B-port clone rebuild

$700.... American! Before shipping... that's how far I'd be to get a working quill power feed.. eff me...

So... can guarantee that won't happen. Next best hope is to cut a key slot in what's left of the clutch worm gear to key it into the fine feed shaft. So I can at least use the fine feed handle. I think that's a must... otherwise, I can kiss any good accuracy goodbye, even with a dro.

Super fun wow!
Next I'll take the j-head body off and get it all cleaned up and painted. Then start working on the column.

With all the members we have , why don't we have our own network of machinist who make different parts for the machines we use . Gears , shafts , tig welding.Many have talents for differing things and machines. After all we all or most of us just can't afford the cost of factory parts new for a machine 85 years old.

I suppose if it were that expensive to buy the parts, I could probably buy a dividing head and some teeth cutting saws, make my own and likely still be ahead of $1000 it would likely cost me in CAD $.
And I'd learn real quick how to make gears.
Christmas IS coming... The mill will run fine without the quill power feed for the time being...

There was a dividing head for sale locally last year for dirt cheap and I dragged my feet on it, stupid stupid stupid!

Curious... Can gears be cut with a spin index....?

-- have a look at xynudu's thing on gear cutting... He doesn't use an indexing head, but uses a paper pattern easily printed from his friend's website.... have a look at all his gear cutting videos for neat ideas...

try viewing this first:

I've seen the paper idea before. Definitely an option.

It appears someone replaced the very expensive spindle bearings with just regular 6206ze bearings....

Jesus Christ, I'm starting to think I got hosed...

It appears someone replaced the very expensive spindle bearings with just regular 6206ze bearings....

Jesus Christ, I'm starting to think I got hosed...

It all depends on what you paid for the machine. If you got a really good deal, well then these things can be expected. If you didn't..........................well yeah, you are coming up on the short end. We have all been there. The thing now is to vision a future with a sweet running machine making some really coooool things.

It all depends on what you paid for the machine. If you got a really good deal, well then these things can be expected. If you didn't..........................well yeah, you are coming up on the short end. We have all been there. The thing now is to vision a future with a sweet running machine making some really coooool things.
$1450

Tell me, the factory in which this machine was apparently heavily used, with the really cheap maintanence department, replaced the precision, high radial loads capable bearings, with just a regular sealed bearing.

The bearing ran smooth until I put some oil in it and it loosened the grease, now it does a bit of clunking when spun. Is that a bad bearing disguised by grease or does the bearing require grease over oil?

Second, with the machine in the shape it's in, and it's just a home shop machine, is it worth putting that super expensive bearing in? Or will a good quality regular bearing suffice?

Back