outboard end of the arbor. The originals had one. It secured around the shaft of the "Y" handle feed,and connected to the overhead arm. It has to be height adjustable. This would greatly help the jumping and grabbing that happens with these small mills.

Do you think the jumping and grabbing is the arbor moving or the table moving up and down on the screw? There really are a couple of causes for the movement but at the moment I find if I use the travel locks in the two directions not needed to cut, the vibration is greatly reduced.

O started out with an Atlas mill. I recommend that you definitely rig up some kind of support for the outboard end of the arbor. The originals had one. It secured around the shaft of the "Y" handle feed,and connected to the overhead arm. It has to be height adjustable. This would greatly help the jumping and grabbing that happens with these small mills.

Back