1. We have switched to XenForo forum software. If you are having trouble accessing the site, please email support@hobby-machinist.com and we will get you fixed up ASAP!

Atlas modifications

Discussion in 'ATLAS & CRAFTSMAN MACHINES' started by iron man, Feb 8, 2013.

1. iron man

iron man Active Members Active Member

City:
    Mason
    State:
    Iowa
    Hi I am new to the forum I have made some modifications to my 10 inch atlas lathe I thought I might start a new thread. Here it a picture of the new crossfeed screw mount it has double bearing's the nut on the end sets the pre load and the dial is a direct read dial that floats freely. The stock one use's the dial for preload and tightens up under load. The new mount tightens up with a spanner wrench under the dial.. Ray 100_0352.JPG

2. iron man

City:
    Mason
    State:
    Iowa
    This is a picture of the acme tap I made to tap a new crossfeed nut crude but it works well. I made the nut twice as long as stock with wear adjustment I also made a shouldered bolt to secure it so I can quickly remove it for a taper attachment I will build next. I have zero back lash now... Ray 100_0353.JPG

3. iron man

City:
    Mason
    State:
    Iowa
    My next project will be a taper attachment and I will also dis-assemble the cross feed to get better pictures for those who are interested. It really mad a big differance in the lathe I also scraped the cross feed dove tail with a 60 degree carbide cutter to make it nice and straight again. Ray

4. oldgoaly

oldgoaly Active Members Active Member

City:
    Shiloh
    State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for posting something I will need to do in the future, I too need to add a taper attachment to my 12" Craftsman, I have most of one, think it is just missing a mount. Welcome to the forum!

5. GaryK

GaryK In Memory Supporter

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas
    Back when I first got my Atlas (About 20 years go) I realized real quick that I hated the small dial and it working in "Radius mode".
    So I made a large dial and doubled the graduations giving me 200 per rev. Thia means I moved .001" the diameter decreased .001"

It was the best improvement I ever did on that lathe.

Gary

IMG_0134 (Large).JPG

6. iron man

City:
    Mason
    State:
    Iowa
    That is one nice dial I hope to start making my own soon. The dial that is on mine now is a 200 that I bought from Tallgrass tools it is 1/1/2" Dia. I just installed a 1/1/2 dial from a southbend onto the compound until I can make a new one. I just made a carriage stop it turned out nice and so did the dial I will post a picture soon.. Ray

7. iron man

City:
    Mason
    State:
    Iowa
    100_0359.JPG
    Here is my carriage stop I just finished this is also my first attempt at making the dial so be nice I put a lock on it so I would not accidently bump it and turn the dial.. Ray

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  8. iron man

City:
    Mason
    State:
    Iowa
    100_0360.JPG

Just a side shot I hate to admit this but I did not have a cutter to cut a radius and being the kind of person that cannot wait I grabbed a carbide cutter from my router put it in a 1/4" R8 collet stuck it in the mill and cut the radius all joking aside it worked pretty good. Ray

9. wa5cab

wa5cab Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter

City:
    Houston
    State:
    Texas
    Ray,

That lock is a good idea. Don't know why I never thought of it. I'm going to mod my factory stop for one.

Robert D.

10. cbtrek

cbtrek Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Mason CIty
    State:
    Iowa
    Ray,
    Very nice improvements to a older machine. I shows you can improve a older design to make parts more accurate and faster!

Great job.

Craig

11. Old Iron

Old Iron Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Andalusia
    State:
    Alabama
    Really nice job on the mods.

Paul

12. Kroll

Kroll Active Members Supporter Active Member

City:
    Porter
    State:
    Texas
    Dang those looks good guys,alot better than what a factory setting would do and looks classie.But how did ya'll do your graduation marks and numbers so perfectly?If you have pics and feel like posting cause I would like to make me a carriage stop that looks that good.Been looking at them on ebay and upper 30-50 price range,seeing ya'll I now want to make one.
    Thats one of those section I was was here is a tutorial section for talented people could post pics and explain the how to's and don't.Admiring the fantastic work---kroll

13. kd4gij

kd4gij Active Members Active Member

City:
    St. Petersburg
    State:
    Florida
    Kroll
    We do have a section for projects like this. It is called Articles and is at the top of the page. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/content.php/257-articles_1?tabid=8

Marty

14. ML_Woy

ML_Woy Active Members Active Member

City:
    West Sacramento
    State:
    California
    Ray:

Thanks for mentioning Talgrass Tools, I went to their web site after reading your post and purchased there mods for the corssfeed and compound. Great tips from this Forum.

M.L.Woy

15. shoeboxpaul

shoeboxpaul Active Members Active Member

City:
    New Freedom
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Being a relative newbie, I agree with Kroll and would like to know how to put graduation marks and numbers into a dial. I tried searching the Articles and came up empty. Talgrass products are nice. Making your own is so satisfying. How about a link to an article or website if anyone has one handy?
    Thanks everyone,
    Paul

16. iron man

City:
    Mason
    State:
    Iowa
  17. pdentrem

pdentrem Active Members Active Member

City:
    Niagara Region South
    State:
    Ontario
  18. shoeboxpaul

shoeboxpaul Active Members Active Member

City:
    New Freedom
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you!

19. ML_Woy

ML_Woy Active Members Active Member

City:
    West Sacramento
    State:
    California
    Craftsman / Atlas published a manual with their laths, similar to the one Southbend supplied with their machines. I believe the Southbend one is stored here on the site somewhere. If you go to the Atlas Craftsman forum on Yahoo you can find the Atlas/ Craftsman manuals, and they are available as reprints on E-bay.

20. pdentrem

pdentrem Active Members Active Member

City:
    Niagara Region South
    State:
    Ontario
    The current Atlas manual is still available from Clausings for the same price as the used ones on the auctions sites. Parts are available as well but not everything.

Pierre