Basic Question On A New Pm 25

mwest

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,
My PM 25 arrived last month and I finally have it bolted down and cleaned up. Tonight I wanted to setup the vice and went to chuck a collet...

So this is me first time with any milling machine... first I grabbed a collet pushed it up into the head and rotated it until the keyway indexed and it slipped in. Then I grabbed the spindle and rotated with no effect.

Looking at the internet it seems a drawbar should be turned from the top. Checking the manual it seems there is a long threaded rod in the tool box aka drawbar... Now I presume this is inserted through a hole from the top of the machine that is concentric to the spindle. It seems that this should be under a black plastic cap on top of the milling machine.

Any tips on removing the black plastic cap and inserting the drawbar?

Sorry for the complete rookie question.

Thanks,
Matt

The cap is a dust cover to keep chips out. It should just lift off with a bit of effort to disengage the small ears that hold it in place. Then the draw bar will slip through the center of the spindle to tighten the collet or chuck.
Dave

Thank you Dave. Was able to figure it out this evening. Indicated the vise square using the dro and an edge finder. (Still don't have a dial test indicator) Ordered some steel to make some t-nuts.

Back