Atlas modifications

Dang those looks good guys,alot better than what a factory setting would do and looks classie.But how did ya'll do your graduation marks and numbers so perfectly?If you have pics and feel like posting cause I would like to make me a carriage stop that looks that good.Been looking at them on ebay and upper 30-50 price range,seeing ya'll I now want to make one.
Thats one of those section I was was here is a tutorial section for talented people could post pics and explain the how to's and don't.Admiring the fantastic work---kroll

Dang those looks good guys,alot better than what a factory setting would do and looks classie.But how did ya'll do your graduation marks and numbers so perfectly?If you have pics and feel like posting cause I would like to make me a carriage stop that looks that good.Been looking at them on ebay and upper 30-50 price range,seeing ya'll I now want to make one.
Thats one of those section I was was here is a tutorial section for talented people could post pics and explain the how to's and don't.Admiring the fantastic work---kroll

Kroll
We do have a section for projects like this. It is called Articles and is at the top of the page. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/content.php/257-articles_1?tabid=8

Marty

That is one nice dial I hope to start making my own soon. The dial that is on mine now is a 200 that I bought from Tallgrass tools it is 1/1/2" Dia. I just installed a 1/1/2 dial from a southbend onto the compound until I can make a new one. I just made a carriage stop it turned out nice and so did the dial I will post a picture soon.. Ray

Ray:

Thanks for mentioning Talgrass Tools, I went to their web site after reading your post and purchased there mods for the corssfeed and compound. Great tips from this Forum.

M.L.Woy

Being a relative newbie, I agree with Kroll and would like to know how to put graduation marks and numbers into a dial. I tried searching the Articles and came up empty. Talgrass products are nice. Making your own is so satisfying. How about a link to an article or website if anyone has one handy?
Thanks everyone,
Paul

:thumbsup: Thanks... I'm glad to see these are well respected, after having stumbled on them while surfing for info on a good starter lathe for a noob (I'm 47, retired from the Army, and teaching now, but I'm def. a rookie here). Does the Atlas/Craftsman have a Primer similar to the total shop series that deals with the peculiarity of Atlas machines?

Craftsman / Atlas published a manual with their laths, similar to the one Southbend supplied with their machines. I believe the Southbend one is stored here on the site somewhere. If you go to the Atlas Craftsman forum on Yahoo you can find the Atlas/ Craftsman manuals, and they are available as reprints on E-bay.

The current Atlas manual is still available from Clausings for the same price as the used ones on the auctions sites. Parts are available as well but not everything.

Pierre

Back