Bardons & Oliver #5

E

ecdez

Forum Guest
Register Today
I'm going to look at a Bardons & Oliver #5 tomorrow and would like to do as much research up front as possible, but there is surprisingly little to be found online. There are some historical documents on the company website that are helpful, but still not the details I am looking for.

What I'd like to know is:

What is the bar capacity?
What collets does it take? It appears that the B&O collets are numbered, but do the numbers coincide to the machine size (#5 collet fits #5 machine)?
Can I mount a jaw chuck to the machine should I need to sometime in the future? (It's a bar machine)

The machine comes with a good selection of turret tools and collets and is less than 3 miles form my house, so all this is good. I'd really rather show up knowing what I'm talking about and what problems to look for.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Corey

I'm going to look at a Bardons & Oliver #5 tomorrow and would like to do as much research up front as possible, but there is surprisingly little to be found online. There are some historical documents on the company website that are helpful, but still not the details I am looking for.

What I'd like to know is:

What is the bar capacity?
What collets does it take? It appears that the B&O collets are numbered, but do the numbers coincide to the machine size (#5 collet fits #5 machine)?
Can I mount a jaw chuck to the machine should I need to sometime in the future? (It's a bar machine)

The machine comes with a good selection of turret tools and collets and is less than 3 miles form my house, so all this is good. I'd really rather show up knowing what I'm talking about and what problems to look for.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Corey
Corey, I wound up with a box of B&O collets, did the same research and came up empty. I checked Hardinge and they still produce the collets for big dollars. If you buy the machine drop me a line and let me know the collet size, if I remember correctly they were #5, about the size of a 5C.

I've done a little more research since posting this and stumbled across some potentially useful info.

If you look at page 15 in the pdf at this link (http://www.bardonsoliver.com/pdf/UniversalTurretLathes/UTLTooling.pdf) you can see dimensions for the collets and pads.

It appears that the #5 lathe can use #7 or #9 collets depending on the master collet which is also dependant on the size of the spindle nose. Good news is if this is correct, even the smaller of the two sizes can hold a 2" bar which is what I was looking to be able to do.

I'll find out for sure tomorrow, but there appears to be about a dozen collets of some sort (maybe a mix of solid and master) and at least 40 pads which would equate to 10 sets of 4 if no pieces are missing. This would potentially give a range about 20 or so sizes of bar that can be held without me having to track down accessories. This is assuming that there are no repeats.

I could be wrong on all this, I'm just piecing it all together based on the limited info I have on hand.

-Corey

So I picked it up this morning.

BO1.jpgBO2.jpgBO3.jpgBO4.jpg

Check out the size of this motor!
BO5.jpg

Various turret tools, collets, pads and misc that were included.
BO6.jpgBO7.jpg

BO1.jpg BO2.jpg BO3.jpg BO4.jpg BO5.jpg BO6.jpg BO7.jpg

Forgot to update this, but I got it off the trailer and into place in the garage. I thought I was going to die that night as I did most of the moving by myself. I only got one picture during the process. I was too preoccupied at the time to take more.

moving.jpg

moving.jpg

Apparently, the previous owner (a machine shop) got it with a bunch of other tools but never had a use for it. He wasn't there when I picked it up, but his shop foreman helped load it and told me they tested it a few years ago and everything worked. I didn't ask, he volunteered and he knew I already bought it so he wasn't trying to sell me on it so I feel reasonably confident that it will run. I plan to take the motor off and clean it before I hook it up to power. Check the fluids, oil it up good and get it going. I have stuff I need to make on it.

Corey--very nice machine--do you have the approx wt of it? --you should change your no tresspassing sign to say protection by BIG--BIG lathe DOG inside-------------------:roflmao:

I have sign making equipment so maybe I'll make one of those for the garage.

The shop I got it from would not lift it with their 5k forklift because it made the back wheels bounce. Once I got it close to the wall, I picked it up with a pallet jack that has a 4600# safety valve. Either my valve is bad, or it's less than 4600#, but it can't be by much.

I finally got around to cleaning out the garage and setting up a space for this beast. Sure takes up a lot of room. I wired it up to make sure the motor worked and the spindle moved first so I would know what I was working with. It seemed worked fine so I decided it was time to dig in. First thing I noticed is that the collet closer lever wouldn't budge.

Turret Lathe 008.jpg

Turns out the culprit was this guy here. It was my understanding that this was supposed to fit pretty loose so it could slide back and forth to open and close the collet. This one though, was snug tight and had to be "persuaded" off. No rust underneath on either part so this is a bit of a mystery. Might have been replaced at some point with an incorrect part but who knows. It has no clearance to the shaft, maybe even a bit of a press fit. I guess I'll have to chuck it in the lathe and shave a tiny bit off. I need to clean off my small lathe and re-level it as I just moved it so that will be on hold until the weekend at least.

100_1340.JPG

Here's the shaft it came off of. It's a bit buggered up on the end but that's out of the area where the above item sits. Those threads are mashed where a set screw sits but surprisingly the piece that sits on the end here screws on and off just fine which is OK by me. This is a repair I would not want to undertake.

100_1332.JPG

Since I'm on hold in that area I decided to take the turret off as I could not get it to rotate. After getting it off, there wasn't much of a mystery as to why. Caked up grease and a thin layer of rust can cause a lot of problems. Looks like the plunger was stuck too. I hose it down with WD-40 and it moves now but I'm not sure it's going all the way. Looks like I'll need to take it all the way down to the saddle to check everything out. If the grease is caked up here it's probably caked down there too. That turret was super heavy. the pictures actually make it look worse than it is. I sprayed it down to clean it off so some of the rust is suspended in the fluid making the whole thing look awful. It should clean up nice.

100_1333.JPG 100_1334.JPG

Pulled the plunger tube out to clean the inner bore of the spindle while I was at it. Here's a picture for future reference.

100_1337.JPG

Back