Atlas modifications

iron man

Active User
Registered
Hi I am new to the forum I have made some modifications to my 10 inch atlas lathe I thought I might start a new thread. Here it a picture of the new crossfeed screw mount it has double bearing's the nut on the end sets the pre load and the dial is a direct read dial that floats freely. The stock one use's the dial for preload and tightens up under load. The new mount tightens up with a spanner wrench under the dial.. Ray100_0352.JPG

100_0352.JPG

This is a picture of the acme tap I made to tap a new crossfeed nut crude but it works well. I made the nut twice as long as stock with wear adjustment I also made a shouldered bolt to secure it so I can quickly remove it for a taper attachment I will build next. I have zero back lash now... Ray100_0353.JPG

100_0353.JPG

My next project will be a taper attachment and I will also dis-assemble the cross feed to get better pictures for those who are interested. It really mad a big differance in the lathe I also scraped the cross feed dove tail with a 60 degree carbide cutter to make it nice and straight again. Ray

Thanks for posting something I will need to do in the future, I too need to add a taper attachment to my 12" Craftsman, I have most of one, think it is just missing a mount. Welcome to the forum!

Hi I am new to the forum I have made some modifications to my 10 inch atlas lathe I thought I might start a new thread. Here it a picture of the new crossfeed screw mount it has double bearing's the nut on the end sets the pre load and the dial is a direct read dial that floats freely. The stock one use's the dial for preload and tightens up under load. The new mount tightens up with a spanner wrench under the dial.. RayView attachment 46970

Back when I first got my Atlas (About 20 years go) I realized real quick that I hated the small dial and it working in "Radius mode".
So I made a large dial and doubled the graduations giving me 200 per rev. Thia means I moved .001" the diameter decreased .001"

It was the best improvement I ever did on that lathe.

Gary

IMG_0134 (Large).JPG

IMG_0134 (Large).JPG

That is one nice dial I hope to start making my own soon. The dial that is on mine now is a 200 that I bought from Tallgrass tools it is 1/1/2" Dia. I just installed a 1/1/2 dial from a southbend onto the compound until I can make a new one. I just made a carriage stop it turned out nice and so did the dial I will post a picture soon.. Ray

100_0359.JPG
Here is my carriage stop I just finished this is also my first attempt at making the dial so be nice I put a lock on it so I would not accidently bump it and turn the dial.. Ray

100_0359.JPG

Last edited:
100_0360.JPG

Just a side shot I hate to admit this but I did not have a cutter to cut a radius and being the kind of person that cannot wait I grabbed a carbide cutter from my router put it in a 1/4" R8 collet stuck it in the mill and cut the radius all joking aside it worked pretty good. Ray

100_0360.JPG

Ray,

That lock is a good idea. Don't know why I never thought of it. I'm going to mod my factory stop for one.

Robert D.

Ray,
Very nice improvements to a older machine. I shows you can improve a older design to make parts more accurate and faster!

Great job.

Craig

Back