Atlas modifications

I built a speed reducer for my atlas 42b drill press. I wasn't sure about using the shoulder bolt for the handle so I didn't drill and thread it all the way yet. It's a camlock design and everything was done on the lathe and drill press, including facing off the block. It's a prototype and a second version is on the design table.

Ajax-20130605-00432.jpg

Ajax-20130605-00431.jpg

[video=youtube;QfhyXh0RgFc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfhyXh0RgFc[/video]

Schor,

Your speed reducer looks similar to the ones that Atlas offered as accessories. I have a similar one on my Enco but never thought of its purpose being for speed reduction per se. Without it, you would only have four speeds. Like an Atlas 10A lathe (no countershaft).

JamesJinks,

The name of the Atlas manual is Manual of Lathe Operations (MOLO or MoLO for short). Originally, both Atlas and Sears supplied one with each lathe, plus either a parts manual or an Owners manual which included the parts manual. If you have or acquire a machine made about 1958 or later, the current edition still supplied by Clausing will have photos mostly of your machine. There were only about three small changes made after 1958. If your machine is a 10" or earlier 12", I would personally get an edition from 1955 or earlier, although all of the photos seem to be of the 10"and not the early 12". Even if the front cover says "Craftsman".

The reason that you won't find a PDF copy of the MoLO on this site or on the Yahoo ones is that it is still in print and hence still technically copyrighted. Unlike apparently the similar book that used to be printed by South Bend. However, you will find parts lists or Owner's manuals for many of the Atlas or Craftsman lathes (and many other makes) in this site's Downloads section. And as someone else wrote, there are more on Yahoo.

Robert D.

Schor,

Your speed reducer looks similar to the ones that Atlas offered as accessories. I have a similar one on my Enco but never thought of its purpose being for speed reduction per se. Without it, you would only have four speeds. Like an Atlas 10A lathe (no countershaft).

Robert D.

I think the atlas one is a split piece that spreads in the column as you turn a bolt. Mine is a camlock design with a handle so its easy to adjust and remove.

The lowest speed was 420rpm which is fine for woodworking but I want to do some larger holes in metal and need to get lower speeds. I can get down to 104rpm now with the additional pulley, I can also get to 27,600 rpm if my calculations are correct. But I would never dare to do that.

Schor,

You could be right about the Atlas one being split. The catalogs don't show any details.

Robert D.

100_0467.JPG

Some time back a friend of mine found this brand new motor in a dumpster it had been dropped and bent the shaft. I took it apart cut off the bent shaft protected the windings and welded and machined a new stub shaft. There is nothing better than variable speed. It has tons of torque and is 2.5 horse.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0469.JPG

Here is the variable speed pot and the emergency shut off.

100_0467.JPG 100_0469.JPG

Back